dpad or analog?

• Thread starter crimsonsky
  • 9 comments
first i'd like to say i'm new here to the forums and to drifting in GT4, and would like to say hi to everyone.

i guess u can say that right now, i'm going back and forth between using dpad and analog, because when i use the analog it feels like i can countersteer more accurately, but i dont feel as comfortable with steering as dpad, since i always used dpad for normal racing. so bottom line, im more comfortable with dpad, but i think i should try getting used to analog for better drifting?

thanks for the help!

From GT Planet Acceptable Use Policy:

No slang words that promote laziness, ie; “r”, “u”, “plz”, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums.

Please don't use txt slang like "u" in your future posts here, and also note that using the shift key to make "i" into "I" makes your posts look considerably better. Bear this in mind going forward, it's a requirement, not a request. 👍 Thanks.

From GT Planet Acceptable Use Policy:

No slang words that promote laziness, ie; “r”, “u”, “plz”, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums.

Please don't use txt slang like "u" in your future posts here, and also note that using the shift key to make "i" into "I" makes your posts look considerably better. Bear this in mind going forward, it's a requirement, not a request. 👍 Thanks.

Ah, sorry I wasn't aware of that policy. I will keep that in mind.

It depends really on your style. But Analog would be better IMO. Also,I wonder if you searched before making this thread. Not only Analog is can be better steering but more in control and precise. But like the controller buttons, the D-Pad might need a thumb sensitivity.

It depends on whatever you're comfortable with. I personally think analog is best, but there are plenty of players here who say d-pad is better, and they've been using the d-pad for years sucessfully. I bought a wheel about a year ago, but it felt way too sensitive. It was like all a sudden i was a sucky newb player with a wheel! And so i wound up returning it back to GameStop.

Since you can use both analog and d-pad for steering in gT4, i've been in the habit of using analog 80% of the time, but switching momentarily to d-pad as i'm rolling down a straight, to get those 'slight" steering movements. And then sometimes i'll even switch between the 2 as i'm cornering, too..it all depends.

Basically, analog is quicker than d-pad, but d-pad offers a finer system of movement. Try this: take a car (any car) and sit in it with the full car view (so you can see your front wheels). Now press "look behind" so you see the entire front of your car. Make sure you're not moving--you're just sitting there parked, looking at the front of your car. Steer fully with analog. Now steer fully with d-pad. See how analog is quicker?

Depending on mood I use both. When I'm racing, I go D-pad and have learnt to drift via this method when the rear steps out and I can keep the angle going. But when it's all out getting the biggest angle I can possibly get or on a tight twisty track, then it's sticks all the way. :D

Analog is way better because you have more control of the throttle and the brakes. Giving you an advantage over the computer cars. it is the most precise way of driving

Analog is way better because you have more control of the throttle and the brakes. Giving you an advantage over the computer cars. it is the most precise way of driving

Not entirely. With the analog accel/brake, you CAN'T have both on at once.....use the buttons and you can brake into the corner while still having your accelerator depressed. Watch the F1 drivers and their braking styles, they have both pedals pressed down in some sections. Michael Schumacher was the perfect example of this style of driving. ;) This Youtube video shows the differences in styles between him and his former teammate at Benetton years ago, Johnny Herbert. It also tells of his throttle & brake control and steering in graphical terms, comparing the telemetry between him & Herbert.

Watch it and you'll see what I mean. :)

I've JUST started trying to drift, and I've actually found the analog stick to be easier to steer. I just use the pressure sensitivity on the square and X buttons to feather the brake and gas, but the way I found it was easier, was from just feinting the car left to right on long wide straights. using the D-pad any amount of angle would cause your countersteer to throw the car into a spin, where with the analog stick, you can ease the car back and forth as long as you were careful not to throw the stick one way or the other too fast.

Back