DR and SR Issue?

• Thread starter PsyRonin
  • 19 comments
Germany
Germany
PsyRonin
So... I joined some daily racing yesterday night. Started with a DR A (about 50 % in) and a SR S. I got pushed and knocked around in the first race. No changes to DR/SR. I managed to avoid all contacts in the second race and came in clean. After the second race I noticed my SR went from SR S to SR B which made me a little angry because it means that now I have to deal with the destruction derby lobbies once again. So I lost motivation and turned the game off.

Today i logged in again, did one race. Finished clean, 5th place - even if i got spun by some guy. So I was excited to see if my SR went up again, at least to SR A ranking.

To my surprise I was ranked down to DR B (about 10 % in) and SR C!
I couldn't believe my eyes, thought it might be a bug or mistake, joined another race B. A lobby full of DR C and DR B drivers with very low SR. I was set on pole being almost 3 seconds faster than 2nd on the grid. Got taken out in the tunnel, almost ripped my wheel from the seat in anger, and turned off the PlayStation.

What is going on in GT? Just randomly losing about more than one DR rank and all of my SR?

I was so happy about making my (DR) way up in mostly clean lobbies and have real races with good people.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I couldn't find anything around the web.

Last edited:
If your SR drops 2.5 levels below your DR, your DR will be reset to a lower level. This has been the case since GT Sport launched in 2017.

For reference, 2.5 levels is two entire letters and half the number of points between levels. If you are DR A and your SR drops to SR C and 30 points or less, your DR will be reset - although from recollection it should be reset to DR C at around 8,000pt, rather than the DR B you note here.

As for your SR falling, a few people have noted recently that SR appears to be easier to lose than gain and I'm not sure entirely what's going on. However the "clean race bonus" shouldn't be taken as a sign you finished the race clean and should gain SR as a result; you note that you "finished clean" after getting "spun by some guy", but you will have lost SR for that contact.

Last edited:
I think what you're describing happened to Wind on one of his recent streams. As you can see here, at the end of the race he is a A|S driver (on his NA account) but once he exits he got demoted to SR B. As you see, he is as confused as anyone.

As it sounds, he was very close to becoming A+ on that account, but due to the SR demotion (per Famine's explanation above) his A got reset to zero progress.

He goes back and watches the replay and nothing in there seems to warrant a two rung demotion in SR; there wasn't even an in-game penalty given. Maybe it was all those little bumps? Hard to justify if that is the case. Especially odd seeing how there are the big name trolls out there who seem to crash people all the time, rack up double digit time penalties, but are still SR S.

Hard to know what's happening behind the curtain.

If it makes you feel better, in 1 day I went from a very stable AS to BD. All because of a couple of crashers on Trail Mountain's Race B, and my pride.

@Famine I understand. I didn't mean the clean race bonus only, but literally having no contact at all, not leaving track, no wall grinding and no penalties.

I can't judge the drop of SR happening at a much higher rate than raising it because I've always been SR S (with exception of the mentioned shenanigans mentioned on the bottom of this post.

I just don't want to believe that other players mistakes made my DR and SR rank drop to beginner levels.

@Talon16 This is exactly how felt. But in my case it was all the time people crashing (not only bumping) into me several times. For example, going side by side and suddenly the guy next to me pulls straight into my car.

I also watched my replays as I always do because I really want to improve and become a good driver. (I'm pretty serious about that...) There was nothing but the things I mentioned earlier.

I remember when GT7 came out I lost all my DR and SR (going from high DR B and SR S down to DR C SR D) for the rigged penalty system by people intentionally making contact with you and then leaving the track, brake checking on straights or similar d*ckmoves.
Did PD go back to that system but maybe leaving out the penalties you got every time you had a minor contact?

It took me half a year of almost daily racing to get back to where I was and then continue to improve. I really feel screwed right now.

@hardvibes Thanks, but actually it makes me feel worse. haha

Last edited:
I'm noticing it's easier to lose SR.

Race B at a Trial Mountain has me bouncing between S & A all week. And I am a very clean driver, it definitely seems like you are docked more points per contact than before.

IMO it's a good thing, when it dropped to A for the first time it put me on alert to be extra careful. Unfortunately some aggressive defending moments have kept me on the threshold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe track limit penalties hit your SR too.

@PsyRonin maybe you're getting docked for others' contact with you, I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty system isn't very perceptive given its history.

Last edited:
Maybe SR loss is set too high right now. Maybe this needs to be dialled back a little to allow racing and progression. Maybe the player base needs this as A/S players have been caught out with too much dirty driving... Lots of variables. From what I've been seeing the A/S guys have been brutal and desperate to get A+/S in game.

Could be that the game needs to be strict to ensure no contact racing, which should be the aim of any good racing game.

Going off track and touching cars should come with SR down imo.

Last edited:
IMO it's a good thing, when it dropped to A for the first time it put me on alert to be extra careful. Unfortunately some aggressive defending moments have kept me on the threshold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe track limit penalties hit your SR too.

@PsyRonin maybe you're getting docked for others' contact with you, I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty system isn't very perceptive given its history.

It is a good thing I think, but it drives me crazy when I get punished for other people's bs....

I would love to come up with an idea how PD could make the penalty system and the DR/SR scoresystem fair - but I just dont have any idea other than ghosting everyone throughout the whole race or through corners - which on the other hand takes away the spirit of racing. Maybe just ghost all the people until they reached a specific rank, and then downrate them if they make contact in the higher non-ghosted races. I don't know.

I'm just really fed up with this **** now because it was a whole lot of work to make my way to where I was and it's a pain to work through the lower lobbies (especially with those destruction drivers)
Maybe SR loss is set too high right now. Maybe this needs to be dialled back a little to allow racing and progression. Maybe the player base needs this as A/S players have been caught out with too much dirty driving... Lots of variables. From what I've been seeing the A/S guys have been brutal and desperate to get A+/S in game.

Could be that the game needs to be strict to ensure no contact racing, which should be the aim of any good racing game.

Going off track and touching cars should come with SR down imo.

Yes, but I didn't make contact and contact also didn't happen because I was breaking too early or cutting someone. It was always the other driver who went into me by mistake, misjudging himself or on purpose (I can't tell what's going on in their heads and hands)

Going off track should affect your DR, not your SR. Making contact should affect your SR. Totally agree. But it should not affect your SR if someone runs into you.

It is a good thing I think, but it drives me crazy when I get punished for other people's bs....

I would love to come up with an idea how PD could make the penalty system and the DR/SR scoresystem fair - but I just dont have any idea other than ghosting everyone throughout the whole race or through corners - which on the other hand takes away the spirit of racing. Maybe just ghost all the people until they reached a specific rank, and then downrate them if they make contact in the higher non-ghosted races. I don't know.

I'm just really fed up with this **** now because it was a whole lot of work to make my way to where I was and it's a pain to work through the lower lobbies (especially with those destruction drivers)

Yes, but I didn't make contact and contact also didn't happen because I was breaking too early or cutting someone. It was always the other driver who went into me by mistake, misjudging himself or on purpose (I can't tell what's going on in their heads and hands)

Going off track should affect your DR, not your SR. Making contact should affect your SR. Totally agree. But it should not affect your SR if someone runs into you.
I would just try to see the incident before it happens and give them a wide berth in the meantime. It'll probably get changed soon enough. Drivers will always make mistakes. I aim for absolutely zero contact when I race, from myself and from others around.

I disagree that going off track does not warrant an SR down though. If you're going off track you're not exactly a safe driver. Plus when a driver rejoins it can prove dangerous to others on the road as many drivers just jump back on the circuit at the closest intersecting point. Not exactly safe, so should affect safety records 100%.

Going off track should affect your DR, not your SR. Making contact should affect your SR.
DR is how fast you are. SR is how you drive.

Driving off-track is how you drive, not how fast you are.

Yeah, my ratings have taken a big hit this week with the Trial Mountain race. Not that I care much about the ratings.

The whole system is flawed. There isn't enough people playing most of the time to have races in your DR/SR class so you get matched up with idiots. You can race as clean as you want but it doesn't matter. What matters is the other people hitting you. The poors with one red bar wifi connection ruin it for everyone too because they'll be glitching into you and into 1st place somehow. Sport mode is a joke and just frustrating.

DR is how fast you are. SR is how you drive.

Driving off-track is how you drive, not how fast you are.
Leaving track (or driving outside the limits) to cut corners or using additional space makes me faster.

Violation of limits on straights usually only happen to avoid contact with people that drive dirty.

To me it’s still: driving off track should affect your DR, and your definition of what affects DR and SR somehow proves my point of view.

But please tell me where I‘m wrong. (This is a serious request as I think it sounds sarcastic)

Last edited:
But please tell me where I‘m wrong.
Sure.

SR is a rating of how you drive. Driving off-track is how you drive. Driving off-track therefore affects SR.

DR only cares about who you beat (or who beats you), not how you do it.

Sure.

SR is a rating of how you drive. Driving off-track is how you drive. Driving off-track therefore affects SR.

DR only cares about who you beat (or who beats you), not how you do it.
Ok thank you! I thought DR simply tells how fast you go (by beating other people) and SR tells how fair you interact with other cars around you. There might occur situations that make those two hard to tell apart but that was my general understanding of how things work.

Yet it is still annoying how other player's behavior impact on my game experience. There must have been a change in the rating because I experienced much worse races that didn't downrate me unless I was the one driving like a drunken monkey with their hands cuffed on their back.

I'm really trying my best to be fast and fair, I replay almost every race to see if I did something wrong to improve myself. If there was the slightest semblance that I am mistaken I wouldn't say anything. But losing all my progress in 2 to 3 races for one or two idiots that can't keep their cars under control just kills it for me... :-/

EDIT: Just did another race. Was "clean" (bonus) but I got three (!) penalties in a row for cutting the 2nd corner. Don't know what happend, I might be tired. Start to finish P2, I couldn't keep up with P1 for the penalties but P3 never came closer than 5 seconds... So from what I might just have learned that should have had a bad impact on my SR, right? But I got upranked to SR B again... (Remember, the last race before that I aborted realizing that my downrank seems to be real and being send to the shadowrealm by somebody)

Last edited:
@PsyRonin I really feel your pain.

Back in GTS I was determined to get out of SR B as fast as possible, not because of bragging rights or anything like that, but because I yearned for clean fair racing. I'm not trying to say A and upwards you don't get boneheads, but at least 90% of drivers understand what it means to win properly.

I will add, a lot of it can't be pinned on the drivers' cleanliness, but sometimes there are players who just aren't quite up to the challenge and have their own bad moments when battling.

Sometimes when I dip back into DR B I worry that a downward spiral might begin.

@PsyRonin I really feel your pain.

Back in GTS I was determined to get out of SR B as fast as possible, not because of bragging rights or anything like that, but because I yearned for clean fair racing. I'm not trying to say A and upwards you don't get boneheads, but at least 90% of drivers understand what it means to win properly.

I will add, a lot of it can't be pinned on the drivers' cleanliness, but sometimes there are players who just aren't quite up to the challenge and have their own bad moments when battling.

Sometimes when I dip back into DR B I worry that a downward spiral might begin.
Exactly what I think. I experienced this spiral at the early stage of GT7. It was a pain in the exhaust to make my way out of the lower DR/SR lobbies as people continously kept abusing the penalty system to their advantage.

I really care(d) about my ranks as it put me into better lobbies with better drivers. Not for bragging about A/S rankings because I know I'm still 1 to 1,5 seconds slower per minute compared to the "real guys". Faster and particularly cleaner driver's come along with better races and that is where I start to enjoy the game. Not to mention the points you get in GTWS. Luckily there isn't any championship at moment....

But now it seems like it is what it is and I have to make my way up to the "top" again. sigh

Last edited:
I haven’t raced in a while before this week, but I had a similar experience with daily race B, got crashed into a lot and went from A/S to B/B over a single night. Climbed back to A/A at some point and it didn’t last, the closer rolling start gap is not healthy for anyone who isn’t in the top split.
The most annoying thing is when I was bumped into the wall, I got 1.5s or 3s penalty for colliding with the wall, the penalty system is even more unfair than it was. You could say that avoiding contact, even others’ massive stupid or malicious dive bombs, is your own responsibility, but come on, even F1 drivers get caught in accidents all the time when they are dive bombed, if the best drivers out there couldn’t do that, how could you ask that on average players?

Last edited:
I have a question for all who say that the driving in A/S is dirty. Are you in the PS4 servers or the PS5 ones? We know they are both separate. I have a theory that their are more dirty players on the PS4 lobbies. Are they equally the same to you, or different?

From the beginning of GT7 until this june 2022 I was playing on PS4 Pro. In this times I remember many "bad" races with dirty drivers.
Now since then I got to A+ and also created a second account, just for racing in the beginning of the week or when track doesn`t fit me. In my Main-Account I naturally try to get as good as possible qualifiying time.
Now for me the Lobbys are cleaner now. Can`t say if this is about the "PS5-Players".
My Second Account now also is at 49.600DR, so nearly A+ also. I did about 110 daily races races, 24 wins and 63 Top-5. Good score I think. :-)

In my opinion the first 5-6 places are racing fair because they accept/knew --> Not attacking the opponent ist better than both flying out of the track an got last.

I am a very clean driver, but also make mistakes sometimes, letting less space and touching others in the breaking zone for example. But I am "always" on A/S or A+/S.
Now what I recognice is that the cutting penalties must have a uge impact. In Monza this week I get a penalty every second round. NO RACE WITHOUT PENALTY! :-)
The rest of the race is clear and no contact and although I fell down to SR --> B last race.
So If I dont change my cutting stile expecially in Monza right now, I probably will get an DR reset...:-/

I hab exactly the same expierience on the red bull ring GT3 last time. Too many time penalties and SR fell down to B. :-(

Does anyone know if there ist a possibility to see the SR going up or down? In GT Sport there was, as to see here:

Back