Drag Suspension?

• Thread starter Denezin
  • 16 comments
United States
North Carolina
Denezin
So ive spent countless hours trying different suspension tunes to come to the conclusion, It pretty much does not matter. Am i wrong in this? I need a new direction to go in for tuning so if anyone can provide insight it would be greatly appreciated. Ive found the best tune for my cars is soft all the way around. But some still have traction problems (like my nova).

Thanks, That sucks i was hoping to be able to find a way to catch traction better through suspension tunes. My cars arent terribly tuned but they arent perfect.

Suspension can make a massive difference in drag racing !

If you don't believe me, grab a friend and use the exact same RWD car (eg. Ford GT500)

Make sure you do all the mods to the car, both are overhauled and even have the exact same gearbox tune.

Basically both cars are identical in every area that can be tuned.

Have one person with the ride height slammed, and the other fully raised.

Watch as the person with the raised ride height pulls away off the line from the slammed car.

yeah ive saw that. what im wondering is soft vs stiff toe angles chamber the works. Ive tried it all with some avail but not enough to go that is supremely superior to other tunes.

My mistake, I forgot he said drag suspension, in any case, any tuning in GT, you generally have to do maximum things in order to get minimal results.
Meaning no matter what you do, you'll never achieve realistic results for how much suspension can improve a cars traction through a drag race.(or any race for that matter) Imho, of course.

Like all forms of motorsport the suspension is all about weight transfer, get the maximum amount of weight onto the wheels where you need the grip (Weight = Grip)

If its a rear wheel drive vehicle then you are looking to transfer as much weight to the rear wheels as quickly as possible without overwhelming the tyres.

To achieve this:

Front - Stiff springs, normal ride height, mid damper compression, low damper extension, 0 camber, 0 toe (maybe a bit of toe in [+] if you are struggling with stability)

Rear - Soft springs, high ride height, low damper compression, mid-high damper extension, stiff rear ARB, 0 camber, 0 toe

Meaning no matter what you do, you'll never achieve realistic results for how much suspension can improve a cars traction through a drag race.(or any race for that matter) Imho, of course.

Agree'd.

It's like being number 1 at Guitar Hero. It doesn't mean you can play a real guitar.

Last I checked, being number 1 at any video game doesn't mean you can replicate it in "real life". Just a silly way people that dislike different games tried to discredit them imo.

Like all forms of motorsport the suspension is all about weight transfer, get the maximum amount of weight onto the wheels where you need the grip (Weight = Grip)

If its a rear wheel drive vehicle then you are looking to transfer as much weight to the rear wheels as quickly as possible without overwhelming the tyres.

To achieve this:

Front - Stiff springs, normal ride height, mid damper compression, low damper extension, 0 camber, 0 toe (maybe a bit of toe in [+] if you are struggling with stability)

Rear - Soft springs, high ride height, low damper compression, mid-high damper extension, stiff rear ARB, 0 camber, 0 toe
This all makes me want to see that gain that can be had. I'll see if I get some time to make some 1/4 mile runs, and how much or little the suspension tuning helps.

Last I checked, being number 1 at any video game doesn't mean you can replicate it in "real life". Just a silly way people that dislike different games tried to discredit them imo.

This all makes me want to see that gain that can be had. I'll see if I get some time to make some 1/4 mile runs, and how much or little the suspension tuning helps.
By tuning the suspension you should be able to launch more effectively and reduce wheel spin, once the car is in motion then it all comes down to power, gearing and aerodynamics 👍

If you send me a sample tune then I will have a go at refining the suspension to enhance the launch, you can then compare it to you own version to see if you can feel a difference :cheers:

1970 Chevrolet Nova SS Drag Tune 1 (Ran as an automatic 2 speed.)

Tires
F:Racing Soft B:Racing Soft

Suspension

Ride Height
F:155 B:155

Spring Rate
F:4.17 B:2.70

Dampers Comp.
F:1 B:1

Dampers Ext.

Anti Roll Bars

Camber Angle
F:0 B:0

Toe Angle

Brakes (Racing)
F:5 B:5

Transmission (Full Custom)

Top Speed:261

1st:1.620
2nd:1.015
3rd:0.792
4th:0.573
5th:0.442
Final:3.420

Drivetrain

Limited Slip
Torque:60
Accel:60
Braking:60

Clutch (Triple Plate)

Driveshaft (Carbon)

Power (All Upgrades)

Engine Stage 3/Sports Computer/Racing Exhaust/Isometric Manifold/Sports Catalytic Conv./Inake Tuning/Supercharger.

Nitrous 50%

Body (All Upgrades)

Body Rigidity: Upgraded

Weight Reduction Stage 3/Carbon Hood(Body Color)/Window Weight Reduction.

Ballast

Weight: 200kg

Postion: 50

Downforce

Stats

PP: 581
HP: 797
Weight: 1472kg
F/R Weight Dist:48/52

Displcement: 6590cc
Torque: 818ft/lb
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,811in.
Width: 1,839in.
Height: 1,334in.
Power To Weight Ratio: 1.84kg/hp

Last edited:
By tuning the suspension you should be able to launch more effectively and reduce wheel spin, once the car is in motion then it all comes down to power, gearing and aerodynamics 👍

If you send me a sample tune then I will have a go at refining the suspension to enhance the launch, you can then compare it to you own version to see if you can feel a difference :cheers:
I'll have one up soon as I get a chance. 👍

1970 Chevrolet Nova SS Drag Tune 1 (Ran as an automatic 2 speed.)

Suspension

Ride Height
F:155 B:155

Spring Rate
F:4.17 B:2.70

Dampers Comp.

Dampers Ext.

Anti Roll Bars

Camber Angle

Toe Angle

Brakes (Racing)
F:5 B:5

Transmission (Full Custom)

Top Speed:261

1st:1.620
2nd:1.015
3rd:0.792
4th:0.573
5th:0,442
Final:3.420

Drivetrain

Limited Slip
Torque:60
Accel:60
Braking:60

Clutch (Triple Plate)

Driveshaft (Carbon)

Power (All Upgrades)

Engine Stage 3/Sports Computer/Racing Exhaust/Isometric Manifold/Sports Catalytic Conv./Inake Tuning/Supercharger.

Nitrous 50%

Body (All Upgrades)

Body Rigidity: Upgraded

Weight Reduction Stage 3/Carbon Hood(Body Color)/Window Weight Reduction.

Ballast

Weight: 200kg

Postion: 50

Downforce

Stats

PP: 581
HP: 797
Weight: 1472kg
F/R Weight Dist:48/52

Displcement: 6590cc
Torque: 818ft/lb
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,811in.
Width: 1,839in.
Height: 1,334in.
Power To Weight Ratio: 1.84kg/hp
What tyres are you using?

Any and everything if you thing it will quicken times. Ive made a new manual four speed startin in second. Each gear drops from 8k to 6k rpms to keep it in the dyno band and i saw maybe a 10th of a second quicker time.

Back