Dragon Slayer [Now with pics of us driving!]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keef
  • 18 comments
  • 1,455 views

Keef

Premium
Messages
25,465
United States
OH
Messages
GTP_KeefRacer
It's out in the middle of nowhere. At the beginning is a lake, and at the other end are a few buildings lovingly referred to as Robbinsville, North Carolina by the locals. They all know the drill.

The sports cars, bikes, and Harley guys show up every weekend, crowding every hotel, motel, and lodge within 25 miles or more. There have been meets of 300 cars, but hundreds are motorcycles are routine, even during the week. There's been plenty of mishaps, too.

The road is US Route 129, which runs along the southern edge of Great Smokey Mountains National Park, and is about 40 miles southwest of Gatlinburg--right on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. You'll hear it called Deal's Gap, but Deal's Gap is actually the name of the pass through the mountains at the end of the road, in North Carolina. And yes, it's a public thoroughfare, which means there are regular people, regular cars, regular rules, and regular enforcement. Well, the latter is a little less "regular". Buhleeeeve me, they almost don't care. There's a line, of course, (it's double solid and yellow, actually) that shouldn't be crossed. That's why every single semi truck that's dumb enough to take the road gets a massive fine. Luckily I didn't end up wedged under a trailer with my head all wrong. It's happened. I've got non-graphic pictures to prove how dangerous and/or dumb (I'm biased toward "dangerous") the road is.

But I slayed that bitch.

Our cars. My Sol VTEC, My cousin's Cobalt SS S/C, Trev's B18'd EG6, and Aaron's $35K (blame NISMO) Sentra SE-R Spec V.


The GSR. The GSR's cooling problems. After another 40 miles of problems we left it for the trailer.


Comparing mine to his.


Slow digital cams are fun on East River Road.




Sunset in Tennessee on the way to the hotel. Still had an hour to go!


We're through The Dragon and nearing our hotel in Robbinsville. We were still kickin' it.


The next day (Thursday) at about 12:00pm we spot our first semi. We had to make a quick stop when the "safety" truck came around the blind hairpin.


Congregation of Harleys near the beginning (Tennessee end) of The Dragon.


After our hardcore midnight runs (a video may be in here sometime) I shot the dam at the bottom (NC side).


The brake dust. We weren't done yet, of course.


This attraction speaks volumes at the bike lodge on the NC side.










This is viewing The Hump from the west. Notice you can't see the apex on the right...


Ahh, there it is! Yes, Aaron is about six feet. The drop feels like 20...if you go fast enough :lol:


ARGH SCREWED UP MY SHOT.


The amateur race drivers. Myself, cuz Tyler, Aaron, and Trevor. Note the Honda hat and shirt...:sly:


I have lots more pictures but most don't have anything to do with The Dragon. I'll still post a few of them up, because they still have cars and booty and...:odd:
 
👍 Nice man, if there was a point to point race to be had in GT5, it would be the Dragon. Hooray for you not dieing!
 
See, now this is an awsome idea, if somone would just organize it legaly! I mean seriously, it's the backroads. We've got roads like that around here. Take a nice twisty section of backroad and CLOSE IT OFF. that way, all the traffic is going one way, and you've got two lanes to play with for a bit more fun! Seriously, even if they charged five bucks, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
 
Funny that the fastest thing you've taken a picture of is a patrol car.
 
There were a few goofy things I thought were picture worthy...

I yelled a big "WTF?" and took a pic as the old lady climbed into this.


Gatlinburg was jam-packed with fine booty for a national dance competition, but this is by far the thickest ass I saw.


.....:odd:


How could you not notice this, seriously?


The further south you go the bigger the bugs get. This one was a good 5 inches wide. But it's got nothing on Florida.


So, my hood is as high as his bumper, eh? Seriously, out my window I'm staring at Tyler's door handle.


Does this make him an ace?


It's too bad this wasn't around for the "most out of place car" sighting comp.


And how could I not take a picture of this sunglass shop? :D
 
nice one, thanks :) 👍

Nice one Keef - I would really like to take a bike to the Dragon at some point.

@Nightmage - Why quote all the pictures ?...
 
Funny that the fastest thing you've taken a picture of is a patrol car.

Shame you'll never take your mustang for fear of the solid rear skipping ur fat ass off the road lmao.

Here are my 3 comments

1) NICE CURB RASH LMAO
2) That EG looks v nice
3) YOU LOOK LIKE A BIG NERD KEEF

Also nice trip report.
 
👍 Nice man, if there was a point to point race to be had in GT5, it would be the Dragon. Hooray for you not dieing!

'tis on the GT5 Track Wishlist.
 
I bet that was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the pics. If I lived close enough to this I would have went for sure with my Camaro.
 
Here's a link to one of those Dragon pictures sites. These pictures are better than Killboy's, because it shows us going harder. We were on our last run, in the rain, on the way to Gatlinburg with trunks full of luggage. I was trying to catch my buddies because I had to stop.
 
Some pretty cool shots of you guys on that site. I would have loved to have gone if it was anywhere near where I live, you should add it to the GTP meets and see if anyone else from this board in the area would be willing to go to the next one.
 
Nice run, but you'd never get that road closed for time trials. Too many trees and rockfaces.

I suppose it's not stopped the Isle of Man yet, but they're all a bit odd up there. :D I love 'em for it, too.
 
The road would be the perfect setting for American Touge, time trials, tarmac rallies, whatever. Too bad it's a public highway, route 129. But man, it might as well be a private racetrack at 1 o'clock in the morning! :sly:
 
I bet that was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the pics. If I lived close enough to this I would have went for sure with my Camaro.

We should make a road trip out of it, bud. ;) Show off the ride, hit some apex's, have a blast... you know, the usual. :D

Great photos, overall. 👍

I must admit, Cobalt's are one of the worst designed cars I've seen. With that high of a trunk, you could hit a kid in the street, and never even see him/her. :grumpy:
 
Dude I live in North Carolina and I have never heard of the "Dragons Tail"
 
deals gap looks awsome man!iwant to take my dads XJ8 down there some time and wreck i mean play with it
 
yay if i had the cash i'd take the Mazda and My Accord up there with a buddy of mine. talk about some fun .
 
Seriously, even if they charged five bucks, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Too bad it would be more like fifty bucks, if not five hundred, to be able to do that.
 
Back