Dramatic Differences of Aperture - Demonstration

United States
Colorado
Just Chyllan
Hey all this is somewhat of a tutorail that I wanted to throw together because I have been noticing some photos that could look very realistic, but suffer from the less detailed surfaces of Horizon.

Now let's start. What can ruin a good picture is the less rendered surfaces being in focus, typically the ground. I am going to show two pictures from the dirt road down to the dam, but one looks much better than the other.

The first one I used very little aperture (about 7-10) and you will notice how the rocks in the background look jagged and the dirt road in the foreground looks more like a picture of dirt was copied and pasted to the ground, and distorted.

So to detract from the make shift ground and to attract attention to the realism of the car, I bumped up the aperture to about 25-30, decreasing the amount of foreground in focus and make the background softer. This is the result. (this picture is zoomed out more, but the car is in the same poition and location)

Notice how less of the dirt is in focus and the rest has been fuzzed out, bringing attention to the realism of the car and less attention to the poor detail of the background.

That sums this up, just something I've noticed and I think can massively improve a photo.

While you are correct, I'm pretty sure this is common knowledge.

This is the reason why lenses in real life with very large apertures are so desirable....and expensive.

While you are correct, I'm pretty sure this is common knowledge.

This is the reason why lenses in real life with very large apertures are so desirable....and expensive.

Anyone with some background knows lol browse the photo threads you'd be surprised haha.

And trust me I know. My Nikkor wide angle didn't come cheap :irked:

Anyone with some background knows lol browse the photo threads you'd be surprised haha.

And trust me I know. My Nikkor wide angle didn't come cheap :irked:

Nikon! :cheers: Good glass makes the difference. No doubt there are some beginners who will be helped by your "tut", thanks for posting it.

Back