Drift School: Lesson 1

• Thread starter Picc84
  • 17 comments
AmuseR1
NOTE: I got really board one night, found printouts of all the other guides, decided to make my own very special one! :scared:

Welcome to Picc's Drifting School! I'm well... Picc, and I figured, I've been drifting for about a year now, and I wanted to see if my skills held up in a guide, so here I am! Right now, writing this in wordpad (because MSword is being a nutcase...) So I have no spell check, and well, I suck at spelling and grammar, Please excuse all... haha. During these lessons, I used the Amuse S2000 R1 Tuned Race version. The car was the easiest for me to drift when I began, and I'm still having the most fun with it. It slides great, and has allot of style and cred. This guide will pretty much be for that car, although the techniques are the same for all as well as the explanations...

Keep the car stock, and enter arcade mode's Time Trials... Turn all Aids off, and slap some N1's or N2's on that beast (eco is what I find to work the best)

Lesson 1: Getting Sideways'

The Feint
-
EXPLANATION: Most FR cars have pretty centered weight balance. But when you apply the throttle going in a straight line, your weight is shifted back onto your back tires like your coffee on the way to work in the morning. Your aim during the Feint technique is to throw your weight onto the front tires. This is done by breaking during the feint to slide the weight forward. This takes weight off the rear wheels, Making them easier to slide and break traction.
TECHNIQUE: As you approach the turn, Go wide about a car width apart from the outside strip of the track. As the turn in point comes, turn toward the outside of the corner and break quick. Let go of the break, and get on the throttle quick. Turn into the corner and get some oversteer going. Your tires are now smoking and your car should be sideways...

Lift Off-
EXPLANATION: During the Lift off Technique you use the fact on the cars weight being centered. There is no feint or breaking involved so it sounds hard, which is why I picked this car, Because I know this car is more than qualified to do this technique EASY
TECHNIQUE: For this one, you can align yourself in the same position as you did for the feint. As you approach the turn in point, once again, off the throttle... but this time, just turn in hard, once the car shows signs of oversteer and your tires screech, get on the gas and counter steer. But not to hard... I know that when I learned this technique, The car kept spinning to the outside of the turn after i countersteerd, because i would not let the car get enough angle before countersteering... You should be sideways at this point...

Power Over-
EXPLANATION: The Power Over technique uses the same principle as the Lift Off, but backwards, relying on torque... It causes the rear wheels to break traction via overpower and not weight transfer.
TECHNIQUE: Again same place as last, maybe abit wider... Coast in and keep your revs low in the powerband... As your time comes to turn in, hit the powerband and turn! Your car will DEFIANTLY be sideways at this point. Learning when is the perfect time to Lift off the throttle to maintain and when to begin the countersteer using this technique is kinda tricky, But you will get it after a few spin outs...

These three techniques Seem to me, and I'm sure a few others, to be the best and easiest of all for this particular car. Just take one or two grip laps around the track before throwing it around if you have not before, when you hint that powerband, you will feel your tires breaking traction even when not trying to drift...

Thanks for reading through Lesson one. Lesson two should be out next week sometime, and that will teach you how to STAY in your drift, and exit properlly...

ooh you got served.. that wasn't much of a guide because it only states Entry techniques...

no tips on countersteering, throttle input, and an explanation to the physics in this..

Nice try though man 👍

It's not a big deal. But it is in the guide that BL and I made. Although, I do need to find the videos and re-upload them.

Mixed opnions! Thanks guys, I was looking for exactly what you guys all said! And yes, everything is in all the other guides, But sometimes, or atleast I find it to be. Easier when written a diffrent way. and Sometimes it takes a few times to find that certain way that you understand the most.

Yes Trico, It is only lesson one... lesson two will be up in a few to explain how to keep the drift, and exit. along with many many many troubleshooting tips...

At least you're trying. It takes a lot of time to put together drift guides. I should know, I've put quite a few together myself (as well as many settings in the drift Depot). Some of you may have even used them to learn how to drift. Swift is right, a comprehensive guide already exists, and it's a good one. However, no one is stopping you from making one of your own. So, good luck. I look forward to checking it out!

;)

Well, people may understand this guide than the alternative. Hence why people go to other sites with those drift guides.

Well Take your Time, noone is in a hurry or in desperate need. But im sure some of us are eager to read the rest of this guide of yours.

Just a heads-up: the lift-off technique will not work for some LSD setups (usually with 2-way and similar).

In reality, only the power over, feint, and e-brake techniques are practical in Gran Turismo 4, with a DualShock 2 controller.

Lift off works for me quite consistently. Then again, I use an FC LSD and tune to be able to knock the tail out.

And for me, e-brake does not work.

Just a heads-up: the lift-off technique will not work for some LSD setups (usually with 2-way and similar).

In reality, only the power over, feint, and e-brake techniques are practical in Gran Turismo 4, with a DualShock 2 controller.

That's not entirely true. Quite a few of us GT drifters use lift off quite often. Dynamic drifting is one of my favorite styles. Very graceful. Whether it's an open diff, or 2 way, lift off can indeed be utilized. I use a wheel for every game now, but I was an avid Dual Shock drifter (you may have seen some of my videos in the GT3/GT4 video sections accesible from the GTP home page) when I was playing GT3/GT4. The only difference between using a wheel over a controller is the feel you get from the wheel (force feedback) which lets you feel when the car begins to understeer/oversteer, hit the rumble strips, etc... GT4 is difficult, and has some flaws that make it HARDER to do some techniques, but all in all, everything is still very much possible. Just my .02 cents.

;)

Am I the only one who combines techniques? I mean normally when I feint I'll let off the gas the get back on it when I'm heading in the correct direction. Or if I'm coming to a hairpin like on autumn ring mini I'll do a feint combined with hard braking.

And on the subject of the e-brake, I wouldn't recommend using it to start your drifts with, as much as I would in order to 'save' or prolong your drift.

Am I the only one who combines techniques? I mean normally when I feint I'll let off the gas the get back on it when I'm heading in the correct direction. Or if I'm coming to a hairpin like on autumn ring mini I'll do a feint combined with hard braking.

And on the subject of the e-brake, I wouldn't recommend using it to start your drifts with, as much as I would in order to 'save' or prolong your drift.

To be a well rounded drifter, you MUST use a combination of techniques. I don't think many people use just one technique to initiate, extend, and/or exit a drift situation.

;)

Back