Drift Setup For Subaru Wrx Sti '05

• Thread starter JDM_Subaru
  • 20 comments
Uh well thats more powersliding, like Ken Block :sly:

Try tuning it up and the 4WD Torque Distribution to 10/90 which makes it basically RWD.

I'm sure you're aware of how much 10/90 torque "drifters" are looked down upon lol.

If it's not fully RWD, don't even bother bro.

I'm sure you're aware of how much 10/90 torque "drifters" are looked down upon lol.

If it's not fully RWD, don't even bother bro.

I know, just saying to this guy, im not fond of 4WD Drifting, RWD is the way to go.

I love using 4WD to drift in. I do a complete top performance upgrade including rigidity no turbo. Drop suspension as low as it can go. Torque distribution 35/65, LSD 25/60 - 25/60 - 60/40

Of course I play around with these settings but its my general rule..

I do a complete top performance upgrade including rigidity no turbo. Drop suspension as low as it can go. Torque distribution 35/65, LSD 25/60 - 25/60 - 60/40

Just...wow. So you don't even attempt to get it as close to RWD as possible? And, with the suspension slammed and binding, how is the weight of the chassis supposed to transfer on initiation and transition? All about as logical as attempting to drift an X1.

I love using 4WD to drift in. I do a complete top performance upgrade including rigidity no turbo. Drop suspension as low as it can go. Torque distribution 35/65, LSD 25/60 - 25/60 - 60/40

tumblr_m1u40u15ez1qgnwo3o1_500.gif

350x396px-LL-3d8a6bf0_350x700px-LL-e79852e4_2j4812t.gif

JDM_Subaru
I need to find a drift setup for the Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI Spec C Type RA '05, help!

Regardless if it is power sliding or not.

Honestly you should start by putting

Torque converter- 10/90 split
LSD- Front 5/5/5 (put the rear at something you are comfortable running. I would use 5/60/60)
The reason for setting the torque split at 10/90 and the front LSD to 5/5/5, is to make it more/closest to a RWD. It will be more realistic for drifting that way.

For a suspension
Run say,

Ride hight
Front -7 Rear - 15 (creates oversteer)

Spring rate
Try to keep it low. I usually run maybe one or two points above the minimal spring rate. As a example, if the lowest you can go is 3.0 on front and rear. I would run somewhere around 4.7 - 5.7 in the front and 3.9 - 5.2 in the rear.

On dampers
Extension- 1 in the front and 4 in the rear
Compression- 10 in the front and 3 in the rear
Anti-roll- 1 in the front and rear

Alignment
Camber- 3.0 - 3.5 in the front and 0 in the rear
Toe angle- -1.00 in the front and +.20 - +. 50 in the rear.

Regardless if it is power sliding or not.

Honestly you should start by putting

Torque converter- 10/90 split
LSD- Front 5/5/5 (put the rear at something you are comfortable running. I would use 5/60/60)
The reason for setting the torque split at 10/90 and the front LSD to 5/5/5, is to make it more/closest to a RWD. It will be more realistic for drifting that way.

For a suspension
Run say,

Ride hight
Front -7 Rear - 15 (creates oversteer)

Spring rate
Try to keep it low. I usually run maybe one or two points above the minimal spring rate. As a example, if the lowest you can go is 3.0 on front and rear. I would run somewhere around 4.7 - 5.7 in the front and 3.9 - 5.2 in the rear.

On dampers
Extension- 1 in the front and 4 in the rear
Compression- 10 in the front and 3 in the rear
Anti-roll- 1 in the front and rear

Alignment
Camber- 3.0 - 3.5 in the front and 0 in the rear
Toe angle- -1.00 in the front and +.20 - +. 50 in the rear.

I didn't think the request warranted a response but I can actually see this working. Damper settings are extreme but I figure they're due to the 4WD-ness, and the whole thing smells suspiciously like a wheel tune. :lol:

RayGunn86
I didn't think the request warranted a response but I can actually see this working. Damper settings are extreme but I figure they're due to the 4WD-ness, and the whole thing smells suspiciously like a wheel tune. :lol:

No problem.

Just give it a try. Yes it is actually a wheel tune. But it should work. Those damper settings I run on all of my cars.

I don't run 4WDs but this should work for you.

Last edited:
:lol: I don't run 4WD nor do I think they should be run, which is why I didn't think the OP deserved a response. I, however, do use a wheel and immediately recognized certain variables that looked wheel-specific.

RayGunn86
:lol: I don't run 4WD nor do I think they should be run, which is why I didn't think the OP deserved a response. I, however, do use a wheel and immediately recognized certain variables that looked wheel-specific.

Well the dampers are set that way not just for a wheel setup.

I understand. I am not too big on AWDs drifting (D1GP style is the reason). I don't care if he wants to run one, long as he can control it.

That's the reason why I said to use that particular LSD and torque converter settings.

I look at springs and dampers as variables that, more than anything else, control how power is put to the pavement. Yeah, longitudinal weight transfer influences lateral control, but not nearly as much as the other variables. The bars, camber, and toe settings are what really screamed "wheel" to me.

Anyway, just for gits and shiggles I gave it a go and, when driven properly without overpowering with the front end under lateral load, it can indeed be drifted. Good tuning.

RayGunn86
I look at springs and dampers as variables that, more than anything else, control how power is put to the pavement. Yeah, longitudinal weight transfer influences lateral control, but not nearly as much as the other variables. The bars, camber, and toe settings are what really screamed "wheel" to me.

Anyway, just for gits and shiggles I gave it a go and, when driven properly without overpowering with the front end under lateral load, it can indeed be drifted. Good tuning.

Glad you like it.

And yeah the thing is that all of those settings work together to improve the overall feeling/control of the car. It allows for a lot of angle and max grip at that angle. So instead of over rotating, it will allow the car to push itself around the corner while maintaining angle and speed

Back