Drift steer help please G27

SMOKEYYx187

(Banned)
United States
SoCal
SMOKEYYx562
I have ask a few questions bout drifting.. Etc. etc.

One main logic to drifting with a wheel, is what is best FFB or steer sensitivity, and what steering degree is used? 900* or anything less?

Im having trouble controlling my drift with a wheel. But still practicing...

Just curious what are wheel users drifting with?

Please&thankyou

Sim or pro? Whichever has no aids.
FFB 7
PS on
900*

Watch "in car" vids of wheel users and try to mimic what they do with their hands. When wheel drifting, try being smooth as a ballerina with your wheel...not spastic like the original harlem shake.

I am running on my G27 900° and FFB on 8.

Most g27 user use 900° where it comes personal preferences is the ffb and power steering on or off. I use power steering on ffb on 10.

Sim or pro? Whichever has no aids.
FFB 7
PS on
900*

Watch "in car" vids of wheel users and try to mimic what they do with their hands. When wheel drifting, try being smooth as a ballerina with your wheel...not spastic like the original harlem shake.

Thank all of you guys, for answering. I will try it with power steering.

Does real life drifters use power steering, just curious.

Yes, unless they drive a corolla or fc. Some drivers prefer a depowered rack in their fc or hachi, which can fall anywhere in between no power and full powersteering.

Yes, unless they drive a corolla or fc. Some drivers prefer a depowered rack in their fc or hachi, which can fall anywhere in between no power and full powersteering.

Did you learn with power steering "on"?

I have it off and I have trouble correcting, and holding a drift..

But once I get home ill try it for sure..

Did you learn with power steering "on"?

I have it off and I have trouble correcting, and holding a drift..

But once I get home ill try it for sure..
its not always about have you have your wheel setup everyone's different try it out and see what you like. One thing you have to remember is you cant just change your setting and just be a awesome wheel user it takes time and practice to get good on the wheel.

FFB - 6
Power steering - off (note, no other setting effect the wheel, as noted by the wheel icons greying out)
650*

Learned to drift on GT5 using a 270* wheel, Maybe even turned less than that. When I got the g27 though, I had a hard time holding a drift. I was so used to the near instant counter lock that I struggled getting the wheel all the way around for a big drift. Eventually I got "race" drifting down, where I kept the angle far to shallow. Then I discovered the thread in the hardware section. I set it first to 270*, now that is to fast. 650* though seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Do it anytime after the wheel calibrates when you first load the game, to reset back to the default setting you will need to unplug and replug in the USB.

900 Degrees, FFB 10, and Power Assisted Steering off.

Also try to stay away from limiting the degrees of rotation... it will sacrifice your smoothness by a huge margin.

900 Degrees, FFB 10, and Power Assisted Steering off.

Also try to stay away from limiting the degrees of rotation... it will sacrifice your smoothness by a huge margin.
I'll disagree with that to a point. For me 270* is very rough, 650 though, smooth as silk. 900* and I can't get much past the first couple of turns before snap steer gets me. Like most settings, it's a preference. Just gotta experiment until you find what's good for yourself.

Racing I use 650 and 900 I use for drifting.

If you know how 650 works you can drift with it, but my preference is towards 900 because I find it easier to hold big slides with more degrees of rotation.

I'll disagree with that to a point. For me 270* is very rough, 650 though, smooth as silk. 900* and I can't get much past the first couple of turns before snap steer gets me. Like most settings, it's a preference. Just gotta experiment until you find what's good for yourself.
Yes very true it is kind of a personal thing.

I suggest 900 degrees though honestly. It takes time to get used to. You can never just hop on and immediately get it.

Honestly the snap steer can happen but it also depends on your setup, drifting style, how much throttle to how much counter steer, ect to why you are getting snap back.

My reasoning for saying that about smoothness is that the more degrees of rotation the more smooth your steering will be.

I tried for close to 6 months to get 900 down. It wasn't so bad in gt5, but gt6, getting that wheel around was a struggle. Maybe cause I was too used to the Momo wheel. Idk. But 650 got me drifting again. Now I just gotta get the rig back together. This ds3 crap is for the birds.
Edt:
When I race though, I try to keep it "true to life" age set the ratio as close to a cars as possible. Except F1 style cars. 270 just isn't happening. So twitchy.

I'm possibly going to start practicing on a G25 soon, so question (I suppose the answer is obvious, even by the posts here, but just confirming); Will it be easier/faster/more rewarding /LESS FRUSTRATING to start with on 270, 450, 670 º ?

I'm possibly going to start practicing on a G25 soon, so question (I suppose the answer is obvious, even by the posts here, but just confirming); Will it be easier/faster/more rewarding /LESS FRUSTRATING to start with on 270, 450, 670 º ?

I used to start drifting with 670, got the grasps of that and changed to the 900 degrees.

Took me less than 4 days to switch, but then again I wasn't learning how to use a steering wheel at the same time so you may take a little longer dependent on how long you play around with the wheel.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I see several people everyday (on my friends list) going from DS3 directly to 900º and, obviously struggling and getting very frustrated for a loooooong time. I used a DFGT for a couple of weeks on GT5 (started learning) and understand the frustration, let alone in GT6 !
I won't even dispute the fact that 900º is more realistic and makes it much smoother, but I don't accept that one has to go from 0 (DS3) to 100 (900º on wheel) directly, to the point of quitting all toghether (seen it happen many times) or simply ripping the wheel apart on plain frustration...
That was the point of my question, I'm seriously considering starting on a low angle to learn - can't be worse then DS3 in terms of wheel twiching - and possibly going from there.

Thank you.
I see several people everyday (on my friends list) going from DS3 directly to 900º and, obviously struggling and getting very frustrated for a loooooong time. I used a DFGT for a couple of weeks on GT5 (started learning) and understand the frustration, let alone in GT6 !
I won't even dispute the fact that 900º is more realistic and makes it much smoother, but I don't accept that one has to go from 0 (DS3) to 100 (900º on wheel) directly, to the point of quitting all toghether (seen it happen many times) or simply ripping the wheel apart on plain frustration...
That was the point of my question, I'm seriously considering starting on a low angle to learn - can't be worse then DS3 in terms of wheel twiching - and possibly going from there.

I think the best way to lessen the steepness of the learning curve is honestly racing or driving with the 900 setting first, this is what I did on my first wheel (DFGT) before I got into the jist of investing into a G25.

I think the best way to lessen the steepness of the learning curve is honestly racing or driving with the 900 setting first, this is what I did on my first wheel (DFGT) before I got into the jist of investing into a G25.
Yeah, I was thinking the same just now.

Back