Drift Tuning: A Hopefully Clear Guide

United States
Midwest USA
twodogsgolden
Intro:
This is for beginners, I will not tune cars for you, I feel like my time would be better spent educating people on how to tune drift cars.

This is for a DS3 controller, may work with a wheel.

My goal is to help your car drift better

You want to promote understeer in a drift car, setting the car up to oversteer would make it a bitch to drift.

*note* these numbers came from a '88 iroc z concept, focus more on the definitions and what each setting does then apply it to your car. These numbers are guidelines.

Ride Height:
I like to set my ride height 5 above both front or back. Most people prefer a lower rear end higher front end. Lower rear end will put more weight on the rear giving the the rear end traction.

Spring Rate:
I like to go to 11k in the front and about 6k in the rear
A stiffer front will provide more stability and in this care give more understeer.

*note* these values change from car to car, I try and multiply the rear buy 1.8 to get the front. I find that is my most successful ratio.

I left dampers alone

Anti-roll bars:
You will want stiffer anti-roll bars in the front to promote understeer and softer in the rear. I'm not 100% exactly how this helps, I know it does promote understeer in the rear. I do find that with 6 in the front and 3 in the rear I find the car very controllable and gives a good feel for the rear end.

Camber:
This is just finding what works for you in the front, usually 1.5-3 degrees, set your rear at a low amount like .2 degrees or less. Front camber will put the tire flat during a turn and since your rear tire is spinning, you want it flat so you have more "front bite" during the drift.

Toe:
I'll try and do my best to define toe here as it applies to drifting.

Front:
"Negative toe increases a cars cornering ability. When the vehicle begins to turn inward towards a corner, the inner wheel will be angled more aggressively. Since its turning radius is smaller than the outer wheel due to the angle, it will pull the car in that direction." (yospeed.com). I like to go with about -0.06 degrees of toe in the front.

Rear:
Since we are trying to promote understeer on our drift car we want positive toe on the rear. Positive toe will push the wheels together, adding grip ,and promoting understeer. I haven't dialed in a good setting, but I like to be around 0.05-0.1 degrees of toe in the rear.

LSD (Limited Slip Differential):

I like a locking diff, with a locking diff the tires will spin at the same speed no matter what.
to set this up you will set the initial torque to 5, acceleration sensitivity to 60 and braking sensitivity to 60.

Quoting TwinTurboCH:

"'Acceleration' setting determines how much the LSD locks under acceleration, 'deceleration' setting determines how much the LSD works when under deceleration, fairly simple.

In RWD drift car, you want LSD effect under accel and decel, hence it's called a 2-way diff, because it provides LSD effect i both directions, accel and decel. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 60

Some race RWD's use what is called a 1.5-way, which provides full LSD effect under acceleration, but only 50% of that LSD effect under breaking, which helps stop the back end breaking away on the way into corners in tail-happy cars. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 30

FWD's use what is called a 1-way diff which only works under acceleration, meaning that turn-in is not affected in any way. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 5."

Any more questions? Check out these links.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/general-tuning-guide.297354/

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1201-basic-drift-chassis-setup/viewall.html

http://www.drifting.com/forums/tech...setup-toe-camber-spring-rates-learn-here.html

Please let me know if I have anything correct. If you disagree with how I have it set up I will be more than happy to. Please do not say I have something wrong then don't give an explanation why it is wrong, that is helpful for no one.

Best of luck with your drift cars, I hope you guys learned something.

Last edited:
About roll bars; I've actually heard/read the opposite.
Softer front with more camber will increase lateral traction (which is a good thing, right?).
Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

About front toe: Negative front to increases initial turn in grip but sacrifices mid corner grip

Rear toe: Negative rear toe promotes stability, positive makes it more unstable.
I find around 0.16 is usually the sweet spot for stopping snap oversteer

Spring Rates: Stiffer springs do not give more grip, they only give more stability in terms of weight transfer, Softer springs provide more grip but are more susceptible to weight transfer.
Too hard = the car skips due to not being able to dampen the forces
Too soft = The car wallows and gets pulled around by its own momentum

Camber = Currently not working, only removes grip from the wheels

About front toe: Negative front to increases initial turn in grip but sacrifices mid corner grip

Rear toe: Negative rear toe promotes stability, positive makes it more unstable.
I find around 0.16 is usually the sweet spot for stopping snap oversteer

Spring Rates: Stiffer springs do not give more grip, they only give more stability in terms of weight transfer, Softer springs provide more grip but are more susceptible to weight transfer.
Too hard = the car skips due to not being able to dampen the forces
Too soft = The car wallows and gets pulled around by its own momentum

Camber = Currently not working, only removes grip from the wheels
Okay thank you for the input, I'll edit that in. A higher spring rate will be harder to compress so it should increase grip. Sorry I can't think of a good explanation for that off the top of my head

Softer front with more camber will increase lateral traction (which is a good thing, right?).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're thinking of sway bars
11raogx.jpg

Okay thank you for the input, I'll edit that in. A higher spring rate will be harder to compress so it should increase grip. Sorry I can't think of a good explanation for that off the top of my head
You are right to some extent, hard springs promote stability but not necessarily grip. When cornering the suspension needs to be able to absorb the lateral motion of the car and lessen the load transferred to the tyre. If the springs are too stiff then the motion is not dampened and the force is transferred straight to the tyre which overcomes the friction, forcing the tyre to lose grip and slide. This is fine on the rear for a drift car but is not good for the front wheels where grip is important. The same thing can happen with overly soft springs if the ride height is too low, the suspension compresses to its limit and bottoms out, transforming from a pogo stick to a solid bar instantly and causing the same basic problem - too much force transferred to the tyre too quickly.

Anti Roll bars are beams that connects the top of the suspension on both sides of the car, their purpose is to solidify the upright sections of the suspension (springs/dampers). By keeping the suspension geometry solid and locked it is possible to set the car up a lot more accurately because of the lack of flex in the system, this can however lead to problems such as making the car feel twitchy and overly sensitive. They tend to be used to exaggerate or lessen already present handling characteristics such as under/over steer by lowering or raising them.

You are right to some extent, hard springs promote stability but not necessarily grip. When cornering the suspension needs to be able to absorb the lateral motion of the car and lessen the load transferred to the tyre. If the springs are too stiff then the motion is not dampened and the force is transferred straight to the tyre which overcomes the friction, forcing the tyre to lose grip and slide. This is fine on the rear for a drift car but is not good for the front wheels where grip is important. The same thing can happen with overly soft springs if the ride height is too low, the suspension compresses to its limit and bottoms out, transforming from a pogo stick to a solid bar instantly and causing the same basic problem - too much force transferred to the tyre too quickly.

Okay thanks a ton! I used such soft settings in the rear as I find it makes the rear end more predictable and controllable. Since the weight distribution on this car is 57 front - 43 rear, I increased the front spring rate quite a big to make up for the weight. I was noticing issues where the back end would come out on me as the front would grip and spin the car, this has also gone away with stiff suspension in the front. Seems to help it slide a lot smoother as well.

Okay thanks a ton! I used such soft settings in the rear as I find it makes the rear end more predictable and controllable. Since the weight distribution on this car is 57 front - 43 rear, I increased the front spring rate quite a big to make up for the weight. I was noticing issues where the back end would come out on me as the front would grip and spin the car, this has also gone away with stiff suspension in the front. Seems to help it slide a lot smoother as well.
The trick is to find the balance, that's all there is to it. Not too stiff, not too soft, not too grippy, not too slidey

The trick is to find the balance, that's all there is to it. Not too stiff, not too soft, not too grippy, not too slidey
Pretty much, there's more than one way to set up suspension. It really comes down to driving style and what you like. Thanks for the help dude.

Back