Drift Tutorial & Setup in Project CARS

I finally did it! I been working for this drift setup forever and I finally found it. If this drift tutorial help please **** that Like button and also share this video with your friends. Let's built up Drift Community in Project CARS, Thanks for watching! :D

Copying your tune isn't going to make people drift.
They need to learn from trial and error with their own driving style.

Sorry for for the bump. Is it me or for pretty much all cars, the traction control is locked on. In the gameplay settings I have mine off but in the tune sheet it's locked with a small percentage (ie. 9%).

I've checked a bunch of cars and it's all the same but with with a different amount. It's gonna be hard drifting in this game unless they allow us to remove it completely.

Edit: I'm a noob :lol: it can be turned off.

Last edited:
Sorry for for the bump. Is it me or for pretty much all cars, the traction control is locked on. In the gameplay settings I have mine off but in the tune sheet it's locked with a small percentage (ie. 9%).

I've checked a bunch of cars and it's all the same but with with a different amount. It's gonna be hard drifting in this game unless they allow us to remove it completely.

Edit: I'm a noob :lol: it can be turned off.
I noticed the 9% or so on multiple cars...How do you fully turn it off?

How about inspire and then learn! just did my own setup, I can tell that lowering and hardening the suspension is a must only if you need it for your style or the car is too soft, most of these cars in PC are hard enough, must to do was lower the acceleration to fast (close gears), pump the tires up at maximum, if the car dosnt have handbrake put regular brakes to brake at 60% at the back, and lock as much as possible the diferential (as I undestand the lower the number the more you lock it)... and more tiny bits.. I liket GT6 tuning much better, PC has very limited options but nice plus sides!

@Tvensky, I think you have the diff backwards. The higher the number, the more it looks. The description in game says that increasing the Accel value increase grip under acceleration and leads to understear, which is what locking a diff causes. In game says a lower Accel value allows for more maneuverability, but can cause wheelspin exiting slow corners (the inside wheel is spinning), which is what happens with a more open diff.

@Tvensky, I think you have the diff backwards. The higher the number, the more it looks. The description in game says that increasing the Accel value increase grip under acceleration and leads to understear, which is what locking a diff causes. In game says a lower Accel value allows for more maneuverability, but can cause wheelspin exiting slow corners (the inside wheel is spinning), which is what happens with a more open diff.

really akward, Im on PS4 and it says the opposite.. for me it says the lower the number the less control and maneuverability.. I will test more this and check it out! Thanks for the info.. that part of PC cars is really weird.. :)

really akward, Im on PS4 and it says the opposite.. for me it says the lower the number the less control and maneuverability.. I will test more this and check it out! Thanks for the info.. that part of PC cars is really weird.. :)
Really? I'm on PS4 too, and I was looking at my TV when I wrote that. I'll double check but I'm pretty positive that higher numbers equal more lock.

Edit:

My game, on the PS4, clearly says,

LIMITED SLIP ACCEL LOCK
High settings here give the car better traction coming out of corners but may limit your ability to turn. Lower settings reverse this making it easier to turn but with the possibility of wheelspin on exit of tight corners.

LIMITED SLIP DECEL LOCK
As with the Accel Lock, higher settings make the car more stable decelerating into a corner but limit the cars ability to turn. Lower settings improve this turning ability but make the car less stable when approaching a corner.

LIMITED SLIP PRELOAD
Adjusts the amount of built-in lock before any Accel or Decel effects take place, as in a neutral throttle position. Low settings here improve maneuverability whilst high settings reduce it.

Either we have different versions of the game (Mine is a disc, bought in North America) and have discovered a major screw up, or you're reading the description backwards somehow.

Last edited:
Either we have different versions of the game (Mine is a disc, bought in North America) and have discovered a major screw up, or you're reading the description backwards somehow.

lol, I still dont get it.. :D since English is only my third language I use daily, I really may to misunderstand something.. :)

Limited slip accel lock:
Lower settings reverse this making it easier to turn but with the possibility of wheelspin on exit of tight corners.

this is what I found weird.. isnt the wheel spin bigger, with locked diff when going out of the corner? :)

LIMITED SLIP DECEL LOCK
As with the Accel Lock, higher settings make the car more stable decelerating into a corner but limit the cars ability to turn.

well I need to drift.. I need the car to be less stable and dont need limiting ability to turn..

something is really fishy around here :D

if the wheels are locked car should behave more agresive, more sharp turn able.. but the description says otherwise.. I will try out when I will be able to.... this far no worries! just having a conversation! ;)

lol, I still dont get it.. :D since English is only my third language I use daily, I really may to misunderstand something.. :)

Limited slip accel lock:
Lower settings reverse this making it easier to turn but with the possibility of wheelspin on exit of tight corners.

this is what I found weird.. isnt the wheel spin bigger, with locked diff when going out of the corner? :)

LIMITED SLIP DECEL LOCK
As with the Accel Lock, higher settings make the car more stable decelerating into a corner but limit the cars ability to turn.

well I need to drift.. I need the car to be less stable and dont need limiting ability to turn..

something is really fishy around here :D

if the wheels are locked car should behave more agresive, more sharp turn able.. but the description says otherwise.. I will try out when I will be able to.... this far no worries! just having a conversation! ;)
Sorry mate, it's not fishy, that's how a limited slip diff works. I went through all this while trying to learn diffs in GT5 and GT6.

The last bit, where you say "the more locked a diff is, the more aggressive, more turntable the car should be" is 100% incorrect. The more locked the diff is, the more understeer you get. If you ever get a chance, putt around a parking lot in a car with a welded diff...it's like sailing a boat :).

I recommend checking out the tuning sub forum of GT6 on this site, there are good write-ups on how a diff works.

Sorry mate, it's not fishy, that's how a limited slip diff works. I went through all this while trying to learn diffs in GT5 and GT6.

The last bit, where you say "the more locked a diff is, the more aggressive, more turntable the car should be" is 100% incorrect. The more locked the diff is, the more understeer you get. If you ever get a chance, putt around a parking lot in a car with a welded diff...it's like sailing a boat :).

I recommend checking out the tuning sub forum of GT6 on this site, there are good write-ups on how a diff works.

same here mate.. I already did it fine with GT5 and GT6.. thats what i miss now.. but I just cant explain my problem clear for you, since I run out of words! :)

I just clearly didnt understand project cars differential tuning.. the first time I turned on the game I was thinking just like you, the problem was that it didnt quite represent it right in the actual game.. thats why I went tuning and tried out many options... now still after testing about 5 cars (just now) I still dont understand which is the right thing in PC! it just dosnt work here... its not a drift game.. BMW e30 cant be fully locked or "unlocked" :) so I barely even notice the difference there, same with RUF, the only car that felt different is that old mercedes, with that car it seems that you are right.. and from the start I was doing those 100%.. but after some time I have doubts! for other cars felt better to do 0%! So now I dont know.. seems I need more weeks to test it.. :) for everyone else, this far I think it should be like you say, lock is at 100%.... just dosnt work for me, some cars gets worse, some better....

thanks for the advice! ;)

Last edited:
GT6 and Pcars LSD are similar, Initial in GT6 is preload in Pcars, accel and braking are what they are. Live For Speed equivalent is clutch pack LSD ( preload, accel and braking )

Pcars preload destription is fine :

LIMITED SLIP PRELOAD
Adjusts the amount of built-in lock before any Accel or Decel effects take place, as in a neutral throttle position. Low settings here improve maneuverability whilst high settings reduce it.

Quoted from @twitcher post

Try this tune that I made with the help with another member here @Mike_grpA :

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/85919427

It uses closest possible setting for spool ( full preload, accel and brake ) as pcars do not have spool diff, it was tested on 900 degree wheel.

same here mate.. I already did it fine with GT5 and GT6.. thats what i miss now.. but I just cant explain my problem clear for you, since I run out of words! :)

I just clearly didnt understand project cars differential tuning.. the first time I turned on the game I was thinking just like you, the problem was that it didnt quite represent it right in the actual game.. thats why I went tuning and tried out many options... now still after testing about 5 cars (just now) I still dont understand which is the right thing in PC! it just dosnt work here... its not a drift game.. BMW e30 cant be fully locked or "unlocked" :) so I barely even notice the difference there, same with RUF, the only car that felt different is that old mercedes, with that car it seems that you are right.. and from the start I was doing those 100%.. but after some time I have doubts! for other cars felt better to do 0%! So now I dont know.. seems I need more weeks to test it.. :) for everyone else, this far I think it should be like you say, lock is at 100%.... just dosnt work for me, some cars gets worse, some better....

thanks for the advice! ;)
All good. English is my first language and I have a tough time putting my thoughts into words at time :lol:

If I can make some recommendations for testing diff settings, as well as testing cars for drifting in PC:

- first, pick a street car. Most of the racecars (except the really old ones) use slick tires, which are not ideal for drifting. Also, racecars are designed to not drift, so making them drift can be very difficult.

- to test diff settings, find a big, flat area (one of the paved runoffs at Dubai or Hockenheim works), and slowly drive in circles while feathering half throttle or less. Start with a low Accel setting, and drive some circles. Then start increasing the Accel value, and continue to drive the circles. As you increase the Accel value, you should notice that you get more and more understear. You can test the preload in a similar way by trying to drive circles while coasting (neutral throttle). Testing Decel outside of race conditions is a little trickier (a decent place to test Decel is the Dunlop/Sud Curve at Nürb GP). A lower Decel value will allow a sharper and more agressive turn-in while under braking, while a higher value reduces the severity of the turn in. Too low and you will get oversteer when turning in, too high and you will get understeer.

Another thing to keep in mind when tuning a diff is that all of the in game descriptions apply to when the drive wheels have traction (ie, they are not spinning). Once you brake traction however, those descriptions go out the window.

The general rule for drifting is that once traction is broken, everything becomes backwards to normal driving (eg more throttle makes you go slower, you turn left to go right, etc).

When talking about the diff when drifting, a higher Accel value will lead to a more stable, predictable rear end, as the torque is being distributed more evenly between the left and right side. Locked diffs tend to allow for a greater drift angle as well. Lower settings cause the rear to be less predictable (what the game describes as "stable"), and lead to a shallower drift angle, which in turn leads to higher drift speeds.

Some people prefer a 1.5 way diff for drifting (decel roughly half the value of the Accel). A diff like this allows the driver to rapidly open and close the diff by playing with the throttle, which can add an aspect of control. This is common in Japan where the style is more focused on high speed entry and then slowing down as the drift progresses.

The last thing to keep in mind is to not get mixed up between how easy it is to get a car to brake traction vs how easy it is to drift. A diff with low lock settings will tend to be able to initiate a drift more easily than a locked diff (due to the torque split left to right, which causes the unloaded wheel to spin), but once traction is broken, will tend to be unstable and unpredictable. A diff with a higher lock value will cause the car to be more difficult to initiate (requires more agressice weight transfer, or a clutch kick), but once the drift is initiated, the locked diff will be much easier to control and will result in smoother drifts.

All that said, pCARS sucks for drifting :lol: I challenge anyone who thinks pCARS physics is the cat's meow to attempt to drift. There is a serious issue with either the physics engine, or the tire model, or both, as soon as traction is broken. I mean no Offense at all, and commend @MrAngryBirds' efforts, but compared to drifting in Grand Turismo, Forza, rFactor, Asseto Corsa, or LFS, the drifting in pCARS looks like ass.

All that said, pCARS sucks for drifting :lol: I challenge anyone who thinks pCARS physics is the cat's meow to attempt to drift. There is a serious issue with either the physics engine, or the tire model, or both, as soon as traction is broken. I mean no Offense at all, and commend efforts, but compared to drifting in Grand Turismo, Forza, rFactor, Asseto Corsa, or LFS, the drifting in pCARS looks like ass.

Agree! What I liked about GT6 is that I could fully tune it (any car..) and it worked like it should :) PC cars really limits tuning and my abilities :D also what you said about "as soon as traction is broken" I barely can understand what will going to happen, car seems want to stop drifting ASAP, this game is made for grip mostly! Seems that if I will learn to drift in PC cars, I could drift anywhere.. it takes alot of practice!

Hope PC will update the game and make tire changes possible to any we need... this far it seems they want to make the game as real as possible (its a good thing), somehow taking fun out of it! :)

Thanks for the deep info!!

Last edited:
While I was testing LSD and fine tuning, managed to create a drift montage video in free time! All done in these couple of days! with some help from GTplanet guys with tuning of course.... :cheers: :gtpflag:

Thrustmaster T300, with 900 degree rotation (hard work!) :D

Latest Posts

Back