Drift

• Thread starter MarcoM
  • 6 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
MarcoM1972
Hi,

After having put a lot of kilometers racing in GTpsp I now have found a new way of enjoying this still marvelous game: Drift

Initially I was quite bad at it. Seeing the vids of some of the members made me jealous.

I think the drifting in GT4 was too hard, for me at least. With pro physics and N3 tyres in GTpsp it is quite enjoyable. I tried the RX7 FD, the BP RX7, HKS Sylvia. All very driftable.

I do not understand the Blitz. It seems to long for easy drifting.

My favourite tracks so far: Tsukuba and the Autumn ring. I see many people like Trial Mountain in GT4. In find TM to difficult with all the hilly sections. Maybe if I get more experience I will give it a go again.

Last edited:
WELL . . .

I'm not sure what level your technique is at, or your style, or whether you play in drift mode or time trial or race . . . but the fact you're saying that the hks silvia or the bp is very driftable indicates to me that you're either just beginning or extremely skilled.

that said . . . I personally do my 'drift' in time trial mode, I set a ghost first, with s2/s2 tires at 80% speed, just rolling around the track, then i switch to n1/n2 or n1/n3 and chase the ghost.

for me, the point in doing the excersise is to overcome the lack of traction with superior technique. infact, most of the time that i am practicing i am trying to drift less, but also brake less, of course, i still end up drifting so much that when i show my family they think that I am trying to drift as much as possible . . .

i suggest you try some less powerful FRs and really put some thought and theory into your tuning, just do time trial laps over and over using worse tires each time and try to really squeeze out the most exit speed from each corner at full throttle, you don't want to be fishtailing down the straight after each corner, that's not drift, that's just out of controll.

instead of the bp falken rx7, try the savanna infini, instead of the hks silvia, try silvia Q's aero '96.

some other cars to try would DEFINATLEY be the s.shigeno trueno sprinter by toyota,
my second favourite after that would be the nismo 270r.

I really suggest drifting in FR vehicles. you CAN drift in 4wd like GT-R and subaru, but this is really a different kind of drift, and to me, less fun. they are more sturdy feeling, and much faster than FR of the same horse power on the same tires, yet easier to drive,
which to me is not on the path of increasing skills and technique.

I'll go on a head and spell out the suspension tuning for drifting an FR because if you go look it up you're going to read some retard telling you to:

"play in drift mode, make it as light as possible and as much horse power as possible, u want r3 in front and n1 in back, the suspension really doesnt matter just make it default or maxed, whatever, it makes no differance no matter what" - which is probably true to the fellow drifting in this manner, tuning your suspension will have no bearing on your lap times if you are using such mismatched tires and crazy horsepower . . .

in all honesty, the car will pick you, you need to try out all the sexy FR's and feel them out. as your skills increase, you'll know what you're looking for.

what you're looking for is an FR that understeers, then, you want to make that understeer more pronounced.

lets pretend you start with the s13 240sx, an underpowered NA FR that understeers.
now, the suspension

how will we make this understeer MORE? . . . well

when you have loosey goosey factory suspension and you crank into a corner, the car rolls onto the outside front tire and turns into the corner. what happens if you take away that body roll ? where will the energy being transferred in that direction go ? into the tire.
and if you have crappy n1 tires?
to the outside of the road.

so, i turn up the front springs to 8. i choose 8 because 9 and 10 in my mind are rock solid, no movement, and 5 6 7 are all fairly firm sporty springs, and 1 2 3 4 are what i imagine stock suspensions have. so i choose 8 because it's not-quite 100% no movement.

next i match the front damper with 8

now. . the rear of the car, if we were to match it, with 8/8 springs and damper . . .

and we turn into a corner and the energy goes to the front ouside and those springs just hold strong and don't give and so the tire gives and . . . the front end is sliding to the outside
so we get back on the gas, lift some weight off that front end and onto the rear outside tire . . . and we spin out. phwew, almost slammed into the guardrail.

lets . . . decrease the rear springs to 4 or 5, and decrease the rear damper to 6 or 7.

okay so now when we roll into a corner, turn in, front slides out, punch the gas, the rear slides out and now the whole car is drifting. when you touch the gas, you increase the drift angle, when you let off the gas, the car slides more to the outside, losing speed and starts to roll forward more than slide sideways.

in this way, you can negotiate hairpin turns without barely any counter steering

so to sum up what i am trying to say about the suspension tuning . . .

as a general rule of thumb, the lower you make your car, the harder the suspension has to be. so if you make it too low, and tune your suspension accordingly, you'll just keep sliding out. I usually only lower it to 15 at the most, with the rear end 2 higher than the front.

next, i generally start off tuning all my cars with 8/4 springs (front/rear) and 8/6 damper, I usually increase the front toe IN to about .05 and decreas the rear toe in to .15
depending on the car and the suspension, I usually put the front camber to 2-4 with the rear being about half that, sometimes more sometimes less.
basicly, if i think the cars suspension will allow it to roll onto the the wheels, i set the camber so that the car is in full contact whilst rolled onto the wheel, which is why i use 8 springs and not 9 or 10, because i want it to still be able to roll onto that camber. even though we are trying to use crappy front tires, and increase the understeer, you still want that understeer to count for something, it's a form of braking, so the more contact that crappy tire has with the road, the more it can slow down and change the direction of the vehicle.

PS. TRIAL MOUNTAIN!
grand valley reverse !!!!! has to be reverse!!
El Capitan
infineon sports car track

and my fav, nurburgring reverse

not sure what kinda reply you were looking to get with that post but i hope my informations helps you to enjoy "drift"

Hi TrialMountain,

Firstly, thank you for posting this very good read. I actually gave up on drifting in GTpsp because of the bug I encounter many times while I start a full lap drift in Drift mode. When I want to press the start button, GTpsp hangs. The psp shuts down with a strange clicking noise and I have to reboot again.

But your post have made me interested again. Apparently you just drift in time trials. In that mode I won't have the crashing issue with GTpsp.

You are right I am a beginner. I have yet to tune my car. Your directions make sense. Except for creating more understeer. But I will give it a shot with the car you suggested.

I use Tsukuba because that is almost flat and thus a bit easier to get into. When you say Nurburgring Reverse, do you just go reverse in TT?

Again good read. Especially since I have not really much to do in the hospital (damn kidneystones again).

Marco

yeppers.

I can tell you EXACTLY how I have my trueno sprinter s. shigeno version tuned, right now, but i don't know if you own this car. 11 000 rpm redline is puuuuuure sex, and the gear box is set so you are really only ever in 2nd while drifting, 3rd in corners, and 4th on straights. it takes a real long straight to max out 4th.

0-70 1st gear
60-120 2nd gear
115-175 3rd
175 + 4th

5th gear WOULD top out around 275 I reckon but there's no torque up there so really the fastest i ever seen it is 253 on the test track . . . did a solid lap at 250, i cant say off the top of my head where 4th redlines =/

everything will be in a ( front / rear ) format

ride height -12 / -10

springs 8/4
damper 8/6

toe +5/ +15
camber 3.5/1.5

n2/n2 tires.
sometimes n1/n2
sometimes n1/n3
sometimes n2/n3

I find if i use n1/n1 i spin out and cant go fast.
if i use n3/n3 I understeer too much without getting "into" a balanced slide.
when i use n1/n2 it is pretty good, plenty of understeer but still easy to get into a slide

n1/n3 is good for speed coming out of corners
n2/n3 might end up being the tire set up for when I finally get 1:54:xxx on n1,n2,or n3 tires.

n2/n2 feels the best for practice though

here I made this vid right after posting so you can see why trial mountain is the bawmb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2NIDHAVvB8

I think I understand you now. You are not in it for getting points in drifting. You just want to have a lot of fun with the car, right?

Nice vid. Let's hope there will be some new Initial D series somewhere in the future :)

I did some more drifting in timetrial mode. I just stick to the default setup of the cars, except the tyre. I fit S1 tyres on all four corners. Oh the fun I have :)

Although I like the fact that Takumi's car is in GTpsp, I do not think it is a very good car. In the lower rpm range, it just does not respond to the gas.

Back