DRIFTING 4 DUMMIES V.1: FAQs, SETUPS, AND COMPETITIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Any car that is capable of going sideways through a turn can be a drift car.
2.Drift Competition and Challenges: Rules, Competitions, and Results
3.Drifting Faq's
4.Drift Settings Depot
5. If you follow any of these links, threads that you can post in will appear. :eek:
6. Have Fun...
7.Who to ask for help? : Nightkids4ever, Pergatory, Thio, Delphic Reason, Bengee, Battle Stage, or any of the other names you see in this thread.Lifestream's chatroom GTP IRC Chat Room created by bustwave.
8. And remember please use the search button prior to making threads.
9. If you are looking to join a team please go to the Teams Forum, and look around for some teams. ( Project D, MOnkey D, Team Slide Show, Drift Shift, Night Magik Drifting, etc.).

Brought to you by the letter D
A compilation brought to you by Exhaust Note, Ethix101, and Bengee
Some info every newbie should read:
New members, welcome to the forum! Read This...
How Long Do You Guys Practice For?
Just Some General Thoughts That Directly Involve Every "Drifter"
The Future of Drifting
Where can I host a video?

Drifting Guides:
Bryan C's Drift Guide
CudaMan's Drift Guide
Driftsession.com Guide
Monkey D's Drift Guide
Pergatory's RWD Drift Guide

Setup Guides:
Drift Settings Depot
Drift Settings, VERSION 2
Pergatory's GT3 Drift Settings

Educational Videos:
GRAN TURISMO 3 DRIFT BIBLE VOLUME 1

Example Videos:
http://pergatory.net/gt3/video.html
https://www.gtplanet.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=gt3_video
https://www.gtplanet.net/gallery/photos/gt3_video/grandorifto2.avi (ethix101's personal favorite)
Drift Videos

General stuff about settings and other info:
Camber Revolutionary Discovery!!!
Weight Transfer

Some of the more interesting discussions:
Drift Faster Than GripNow closed

Originally posted by Delphic Reason (AKA Silviadrifter)
Yeah, all I'm saying is that it would be beneficial to learn with sims. After learning how to control the car well with sims, you should then start trying other HP and tire combos. If you would have read the previous posts, you would know that. Furthermore, you only drift using slicks? You don't use any other HP and tire combos? I think you are limiting yourself if you don't try other methods IMHO.;)
Originally posted by battle_stage
Being a person of some sort of authority I to will go on record saying sims and a FR car is the most ideal for drifting. Even if you don't use this combination most of the time, you should at least have some experience in it.
Originally posted by battle_stage
The way I see it, if it's not RWD then it's not worth it. Yes, 4WD can drift, but that doesn't automatically make it ideal.
Originally posted by Ethix101
If you've never drifted before, I'd say start with some super-slicks. Use those until you get the basics down, then switch to sims. You could also start with stock-powered cars and use sims, but it's really up to you. Try both and see what you find easier. Eventually, you should switch to sim tires though as those are probably the best suited for drifting.
Originally posted by LanEvo
I never need the e-brake for FR cars on any form or combination of drift..not even on AWD do i use e-brake. The e-brake is a technique to use if you don't know how to break traction otherwise ;)
Originally posted by Ethix101
Actually..that's not entirely true (though you shouldn't have to use the ebrake on every turn). I use my ebrake all the time because on long straights before sharp turns you can do HUGE sidebrake drifts.

Originally posted by LanEvo
sims are designed to "simulate" real life street tires. and what exactly are you trying to do..."simulate" real life drift, correct? why not do what they do in real life...a few bolt on modifications, some decent street tires, and tons of skill.

in D1GP...it is ILLEGAL to use anything but street tires. in fact the cars must pass an inspection...requiring registration of the vehicle, as well as a decibal test in case the exhaust is too loud.

if you want to excel..sim tires are the way to go.

if you simply want to drift to say you did it..go with slicks.

(you will notice that the experienced drifters will say sims, however the noobs say slicks...hint hint ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back