Drifting Gear ratio build

• Thread starter NeonAstral
  • 16 comments
NeonAstral
I for now struggle with it but id like to know what you pro drifters prefer as your main transmission setup. Also I assume the accent of power is shifted on 2nd and 3rd gears? Or does it depend on how much HP the car has?

Also in a car above 350HP with no assist I see no other way but to extremely feathering the torque using the right analog stick, or is there other way around it?

Thanks

What are the advantages of for example sport transmission vs full customizable

The sport gears or shorter 5 or 6 speed gears allow less lag for gear changing, compared to full unless you get the ratios nice and small on each gear.

Closeratio is good for low power cars. Higher power car tend to need to have full trans setup to help keep them in the power band and help keep shifting down to a minimum.. I run full custom transmisions in all my drift cars.

I for now struggle with it but id like to know what you pro drifters prefer as your main transmission setup. Also I assume the accent of power is shifted on 2nd and 3rd gears? Or does it depend on how much HP the car has?

Also in a car above 350HP with no assist I see no other way but to extremely feathering the torque using the right analog stick, or is there other way around it?

Thanks

What ive always done is use a lengthened drag set up... try this.

Reset to default
Top speed (selector) to its lowest (112, 149... depends on the car)

Final gear all the way to the right (5.000 to 6.000 again.. depends on car)

Move your top speed selector over one click... then move it back to its lowest setting (you will notice your graph reset) Thats a transmission "flip" as its called in the drag world.... now you have all that final gear to play with.

1st- All the way to the left
2nd- leave it alone. Maybe 5-10 clicks to the right.. but its probably not necessary.
4th, 5th, and 6th- All the way to the right.
Then take 3rd to the right until your graph looks like so --->
LemansGears.jpg

Then move your final gear to the left until you get your gears where you want them and the top speed you desire. (For drifting... I usually go with 205-215 in the top right corner of the graph)

-Note
The number in the upper right hand corner of your graph is roughly 10-15 mph slower than your actual top speed.... keep that in mind.

Hope this helps.

I tried your setup man but it's hard to master bc 2nd h
Gear becomes almost non existent like super suddle making 3rd your main and I find that drifting in 3rd gives a more "wide" drift that's harder to control or is it suppose to be like that

NeonAstral

Thanks

What car are you using by the way? For me, all I play with is the top speed, on a fully customizable transmission. All my cars, mainly being 350z or 370z, have a top speed set to 260kmh, that's roughly 3 notches to the left/lower. You can try doing that, it keeps your gears close but not too close. Doing this will also make 3rd and 4th your main gears, 3rd for tighter hairpins, and 4th for longer drifts.

I'm using "OULLIUM MOTORS Spira 4.6 V8 '04" right I'm playing with 2nd for tight and 3rd for wider drifts. I can't imagine doing 4th gear drifts in Autumn Mini

@Hayabusa...I started tuning cars for drag before I got into drifting, so I tend to set up all my tranny's almost exactly how you explained. I use and abuse the gearbox while drifting though...I'm up and down through that thing like a madman.

@OP, to me, using 2nd and 3rd as your main gears seems a little strange. Most people I know tend to make 3-5 their main gears, and use 2nd only for consecutive slow corners (like the S-bend at Indy Road Course). Note that only applies to 6 speed transmissions...5s and 7s are a little bit different

I use A-Ring Mini Reverse as my test track. In all my cars over 450ish bhp, I'm in 3rd and 4th gear the whole time (on an ideal lap...I'll use 2nd and 5th if I make a mistake).

I use a fully customizable tranny on all my cars. That's probably more out of habit than it actually being necessary, but that's how I dooz it. IMO, a good tranny tune is the difference between a good drift car, and a great drift car.

That said, just the other day, a fellow GTP drifter (and a reputable one at that) was saying that in pretty much any JDM turbo car, the stock tranny's are actually pretty good. The added bonus of running a stock tranny is that you don't get the annoying whine from the gears.

Im useing the stock gearbox in my alfa gulia 1600 its a low power car (almost 200hp) iv tried a fully tuned box but can never get it any good. The stock box is good for me

The thing is when I tune a car to have gears close together like that i.o.w "drag setup" it's still seems a bit weird to use 4th and 5th at times.

For me it's like this: if a car us above 300-350 HP then>
1st gear - only use when almost hitting a wall
2nd - use to enter every corner, great control
3rd - car starts to wanna slide sideways,time it properly, still useful if you know there is wide "S" turn coming up.
4th - car just slides sideways and there is no control of left or right, super easy to spin out
5th- N\A
(if) 6th - N\A

The thing is when I tune a car to have gears close together like that i.o.w "drag setup" it's still seems a bit weird to use 4th and 5th at times.

For me it's like this: if a car us above 300-350 HP then>
1st gear - only use when almost hitting a wall
2nd - use to enter every corner, great control
3rd - car starts to wanna slide sideways,time it properly, still useful if you know there is wide "S" turn coming up.
4th - car just slides sideways and there is no control of left or right, super easy to spin out
5th- N\A
(if) 6th - N\A

Well man... if you want to use 1st and 2nd... move your final gear further to the left... higher top speed on the graph = longer gears. Try that and see if thats a bit more comfortable to you.

Yeah i used the flip transmission deal with my lower powered cars and it keeps them up in RPM's so its easier to **** between 2 gears if you need to.. Its really helpful.

Latest Posts

Back