Drifting has ruined me....

  • Thread starter Thread starter sleepy-z
  • 21 comments
  • 3,614 views
Messages
37
Messages
s30andz32
First time online I did a few races and did decent for a first timer, usually 2-5th, I decided to try a drifting room for fun and got hooked. Went back to a race after a few weeks and I am ruined. Anyone else do this?

Every time I come up to a turn in a race my drifting entry speeds end up haunting me, I think I can spend some time on A-spec mode and get back to my roots but drifting ruined my racing abilities. I do have to admit though, I am not into D1 or drifting my own car, find it more of a way to show off and act stupid in public but its actually pretty fun when your bored with the game.
 
was around at my mates place the other day and spent a lot of time drifting at tsukuba with the hks silvia and then showing them up with some drifting at autumn ring with the lambo lp640 chromeline,
 
you have to do it together in a tandem if you do it solo it becomes boring
 
I can't drift. Have tried, but I'm absolutely useless.
 
Use the racing line if your that bothered by it.
 
I can't drift. Have tried, but I'm absolutely useless.

Same here , I think it will be easier for me to get the all gold trophy than the drifting trophy
 
I started my sim racing "career" with drifting, which now come to think of it helped me a lot. Let me explain:

In order to be good to drift you have to know how to sustain and control the drift as you please. At first you'll screw up a lot and slowly start to learn what you do wrong - what stops the drift. When I eventually started racing I knew

1)How to control the car if the back slides out ie. how to drift.
2)How to stop the drift (from a drifting point of view "improper" throttle control, over correcting, "wrong" gear changes etc.)

Eventually I just learned how to stop the drift even before it looks like a drift, floating in sweet subtle slides around the corners (if done well you don't even get tire squeal let alone tire marks but you do get round fast).

So keep at it!

(Also as Blingy suggested, visualizing the racing line might help a lot if you've got the patience.)
 
although not drifting..

The X2010 ruined me it took me a week to get back to normal. It made the GTR, Enzo all those cars feel so slow
 
me too. I see the other guys drift and I get mad because it looks so fun:grumpy:

If your being serious here is the easiest way I learned, I use a Datsun 240zg, Toyota 2000gt, and a Mazda 110S(Cosmo). Max out there power lose all the weight, if you must enter the turn and thurn the wheel into the turn tap the ebrake and it should kick the back out enough, if you feel your about to send it off the track downshift. Its a matter of feathering the throttle when need be and also turning the wheel to avoid losing the drift. I also use Racing soft tires, it allows for better entry and exit speed for me, I think I am the only one who runs with those tires but it works great for me I can do 80ish mph on the last tsukuba turn in a drift running racing softs.

250-300hp and no weight with rear wheel drive and a little ebrake if necessary works for me.
 
Know what I do at this point? I take my drift car to the lower tiers of a-spec and run circles around the competition, literally. ;)
 
So do I...I take my Blitz Dunlop with Comfort hard tires on A-Spec FR Challenge ( Tsukuba Circuit ) and race...Now I'm winning of course, but month ago could hardly finish 5th. I do only drift moves during da race and sometimes an epic take over of other cars for picture to be taken of!!!
My PSN is Olegonic, drifting a lot in da game. Achivement: Suzuka East sector drift - 24200 points on Blitz Dunlop. Add me for online tandem drift. Only Comfort Hard tires! All assists OFF! Racing line- OFF...HARDCORE DRIFT
 
I can't drift. Have tried, but I'm absolutely useless.

Ditto...

I have pulled off pretty long slides when trying to drive fast in a race and stuff, but thats more like corrective action than really intentionally "drifting". When I try to do it on purpose I always fail pretty quickly...
 
Is it even possible to drift with a DFGT?
There is no setting to adjust the steering tighter and i can't possibly steer this thing fast enough not to spin:indiff:
 
Plenty of people can drift with a DFGT, from what I've seen. There are tonnes of videos scattered around this section even, so I guess it's just lack of practice or a bad car/set up.

If you can't do it at all is it due to 'practice time' or have you not yet found a sensible car (FR drivetrain and nothing too powerful) to begin with?

A Toyota Sprinter Trueno can be drifted stock, as can the Mitsubishi Lancer 1800 GSR that you win from the 'professional series' Turbo challenge. Both great beginners cars.

Slightly harder but easier than many; a Nissan Silvia (S13 model) from the premium car dealer (the older one of the two available) and use one of the 'drift tunes' available on this site.

If you have 'the right car' (there are many) with the 'right set up', one which works for drifting and can be adjusted to better suit your own driving style, then you can rule out the car and set up and then.... It's down to your practiceand it DOES take a fair amount of time, like anything in life, to actually be pretty good at.
 
Is it even possible to drift with a DFGT?
There is no setting to adjust the steering tighter and i can't possibly steer this thing fast enough not to spin:indiff:

hey i'm drifting on G25 so it's possible to drift on 900 wheel. Also it is sooo fun ;)

My tips,

-First try AWD drift with R8 2010' subaru impreza without changining tyres . It's is so easy to drift with those and you will be able to control it well.
-Don't use e-brake. Try to unbalance car before turn.
-After you will learn AWD drift try some RWD cars. it's twice as much harder and try to hold with eiger. It's not track for begginers.
-I think London is right track for learning how to drift. When you hit barier it will only stop you. Going off the track in Eiger, is annoying.
-Also use only comfort tyres. It is possible to do a drift even with R tyres but the more tyres are grippy the more snapier those are to point with R3 where loosing grip = 100% spin out without any hope.
- For starter try only low speed drift so London is way to go.
- Cars for Drift like Blitz D1 are for Pro guys so better car =! better drifting skill/points.
-Good cars for AWD drift - R8 '10 , subaru premiums.
- Good cars to learn RWD,MR drift for begginiers: Ferrari 512 BB, Renualt V6, Honda NSX/Acura,
edit: - oh i forgot ! Force feedback, learn how it work when you drift.

-1st try to do a one drift don't try to string few (it's for pro only for now)
-2nd try to mantain right apex when drifting and right speed.
and then practice practice practice practice.

Also: when drifting you must turn wheel before you want to turn and also you must counter before you feel need to couter. It's hard to learn this but in time you will know when you need to counter to succesfuly maintain drift.
Second phase of this tip is that you also must learn how much turn of wheel you need.
Third phase is maintaining drift with gas pedal. When you want to turn more hit gas pedal when you feel it's too much add only a little gas.


that is only the begging. It's a lot to read but little to do in game. Clutch kicks , e brake are for pro so don't try that until you maintain drift well.

If you are experienced you will learn to do precize drift with high accuaracy.

And that is when i am. I practice a lot but drifting with high precision is just next level :) 👍
 
I've never been a fan of drifting but I did realise once I'd dabbled a bit with swinging out the rear end I found it very hard to give up. I had to drive something front wheel drive to get back into the mind frame of racing. Drifting = wasted time in corners!
Once you can lay down a good drift it does become easier to control a slide when racing because you know what is happening and how to deal with it.
 
I can't race, so i only drift, besides online lobbies are full of X2010s so theres really no test of skill or anything, drifting is just too much fun :)
 
Drifting takes bigest part of my GT5, I tune half of my cars to proper drift other half to proper online Fair racing.. but drift is art.. that is for sure the best I can imagine to do in GT5, anyway, pity in GT you cant yearn money, XP or anything online.. thats spoils alot, even in career mode there was nothing about drift.. but that dosnt make any sence since Japan are Drift Kings and biggest drift lovers .. lol.. hope they will make Online option to dual drift and score points .................
 
Well luckily I have always owned rear wheel drive cars and when I was young and dumb I learned what happens when you apply too much power to the rear wheels and manage to hit a pothole doing so, back end swung wide and I just hit the brakes because I was about to flip my car in a ditch if I tried to catch it with power. When you own a rear wheel drive car drifting kind of makes sense in the way to handle it to me, I just got about the same power cars as I owned and the game does a decent job of translating the physics to get the drift going and continuing it through a turn. Its just a matter of applying logics to the situation, I dont tinker with the setup at all and just went at it, rarely do I miss a turn or go off the track. Cold tires are a pain also, takes a lap to break them in good.

Now I have been apart of car clubs and done plenty of backroads drives when I lived in northern cali, we hit those roads almost as if they were tracks so I am somewhat experienced and years of being a delivery driver when I was young help also. Just dont try it out, think it out on how it works in the way of physics and you can get it down, its not a race its just losing grip but using power and steering to get it back at the end of the turn. Really dont start with massive power cars, I avoid them all together but I do manage to speed drift and hang with them.
 
KAZUNORY, WE NEED DRIFT EVENTS IN CAREER MODE + ONLINE DRIFT + EXP. POINTS AND STATISTICS...PLEASE GIVE IT US WITH UPDATE! Guys, I was really dissappointed when I found a dozen of drift carz in the game but nothing about drift competitions in career...It is same like to give one freedom on a DESERTED ISLAND....I need more people to support this feature so may be finally we will get something
 
I tried my hand at drifting, but it's almost impossible with the controller!
 
Back