drifting in a race

• Thread starter gibson
  • 7 comments
Who here drifts only to maintain speed in a race, such as your in an FD and you need to pass a DB9, so you only use the brakes to start the drift. I do, and it has helped me become a better racer, but not the best racer, i could beat my dad around a road course in MX5's (yes, we went to a racing school for my 16th and i beat him around with him running full out), but he can still beat me at every other aspect.

Who here drifts only to maintain speed in a race, such as your in an FD and you need to pass a DB9, so you only use the brakes to start the drift. I do, and it has helped me become a better racer, but not the best racer, i could beat my dad around a road course in MX5's (yes, we went to a racing school for my 16th and i beat him around with him running full out), but he can still beat me at every other aspect.
Grip is faster. The End.

If you are drifting to maintain speed, you could not drift and go even faster.

What you can do in real life has almost nothing to do with the game BTW.

I drifted in a race once Really cool.:dopey:

When I was in Tsukuba Circuit at the Silvia Sisters race I over took 1st at the last lap, at the last corner, by drifting. I passed two other racers from the outside.

And its all thanks to my perfectly tuned, 365hp

S14:tup:

Mines in a o.k. tuned FD, I'm still tuning the LSD, brake controller, and suspension. I have tried grip driving and i just cant get the hang of it, my FD is tuned for grip, and I just keep using the 'flick and braking drifts by 2nd nature. I guess I just listen to to many racers ar Beaverun on race weekends, but, according to them, a 4 wheel drift is faster than grip.

I understand both. I just can't grip, I've tried. It's like I spin out every turn unless I counter steer, even in a bone stock FR or 4WD. I've check my times on special stage 5, and if I grip, 1:46.396, and if I drift, 1:39.173. I've tried every thing, super grippy tires, setting my car up to understeer, even braking before the turn, and slowly proceeding. drifting is just faster. And not the showboat drifting like Nick Hogan did, I'm talking using a small drift to keep my speed up in the corners. Just big enough that I can keep up a gear higher than you would grip driving, but just small enough to make you faster.

If you can apply Grip lines with a drifting tech, there is a small chance that you can shorten your time.

Back