Drifting in real life is so easy

• Thread starter shbly12
  • 14 comments
Israel
Nazareth
Luxeux
Greeting everybody,
So I had the opportunity to go to a place with an off-road track and a karting track.
Before I continue I just wanna mention that I'm complete crap when it comes to drifting with my G27, no matter the game, it just isn't going to work with me, and I've tried... alot.
So I took a UTV and went to the offroad track, so in the beginning I tried to test its power and behavior, after the first lap I started trying drifting, and to my surprise, I nailed it the first time I tried it, I was so surprised. I even linked two drifts together.
And then on I went to the karting track, it was an outdoor track, and while going around the track, it rained. I was surprised at how slippery slick tires get on a wet surface.
So... trying to make the best of my circumstances, I tried drifting. and voila, I was pulling 2-3-4 second drifts without a hassle, it was so natural. sure I would spin off here and there because it's just the ground felt like it was smeared with butter. but when it worked... boy it was a joy!!
So shortly after I arrived home, I plugged my G27 and tried doing some drifts, and guess what, I couldn't manage one!
I immediately realized how lacking in feeling it is, just sitting on that stationary chair with no feeling of direction. and I officially quit trying to drift in games :P

So that was my story, just felt like sharing it, hope you enjoyed reading.
Peace.

Greeting everybody,
So I had the opportunity to go to a place with an off-road track and a karting track.
Before I continue I just wanna mention that I'm complete crap when it comes to drifting with my G27, no matter the game, it just isn't going to work with me, and I've tried... alot.
So I took a UTV and went to the offroad track, so in the beginning I tried to test its power and behavior, after the first lap I started trying drifting, and to my surprise, I nailed it the first time I tried it, I was so surprised. I even linked two drifts together.
And then on I went to the karting track, it was an outdoor track, and while going around the track, it rained. I was surprised at how slippery slick tires get on a wet surface.
So... trying to make the best of my circumstances, I tried drifting. and voila, I was pulling 2-3-4 second drifts without a hassle, it was so natural. sure I would spin off here and there because it's just the ground felt like it was smeared with butter. but when it worked... boy it was a joy!!
So shortly after I arrived home, I plugged my G27 and tried doing some drifts, and guess what, I couldn't manage one!
I immediately realized how lacking in feeling it is, just sitting on that stationary chair with no feeling of direction. and I officially quit trying to drift in games :P

So that was my story, just felt like sharing it, hope you enjoyed reading.
Peace.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's become a pet peeve of mine when people tell tales of being able to pull off 2, 3, 4 second parking lot skids, and then jump out the window and make bold claims like "drifting is easy". This applies to both real and virtual drifting.

That's the equivelent of driving around a race track at pace car speeds, and then proclaiming racing is easy.

Aside from that, I agree with your point that when drifting in real life, it is much easier to feel what the car is doing...because you can actually feel it.

Drifting in a game where you are not physically connected to the car actually requires a slightly higher understanding of what is going on, due to the inability to "feel" what is going on. The same applies to grip racing (it is much easier to feel, react, and catch a loss of traction in real life than it is in a game).

If you are willing to stick it out though, you're eyes (and ears) become much more adept a predicting what will happen, therefore giving you slightly more time to react before it's too late.

So I'm guessing tl;dr

>guy goes out on UTVs/go karts
>can drift for roughly 3 seconds
>can't drift on GT6 with G27
>states drifting irl is easier then virtual drifting

Long lazy parking lot (low speed, 40-ish mph) and off-road road drifts are definitely much easier than drifting in the game, because you can feel when things are about to happen. In the game, you have to anticipate, and guess what the tires are doing from what you see and hear from your TV. Which is a bit like trying to balance a bicycle by remote control!

But if we're talking actual, high speed circuit drifting... that's a whole different banana. Pulling off the odd powerslide or trail-braked drift is not too difficult if you're used to driving a one-and-a-half ton steel death-cage around the track. But actual glorious D1-style drifts are another matter. That window of balance is much smaller, subjectively, when you're going at higher speeds on higher-grip surfaces and tires, in a much heavier car (a go-kart has almost no mass. most modern rear drivers are big, heavy and swing like a hammer when the rear end snaps around) than when you're just puttering around. It runs counter to ever fiber in a racer's being to not countersteer enough to kill a slide... and to not ease off the throttle (don't jump off it... that'll just get you into a nasty spin) to bring the rear end in check.

So, yes and no... it's both easier and not easier... easier in terms of being able to feel things happening and being able to feel out your front tires with the wheel... (and you get easier throttle modulation, too... unless you have an e-throttle... which sucks almost as badly as a Logitech pedal)... but not easier in terms of having to keep your concentration while the car is trying to throw you out both side windows, while your stomach decides which orifice it wants to leap out of.

I enjoy drifting.

But my stomach hasn't made up its mind, yet. :D

Long lazy parking lot (low speed, 40-ish mph) and off-road road drifts are definitely much easier than drifting in the game, because you can feel when things are about to happen. In the game, you have to anticipate, and guess what the tires are doing from what you see and hear from your TV. Which is a bit like trying to balance a bicycle by remote control!

But if we're talking actual, high speed circuit drifting... that's a whole different banana. Pulling off the odd powerslide or trail-braked drift is not too difficult if you're used to driving a one-and-a-half ton steel death-cage around the track. But actual glorious D1-style drifts are another matter. That window of balance is much smaller, subjectively, when you're going at higher speeds on higher-grip surfaces and tires, in a much heavier car (a go-kart has almost no mass. most modern rear drivers are big, heavy and swing like a hammer when the rear end snaps around) than when you're just puttering around. It runs counter to ever fiber in a racer's being to not countersteer enough to kill a slide... and to not ease off the throttle (don't jump off it... that'll just get you into a nasty spin) to bring the rear end in check.

So, yes and no... it's both easier and not easier... easier in terms of being able to feel things happening and being able to feel out your front tires with the wheel... (and you get easier throttle modulation, too... unless you have an e-throttle... which sucks almost as badly as a Logitech pedal)... but not easier in terms of having to keep your concentration while the car is trying to throw you out both side windows, while your stomach decides which orifice it wants to leap out of.

I enjoy drifting.

But my stomach hasn't made up its mind, yet. :D
Haha I love this, well put 👍

Easy guys, @OP isn't claiming he's Ken Block, just that its easier to kick the tail out and hold the car in a controlled drift in real life than in the game. I agree. I am absolutely horrible in the game drifting with my G27, I attest that to the horrible feedback of GT6 compared to other sims and lack of G sitting in your living room. In real life I can kick the tail out in my Trans Am and go around a curve sideways with relatively little difficulty. As @niky stated that is due to the fact that you can 'feel' the car and when it starts to go.

For someone who has proper experience drifting in real life, I'm just going to say GT6 drifting is ridiculously easier than real life.

Also why is this thread still open....

GT so hard to drift on wheel because the game is so flawed. I took a break from gt and went to assetto corsa, after an hour on that game I was 10x better than iv been in my 4 years on gt. I come bk to gt after about 4 month and I cant even hold a drift lol. Its so flawed I cant even bring my self to learn it again. My advice just use your ds3 and try get a pc for your wheel drifting. Once you try a game like assetto you'll see exactly why I say gt is flawed.

I've been trying to drift on GT6 with my G27 for 7 months, almost every day for 6 months and about every other day for 1 month and still can't drift. I drift in real life in the mountains around where I live and with friends as well, tandeming up and down the hills like a movie or something and I can drift great on my DS3 on GT6 but still can only rarely get a good drift with my G27. It's alot easier in real life because as stated here a few times, it's easier to feel everything in real life. Really frustrated with G27 drifting...

I've been trying to drift on GT6 with my G27 for 7 months, almost every day for 6 months and about every other day for 1 month and still can't drift. I drift in real life in the mountains around where I live and with friends as well, tandeming up and down the hills like a movie or something and I can drift great on my DS3 on GT6 but still can only rarely get a good drift with my G27. It's alot easier in real life because as stated here a few times, it's easier to feel everything in real life. Really frustrated with G27 drifting...
Its not just the feel though. GTs ffb and physics are rubbish. Try a game like assetto corsa, so much better feels alot more natural.

Latest Posts

Back