Drifting Line Clarification

• Thread starter xsyorra
  • 36 comments
Grip vs. Drift?

I'll break it down right here cause I'm sick of hearing about this.
If you were to drift an entire lap for speed, grip would win everytime. The chances of drift being faster are so rare that I don't even think it matters. Drift is usually quicker on loose surfaces.

Now if you were to drift only a few select turns, your laps may very well be faster than grips. It all depends on the driver and turn selection.

I know that AKina can drift faster like me gripping, but i dont know if its my skill that sucks or he's setting is just to good. I can make a two player battle using Grip Vs Drift. But i do know that Gripping is fast on some turns depends on the track. Thats just my opinion. I really wanna see some drift versus grip videos.

I'll make a video on this. Stock Supra on Tokyo. Arcade, Hard. Simulation tires. Be back because I'm about to get caught on this forum.

I'm disobedient :D

Drift Vs. Grip........hands down, grip is faster. I just came into this drifting world not too long ago. As fun as drifting is, it has done nothing but sharpen my grip skills.
If you take a grip racer who's never drifted in his life, and pit him up against a drifter in a grip race........we already know the drifter is going to win. Why? The drifter is used to pushing the car beyond its limits and knows EXACTLY how far to push his car.

I find that drifting is something fun and challenging, but I would NEVER drift against a grip racer........that would be suicide.:lol:

Thanx for all the great answers on this thread!! I've learned alot, and still have alot more to learn.

Originally posted by Thio
I'll make a video on this. Stock Supra on Tokyo. Arcade, Hard. Simulation tires. Be back because I'm about to get caught on this forum.

I'm disobedient :D

But something IS left out there. Your idea is good, but its still not an experienced grip driver with a tuned car. They may be tuned, but not as much as they should be. Also, if we're talking clean races, drift would win. if its 'clean', (no bumps, hitting walls, etc) and the drifter is experienced enough to not hit anything, and then drifter was in front, it would be hard to pass. It all depends on aceleration. If the drift driver gets out infront and drifts, the grip driver is going to have a problem passing the drifter without bump;ing him. If the grip driver gets out in front, the drift driver will more than likely not pass him. This may be a bit sketchy, but I'm at school and So I can't go into detail as much as I would have liked to.

Originally posted by XzifT
But something IS left out there. Your idea is good, but its still not an experienced grip driver with a tuned car. They may be tuned, but not as much as they should be. Also, if we're talking clean races, drift would win. if its 'clean', (no bumps, hitting walls, etc) and the drifter is experienced enough to not hit anything, and then drifter was in front, it would be hard to pass. It all depends on aceleration. If the drift driver gets out infront and drifts, the grip driver is going to have a problem passing the drifter without bump;ing him. If the grip driver gets out in front, the drift driver will more than likely not pass him. This may be a bit sketchy, but I'm at school and So I can't go into detail as much as I would have liked to.

Okay, I see your point. But the thing is that the AI drivers in GT3 are brutal when they race. From experience, the AI drivers always try to bump into the driver (you). That's from my experience, and so if you can drift under those conditions, then no matter how the car is tuned, the AI drivers always want to *bump*.

And with the drift versus grip, that depends on the situation, I know that on one turn on Tokyo R246, grip is much faster than drift and the car bumped my rear. I'll be back later to expand. Now I have to go play football.

Okay, now I'm back.

On Tokyo R246, Turn 5 is where grip is faster than drift. I tried to minimize the countersteer in order to go fast, but the Mustang behind me rear ended me and I ended up spinning out. I'll try to replicate that later, but it has been proven.

Originally posted by XzifT
I agree to a certain to degree, although this depends very much on the track. If you are on a track like Seattle Circuit, or SSR11 then it would be very hard for the grip driver to pass, due to the tightness of the course. However, if you are on a track like Apricot Hill, or even Midfield, the turns are wider and thusly would take a really strong angle for the drifter to not be passed. ;)

Back