Drifting

• Thread starter Gogga
  • 6 comments
South Africa
South Africa
Drifting in GT5 was a pleasure. To me it was the most enjoyable aspect of the game. However in GT6, its almost impossible to hold a drift without crashing into a wall. Is it possible to fix the Gt6 drift model and make it as it was previously in GT5. The scoring point system in GT6 is also not up to standard.

Sorry man, if you could drift in GT5, but can't in GT6, the problem is you, not the game.

Yes, drifting in GT6 did take some getting used to, and required a slightly different approach to tuning...but that said, once you get a feel for it, the drifting in 6 is much much better than in 5. For lack of a better way to put it, it just feels more "real". And that goes for wheel and DS3.

Pretty much all the regulars from the drift forums have adapted, and are killing it now.

Sounds to me like you just need to put more practice in. Drifting in Gran Turismo shouldn't be easy...this isn't NFS. Ask anyone who is considered "good", and they'll tell you it took anywhere from several months, to over a year (depending on play time mostly) to become proficient at drifting. The GTP drift community is populated by some of the best virtual drifters in the world, and even they will tell you, they are always learning and improving.

What is killing the GT drift community is everything but the actual drifting itself:

-poorly modelled clutch for the wheel
-customizable transmissions that don't work with the H-pattern shifter
-no clutch button for controller
-no drift related tuning options (knuckle kits for more steering lock, caster adjustment, tire pressure and tire dimension adjustments, etc etc)
-no "free roam" mode on all tracks (ie no barriers, wrong way indicator, etc)
-no way to place cones, tough-blocks, or k-rails on the track in order to designate clipping points on a custom drift section (you know, like that thing PD sponsors...what's it called...oh ya, the Japanese D1 Grand Prix!!).
-limited engine tuning
-no motor swaps
-no drivetrain conversions
-minimal visual customization
-lastly, no livery editor.

These are the things which are causing people to flee the GT drift scene like the plague. So many from GTP have already moved on to LFS, rF, or AC...and many more are patiently waiting for the fall when the next-gen racers start to roll off the shelves.

Sorry man, if you could drift in GT5, but can't in GT6, the problem is you, not the game.

Yes, drifting in GT6 did take some getting used to, and required a slightly different approach to tuning...but that said, once you get a feel for it, the drifting in 6 is much much better than in 5. For lack of a better way to put it, it just feels more "real". And that goes for wheel and DS3.

Pretty much all the regulars from the drift forums have adapted, and are killing it now.

Sounds to me like you just need to put more practice in. Drifting in Gran Turismo shouldn't be easy...this isn't NFS. Ask anyone who is considered "good", and they'll tell you it took anywhere from several months, to over a year (depending on play time mostly) to become proficient at drifting. The GTP drift community is populated by some of the best virtual drifters in the world, and even they will tell you, they are always learning and improving.

What is killing the GT drift community is everything but the actual drifting itself:

-poorly modelled clutch for the wheel
-customizable transmissions that don't work with the H-pattern shifter
-no clutch button for controller
-no drift related tuning options (knuckle kits for more steering lock, caster adjustment, tire pressure and tire dimension adjustments, etc etc)
-no "free roam" mode on all tracks (ie no barriers, wrong way indicator, etc)
-no way to place cones, tough-blocks, or k-rails on the track in order to designate clipping points on a custom drift section (you know, like that thing PD sponsors...what's it called...oh ya, the Japanese D1 Grand Prix!!).
-limited engine tuning
-no motor swaps
-no drivetrain conversions
-minimal visual customization
-lastly, no livery editor.

These are the things which are causing people to flee the GT drift scene like the plague. So many from GTP have already moved on to LFS, rF, or AC...and many more are patiently waiting for the fall when the next-gen racers start to roll off the shelves.

Well said, I think this ^ would be a great addition to your thread.

I had a hard time drifting in GT6 when i first started, GT5 too, but just keep at it and you'll eventually get it.

And bear in mind that even the best drifters in the world can't hold drifts at certain angles, on certain parts of corners at certain speeds and yadda yadda. Physics plays a bit part.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Appreciate it. Finding it really difficult to come to grips with drifting in Gt6. In Gt5 I can clock about 30 000 points around Tsukuba. In Gt6 I can't even manage half of that. Maybe I should just practice more. It just does not feel right in Gt6. I got frustrated with it and left the drifting for Gt5. Really sad that the servers for GT5 are closing down in a few days time so that brings an end to the epic online drift sessions. Hopefully I can master it in GT6.

Back