Drive inside the pit bug

• Thread starter Vas0sky
  • 9 comments
Italy
Italy
Hi everyone. I've just signed up because today something crazy happened. I was driving my new escudo in the Super Speedway endurance, using a setup for the wheelie. I've noticed that the auto pilot in the pits goes at 40km/h until it completely stops for the tire change, then goes back to normal (80km/h limit until the first line, then wallride until the end of the lane because the car can't really turn). So I tried myself to completely stop the car before the pit lane, but the tire kept spinning even with car completely still, and when I released the brakes the car started moving forward without using the accelerator. At that point, I entered the pits, and I was at the end of the turn when another car entered the pits and crashed into me, making me go on the grass on the right side of the pits. I wasn't really looking at the game, when I realised I was able to control the car. I got a picture and a video of me driving into the pits (couldn't get the moment of the accident, I wasn't expecting something like that to happen). As you can see from the picture there is no 'Auto Drive' text and I'm going over 180km/h right in the middle of the pit lane. I've tried to replicate this, but it's hard to get the timing right, in multiplayer should be easier. The video will be on youtube tomorrow. I couldn't find any information about this kind of bug neither here or on youtube.

Attachments

• IMG_20170725_001744.jpg
    IMG_20170725_001744.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 42
It's due to a something i'll call a glitch in the Escudo's wheels programming. In the PAL version of the game, at least (NTSC has slightly different physics).

The Escudo when going at high speeds will start to experience perma-wheelspin, which is actually what enables it to be so fast when doing the wheelie glitch.

The perma-spin can be traced back to Gran Turismo 1, where the Mitsubishi 3000GT / GTO models would have a very similar "glitch" where you would get to incredible speeds by spinning your tires against a wall for a few minutes.

The same thing happens with the Escudo, and because the wheels gain speed, they reduce the car's ability to brake, and they spin even when you're completely stop. And if you release the brakes, then the car starts going forward by itself.

The only way to correct this glitch is to hack an other car's wheels (or tires, more specifically) onto it.

Because of spinning tires I was doing 40km/h autodrive in the pitlane, a car went at like 200km/h and smashed me into the grass. I'll try to recreate it in multiplayer (I got 2 controllers) and record it.
Meanwhile I got the video I was talking about.

Ah yes. I think I get it. You had control over your car in the pits, and since the auto-drive was disabled, you didn't get your tire change as well.

I've had that happen to me too. Basically, when you enter the pitlane, you hit a trigger (in case you don't know, a trigger is an area of varying size (determined by the developer) where entering it, being in it, or exiting it can activate something. In this case, the auto pilot and the programming behind the pit stop)
However, on Superspeedway, the trigger is at the beginning of the pitlane and is very short, like a gate and only is active when on the road. PD probably programmed the AI to follow the road or something, and the grass area is probably thought by the game as being part of the track, and not the pits. Therefore, with how the pit stop is programmed, when going back on the track, it's automatically disabled until you hit the entry trigger again.
Thus, you are allowed to drive into the pitlane however you want, but you won't get your tires changed.

This is also doable on GT4 on High Speed Ring, in the simplest manner possible, by entering the pits through the side, instead of the pitlane. By skipping the trigger, you can just drive around it.

I have an example of this in one of my GT4 hybrids videos:

Last edited:
Back