Drive only gear? (no gear 1,2,3,4 etc., just D)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 29 comments
  • 2,296 views

Blackbird.

Premium
Messages
9,347
United States
Bay Area
Messages
BlackbirdGTP
Messages
Blackbird5150
I was racing in the Japanese Compact Cup and I viewed a replay of one race and I put it on display mode and looked at the Honda Fit and turned it to the view where you see the gauges. When I looked at the gear it just read "D" and it got all the way to 6500rpm and then just kept going faster but not changing gears. What is this all about?
 
I was racing in the Japanese Compact Cup and I viewed a replay of one race and I put it on display mode and looked at the Honda Fit and turned it to the view where you see the gauges. When I looked at the gear it just read "D" and it got all the way to 6500rpm and then just kept going faster but not changing gears. What is this all about?


it is probably cvt transmission, they used to fit them to cars years ago

click here to read up on it
 
Yeah, the Fit has a CVT. It makes the car strange to drive. The Prius has a CVT too, but it's effect gets lost in all the other special effects that car has. Surprisingly the Nissan Cube has "CVT" in the name but drives like a normal five speed.

Haven't found any CVTs more in GT4 yet, but there should be some somewhere because CVTs are becoming more common...
 
That Triathlon car from Toyota has it too.

I know Williams had it on they`re F1 car,back in 1993,but the rules banned it.That`s why it`s not that known.
BMW is testing it with the Mini and other models of cars.Might be not that long before the first cars with CVT come out.
 
any other CVT or CVT like cars in the game?
 
dont nissan muranos (the suv, theyre not in gt4) have a cvt? i test drove one of those before i bought my x5 and it had a cvt in it. i think theyre really cool. when i drove it, it seemed like it was at the perfect rpm and everything all the time.
 
hitman146
what is ctv a car with only one gear

CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission. It works with chains and pulleys to constantly and smoothly change gearing ratios while keeping the engine in its optimal powerband. The feeling is very much like that of driving a boat, with the rpm steady while the speed increases.
 
I think that the Honda Fit has one. The insight has one in real life, not sura about the game though.
 
mitsubishi-i-03.jpg
that bug eyed looking thing is CVT
 
I don't know if the game shows it, but the automatic version of the Honda Jazz is CVT.
 
Well I thought it was weird because the only automatic in the game I knew of was just the gears shifting for you not A drive gear like you would an automatic in real life. Weird transmission though.
 
avenger
I don't know if the game shows it, but the automatic version of the Honda Jazz is CVT.

and if you've ever driven one, you can shift it yourself, and it's got 7 gears to choose from, and it picks them just as quick as anyone can in a manual, not a normal auto at all. pity the rest of the car is a piece of crap
 
The Skyline 350GT-8 has a CVT too.
 
The359
The Skyline 350GT-8 has a CVT too.

This is the Skyline with 8-speed transmission right? Now, my question is, is this particular car included in the game? Because I know some people we're talking about it not so long ago. I'm just curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
 
The CVT transmition will probably be the way for every single car in the near future. Just as long as they maintain 6-speed transmition as an option I'll be ok. My mom got one of those Honda Fit ... and I have to say it's surprisingly good.






.
 
CVT rocks, no more having to screw with O/D while towing trailers, no more downshifts to pass traffic, all the problems most people have with auto's will vanish.

Tony
 
just hope the pulleys are strong enough to pull a trailer :)

by the way, try the toyota prius on a rally course...youd be suprised how well it does since you always have ample power
 
jessekatianda
This is the Skyline with 8-speed transmission right? Now, my question is, is this particular car included in the game? Because I know some people we're talking about it not so long ago. I'm just curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yes. It is available new at the Nissan dealership.
 
Schue7683
CVT rocks, no more having to screw with O/D while towing trailers, no more downshifts to pass traffic, all the problems most people have with auto's will vanish.

Tony


No more turbo lag! :drool:
 
just watch out for those turns where it wont tell you what gear you need to be in since CVTs...really dont have gears :scared:
 
XVII
just watch out for those turns where it wont tell you what gear you need to be in since CVTs...really dont have gears :scared:

That is so true. I drive a Honda Fit in real life, and I though it would be a lot of fun to buy one in the game and give it a go around "the ring".... hmmm all I saw was a flashing D :)

In real life, the CVT on my car is really impressive. It's so different to any of the other automatic transmissions I've ever driven before. So smooth on the accel... still, I wish my wife would learn how to drive manual... 👎
 
Anybody notice the Cube in Mission 21 actually has CVT in the name, but it has 4 gears?
 
That was ponited out already. I got one just to play with and I like the design, It does have 4 normal feeling gears.
 
Back