Driveclub Dynamic Weather Discussion

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 56 comments
@MeanElf

Don't get me wrong, DC is still a good game which I said that from the beginning and they're starting to add the features originally promised and fix the bugs. Its a great first effort other than the online issues for them. Who knows what the future holds for this franchise if they choose to make a sequel later.

I just think a lot of people are going to be pretty impressed with Project CARS when they finally get to see it.

@MeanElf

Don't get me wrong, DC is still a good game which I said that from the beginning and they're starting to add the features originally promised and fix the bugs. Its a great first effort other than the online issues for them. Who knows what the future holds for this franchise if they choose to make a sequel later.

I just think a lot of people are going to be pretty impressed with Project CARS when they finally get to see it.
I can play pCARS on ultra settings right now if I want to. ;)

I can play pCARS on ultra settings right now if I want to. ;)

So can I and I still prefer it to DC graphically. I simply said, a lot of people are going to have their minds blown by Project CARS when they finally see it.

So can I and I still prefer it to DC graphically. I simply said, a lot of people are going to have their minds blown by Project CARS when they finally see it.
You can do whatever you want, as long as you don't state anything as a fact, that's factually wrong (which you didn't, so all is good). The lack of physics in the raindrops in pCARS ruins the whole effect to me, the droplets on the outside cameras also look kinda off and fakey. I also don't think pCARS will blow minds, simply because there's so much footage out already.

You can do whatever you want, as long as you don't state anything as a fact, that's factually wrong (which you didn't, so all is good). The lack of physics in the raindrops in pCARS ruins the whole effect to me, the droplets on the outside cameras also look kinda off and fakey. I also don't think pCARS will blow minds, simply because there's so much footage out already.

Ok.

Both these games are pushing these systems very hard, but in different directions. Evolution settled for a low framerate and a low number of cars on screen to achieve maximum graphical detail, as well as environmental effects like weather & day/night cycles. It works for Driveclub primarily because the game was never meant to be realistic at all, aside from how it looks. SMS on the other hand is trying to simulate every aspect of real racing, which means 30-40 car grids and a faster framerate to achieve the least amount of discrepancy between the player's inputs and what happens on the screen. To me it's all about setting your priorities straight for the kind of racing game you're making, and I'm very happy both exist. We need games that are all about putting the player in awe like Driveclub, and we need games like CARS to close the virtual divide and push sim genre forward. For that reason I can forgive Project CARS' less accurate weather effects, given everything else SMS is trying to accomplish.

Both these games are pushing these systems very hard, but in different directions. Evolution settled for a low framerate and a low number of cars on screen to achieve maximum graphical detail, as well as environmental effects like weather & day/night cycles. It works for Driveclub primarily because the game was never meant to be realistic at all, aside from how it looks. SMS on the other hand is trying to simulate every aspect of real racing, which means 30-40 car grids and a faster framerate to achieve the least amount of discrepancy between the player's inputs and what happens on the screen. To me it's all about setting your priorities straight for the kind of racing game you're making, and I'm very happy both exist. We need games that are all about putting the player in awe like Driveclub, and we need games like CARS to close the virtual divide and push sim genre forward. For that reason I can forgive Project CARS' less accurate weather effects, given everything else SMS is trying to accomplish.

Very, very well said. It's a wonderful world we live in when multiple great options for different reasons exist.

Looks amazing. Also, McLaren F1 being added to the game? Allow me to fall into a fit of excessive drooling and happiness. :bowdown:

Hopefully getting this at christmas. If not, then I should finally be able to afford it in january.

I agree, but I was simply talking about the weather effects, nothing more.
Why, if and how doesn't really matter.

mwiuqy.gif

To be honest, more spray would ruin the gameplay, the visibility is extreme enough already. :lol:
Best weather effects I have ever seen in realtime in a videogame, Evolution Studios should get a tech award.
The water effects on the windshield are just incredible, never expected it to be so.damn.good.

They go on automatically.
well i must have the ghetto version cause my wipers dont work:grumpy:

I traded in Driveclub because I was really disappointed at the lack of weather and the servers were horribly broken.

After going through this thread though, I can see I made a *horrible* decision.

Definitely picking up Driveclub again along with the Season pass because this is probably the highest quality graphics I've seen period.

I traded in Driveclub because I was really disappointed at the lack of weather and the servers were horribly broken.

Definitely picking up Driveclub again along with the Season pass because this is probably the highest quality graphics I've seen period.

Why did you trade it in? Evolution already promised they would fix the servers and add these features.

Nothing horrible about your decision at all.

The weather effects remind me of the next-gen version of the effects from GT-5. The rain on the windshield isn't merely a texture, but the droplets actually have physics. It looks absolutely stunning on DC. If only I had a PS4...

The weather effects remind me of the next-gen version of the effects from GT-5. The rain on the windshield isn't merely a texture, but the droplets actually have physics. It looks absolutely stunning on DC. If only I had a PS4...
Yeah, it's great when you brake hard (especially in the Spano) and see all that water just sluice forwards. True what you say about the similarities to GT - it certainly has that feel, but better. I really don't know what to expect from PD with GT7 on this generation, other than it'll be very likely insane.

Back