Driver rating help please

• Thread starter Vipernut
  • 10 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
Can someone please point me in the right direction on explaining driver rating. I was on Bathurst at night, started 16/18 (only 1 lap practice on RH and hit the wall so poor qualifying). My race had about 4 incidents of SR down, (1 my fault but all just bump n grind stuff, no off track/wall hits) and I managed to finish 8th, was really happy with that!

Here's where I'm confused:

SR went down 1 (fair enough) but my DR went down 100, not much but still, down? I went up 8 places. I'm a B/B rated driver, everyone else similar (in total 5 were C/D/E DR but all about B SR).

Why did the DR go down when I went up 8 places?

Thanks for looking

It depends on your DR and that of the other drivers. Finish position is all that counts, where you start is irrelevant.

DR is a point exchange system, you take points from drivers you finish in front of and give points to those that finish ahead.
Base starts at 80 points per driver, so finishing 8 of 18 you lose 7x80 and gain 10x80.

However the difference between your DR and the driver you give/gain points from matters.
The difference between yours and their DR varies the amount by 80 points, the actual amount you gain/lose is 1 to 160 points per driver.

For every 500 DR points difference you get an extra point if the DR of the driver you beat is higher than yours.
For every 500 DR points difference you lose an extra point if the DR of the driver you finish behind is lower than yours.

SR doesn't matter, you said DR of other players varied from E to C.

DR.A+ runs from 50k to 75k
DR.A runs from 30k to 50k
DR.B runs from 10k to 30k
DR.C runs from 4k to 10k
DR.D runs from 0k to 4k
DR.E means you have not yet completed 5 races, they don't count. You don't get actual DR points until completing your fifth race.

If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish behind a DR.C driver with 5K, you lose 80 + (15,000 / 500) = 110 points to that driver
If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish in front of a DR.C driver with 5K, you gain 80 - (15,000 / 500) = 50 points from that driver

If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish behind a DR.A driver with 40K, you lose 80 - (20,000 / 500) = 40 points to that driver
If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish in front of a DR.A driver with 40K, you gain 80 + (20,000 / 500) = 120 points from that driver

It depends on the other people in the room how high you need to finish to gain DR. If you are the only DR.B in a DR.C to DR.D room, you probably have to finish top 5 or top 3 to gain points. A lower rated driver finishing ahead of you takes away a lot of points, while you gain little from beating them.

Your next question is likely where do you find out your DR :)
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search

It depends on your DR and that of the other drivers. Finish position is all that counts, where you start is irrelevant.

DR is a point exchange system, you take points from drivers you finish in front of and give points to those that finish ahead.
Base starts at 80 points per driver, so finishing 8 of 18 you lose 7x80 and gain 10x80.

However the difference between your DR and the driver you give/gain points from matters.
The difference between yours and their DR varies the amount by 80 points, the actual amount you gain/lose is 1 to 160 points per driver.

For every 500 DR points difference you get an extra point if the DR of the driver you beat is higher than yours.
For every 500 DR points difference you lose an extra point if the DR of the driver you finish behind is lower than yours.

SR doesn't matter, you said DR of other players varied from E to C.

DR.A+ runs from 50k to 75k
DR.A runs from 30k to 50k
DR.B runs from 10k to 30k
DR.C runs from 4k to 10k
DR.D runs from 0k to 4k
DR.E means you have not yet completed 5 races, they don't count. You don't get actual DR points until completing your fifth race.

If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish behind a DR.C driver with 5K, you lose 80 + (15,000 / 500) = 110 points to that driver
If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish in front of a DR.C driver with 5K, you gain 80 - (15,000 / 500) = 50 points from that driver

If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish behind a DR.A driver with 40K, you lose 80 - (20,000 / 500) = 40 points to that driver
If your DR is DR.B at 20K and you finish in front of a DR.A driver with 40K, you gain 80 + (20,000 / 500) = 120 points from that driver

It depends on the other people in the room how high you need to finish to gain DR. If you are the only DR.B in a DR.C to DR.D room, you probably have to finish top 5 or top 3 to gain points. A lower rated driver finishing ahead of you takes away a lot of points, while you gain little from beating them.

Your next question is likely where do you find out your DR :)
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search

Thank you so much, that is very helpful. Didn't realize there was so much behind it. Thought that improving 8 spots was awesome but guess it's no different than if I started in pole and finished 8th.

Raising positions doesn't inherently matter. If it did, nobody would qualify because starting at the back would be a huge advantage.

Assuming everyone qualifies roughly in order of skill level, positions raised is just a decent guideline for gaining DR. It's entirely possible to raise a bunch of positions and lose DR, just as it's possible to qualify in pole, finish in 10th and gain DR. It's all about your finishing position relative to other drivers.

Any truth to the idea that the bib number is your DR ranking in the race? So i qualify P7 but wear bib 03 so have the 3rd highest DR?

In theory, but the system gets tripped up (IIRC by rooms with mixed DR rating letters) so it is not always accurate, which stops it being a useful rule of thumb.

Any truth to the idea that the bib number is your DR ranking in the race? So i qualify P7 but wear bib 03 so have the 3rd highest DR?

As long as there are no DR.E to DR.C drivers in the race then yes, door number represents your ranking in the room.
The problem is that door number is ranked alphabetically. DR 9,000 comes before DR 75,000 :banghead:

So any DR.C drivers or lower will screw up the ranking. When I was in DR.D last week I kept getting door number one (was in the 9,000 range) while matched with A+/S to D/S.

Beating your door number even when ranked correctly still doesn't guarantee gaining DR though. You can have door number 12, finish 9th and still lose DR. It all depends on the average DR in the room where you have to finish to gain points.

For example the OP lost 100 DR in a room of 18 finishing 8th. Disregarding the DR.E drivers he should have gained 240 DR instead of losing 100 DR if everyone had the exact same DR. A discrepancy of 340 DR, which corresponds to 170K DR difference (adjustments from 340*500) spread over 17 drivers, so his DR was about 10K higher than the average in the room.

Word to the wise, spend time qualifying. Spend A LOT of time qualifying.

Your ratings with ascend quickly if you do that.
Probably the number one thing I’m doing wrong then.

Well, number two thing. First thing might be that I just suck at driving. I would post a pic of my Boss 302 as proof if I knew how.

Probably the number one thing I’m doing wrong then.

Well, number two thing. First thing might be that I just suck at driving. I would post a pic of my Boss 302 as proof if I knew how.

Your "first thing" problem is cured by your "second thing". By taking the time to qualify, you learn the track and how the cars work. You will become much better, much sooner, than if you just race. The further up the field you start, the greater the chances of finishing well, and the better your DR will become. It makes sense. Can you imagine any competitive athlete competing without practicing? As I've stated in other threads, I will spend far more time qualifying than I do racing.

Posting: Go to the web version of your profile, find the picture you want to share, open that picture in a new tab, copy the link and past it in the box providing when you click on the little picture icon on the post dialogue (it's next to the emoji icon).

Back