Driving aids help

• Thread starter Zenjungian
  • 15 comments
England
England
My ratings are D/S and I’m regularly in races where I’m 10secs per lap off the pace where car settings are fixed. I’m wondering how others are getting those secs? Is it that I need to learn to drive with all aids off ? Or which should I leave set to low settings? Is it that I need to learn to use manual shift ?

I would really appreciate some help here. Maybe some of the quicker drivers could share what driving options they use or don’t use.

Thanks

I am personally faster with limited aids, with only low traction control and low ABS. Are you using a controller or a wheel? With a controller I like to bump up the traction control a little because it's harder to properly counter-steer. Also, I haven't found MT vs AT to make too much of a difference. But your mileage may vary. Sometimes it just comes down to getting to know the car/track better.

For kicks, earlier today I attempted the Nurburgring using the Brake and Steering assist. With it on, I turned a lap time of 7:15. With just traction at 2 and light ABS, I did the same lap in 6:56.

No assists, learn to drive slow. Seriously, I’m not trolling here. Drive slow and learn to get a little faster each time. Within 5 or 6 laps, you’ll get the pace. Also, look up “mental flow”, this is a state of mind where you are so focused that nothing else is in your mind, and yet, your are not really thinking about what your are doing. Many people have experienced this in “highway hypnosis”. It occurs ve driven the same piece of road so many times that you do it on auto pilot. Ever notice this doesn’t happen to anyone when it’s their first time driving a piece of roadway?

Many successful professionals use this technique, including racing drivers.

Drive a course enough laps, you will instinctively tap into this ability.

Hi Zenjungian, To try and answer simply.. I would say 'Practice makes perfect'

I suggest before taking to a race that you run the event qualifiers for a good hour plus to try and find your optimal lines, keep pushing trying to beat your best lap until you cant! then you can race as you have found the best speed you have for now ;)

Running Manual gears is always going to be faster than Automatic due to the fact that you can precisely use the needed gear instead of letting the game decide for you.. It makes up heaps of time alone per lap! Assists are a good option to let the people who aren't so seasoned get a feel of the thrill of racing online without spinning out all the time and are not something to be ashamed of using, as you get faster you will find more confidence to turn the assists off 👍

You could also watch some of the top laptimes if they are available on the leaderboards in game to see where those drivers make time and the lines they use.. I know there's also bundles of replays available on youtube for numerous GTSport combo's from Wheel users and DPAD drivers also that make great reference for people to learn from.. A bit like riding a bike with stabilizers! when you get the just of it the stabs will come off :D

Do whatever set up adjustment and use any assists that makes you feel consistent and confident when driving on track... that is the key to racing and enjoying it.

Good luck mate! :cheers:

Assists come in handy when you get tapped or shunted. Stops you and the aggressor spinning off. Which is pretty sad I guess.

Assists don’t make people 10 secs slower and setting them differently won’t suddenly make up that time.

Assists might make a few 10ths of difference and depending on Car and track you might trade consistency in race for those few 10ths.

Anyway, DR D and 10 secs off pole is just a skill/practice problem. Spend time in qualifying and watch some YouTube and that might help.

I am personally faster with limited aids, with only low traction control and low ABS. Are you using a controller or a wheel? With a controller I like to bump up the traction control a little because it's harder to properly counter-steer. Also, I haven't found MT vs AT to make too much of a difference. But your mileage may vary. Sometimes it just comes down to getting to know the car/track better.

For kicks, earlier today I attempted the Nurburgring using the Brake and Steering assist. With it on, I turned a lap time of 7:15. With just traction at 2 and light ABS, I did the same lap in 6:56.

Thanks for that info. I’m currently using a controller with ABS and steering assist on the lightest setting. ACS 2 usually.

Hi Zenjungian, To try and answer simply.. I would say 'Practice makes perfect'

I suggest before taking to a race that you run the event qualifiers for a good hour plus to try and find your optimal lines, keep pushing trying to beat your best lap until you cant! then you can race as you have found the best speed you have for now ;)

Running Manual gears is always going to be faster than Automatic due to the fact that you can precisely use the needed gear instead of letting the game decide for you.. It makes up heaps of time alone per lap! Assists are a good option to let the people who aren't so seasoned get a feel of the thrill of racing online without spinning out all the time and are not something to be ashamed of using, as you get faster you will find more confidence to turn the assists off 👍

You could also watch some of the top laptimes if they are available on the leaderboards in game to see where those drivers make time and the lines they use.. I know there's also bundles of replays available on youtube for numerous GTSport combo's from Wheel users and DPAD drivers also that make great reference for people to learn from.. A bit like riding a bike with stabilizers! when you get the just of it the stabs will come off :D

Do whatever set up adjustment and use any assists that makes you feel consistent and confident when driving on track... that is the key to racing and enjoying it.

Good luck mate! :cheers:

Thanks. I’ll give that a try - doing extensive practice and qualifying. I generally just do a few qual laps then learn then try and improve my times while racing.

Assists don’t make people 10 secs slower and setting them differently won’t suddenly make up that time.

Assists might make a few 10ths of difference and depending on Car and track you might trade consistency in race for those few 10ths.

Anyway, DR D and 10 secs off pole is just a skill/practice problem. Spend time in qualifying and watch some YouTube and that might help.

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know. If it’s just practice and improving skills that’s fair enough. I just wondered if there were some assists which were known to really slow the cars down.

I'm not a Fast man but i'm getting older playing car games/simulators and from my experience the first tip is use MT, don't worry if at first you get confused thats normal, with some practice you will be changing gears without even think in them. And the second tip is break early, the most common mistake while trying to get faster laps is a late braking

You always reach a point where you feel that you cannot got faster, yet the leadboard tells you that you still have a long way to go. Many times you underestimate the importance of basic racing techniques - such as slow in, fast out. If you really push it in the optimal line and keep the car as steady as possible then there's lots of time to be gained. You don't always feel it during the lap, but you can clearly witness it when the time pops up.

You always reach a point where you feel that you cannot got faster, yet the leadboard tells you that you still have a long way to go. Many times you underestimate the importance of basic racing techniques - such as slow in, fast out. If you really push it in the optimal line and keep the car as steady as possible then there's lots of time to be gained. You don't always feel it during the lap, but you can clearly witness it when the time pops up.
Yes you’ve probably got a point there. You are right, I improve my speed to a point where I think I can’t improve it - but see drivers with faster times and wondered why. I’m learning that I need to put in more work!

Also, save the replays of the races you make and watch it back to back to see the lines and throttle / braking input of the winners. That alone can help you get faster.

But it all boils down to practice really.

My ratings are D/S and I’m regularly in races where I’m 10secs per lap off the pace where car settings are fixed. I’m wondering how others are getting those secs? Is it that I need to learn to drive with all aids off ? Or which should I leave set to low settings? Is it that I need to learn to use manual shift ?

I would really appreciate some help here. Maybe some of the quicker drivers could share what driving options they use or don’t use.

Thanks
To be blunt, if you are 10 seconds off the pace it's not driving aids or tune it's your ability that's lacking. I'd post a video of a couple of your better laps, preferably from rear view and preferably running alone, and let others who are faster take a look at it and give you some pointers. There are a lot of fast drivers here and many are more than willing to help.

As others have said, assists are not going make several seconds per lap difference.
One little piece of advice I would offer though, is try adjusting the brake balance on your car
if you are having difficulty with oversteer or understeer. Especially in the races where you can't adjust the setup
for the car. For example, many 4WD and FWD cars tend to understeer in corners. Try adjusting the brake bias to
the rear in these cars, or any cars that you find are understeering, and it will usually help you be able to turn in to
the corner more easily. Conversely, if you have a car that is too twitchy or spinning out too easily while cornering,
try adjusting the brake bias to the front of the car to help a little bit with stability. This might gain you at least a few
tenths per lap depending on the car/track combo, but more importantly, it'll make the car handle better for you
and give you more confidence to push hard in the race.

To be blunt, if you are 10 seconds off the pace it's not driving aids or tune it's your ability that's lacking. I'd post a video of a couple of your better laps, preferably from rear view and preferably running alone, and let others who are faster take a look at it and give you some pointers. There are a lot of fast drivers here and many are more than willing to help.

Yeah, that is pretty blunt lol :-) but fair enough. That’s why I posted, to find out if I was missing a trick or just needed to practice. These replies have been helpful and I’ve concentrated on getting lap times down. It’s not as bad as all that - I’m competitive with other DR D drivers. Ive also changed car, I was using the Citroen Gr 4 car but ive switched to the Mclaren. I switched on the racing line aid and it shows a couple of places at Nürburgring where I can improve my line. Thanks for your help.

Back