Driving/Racing lessons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tias
  • 18 comments
  • 1,532 views
Messages
5
Messages
PRNSTR78
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any sites or youtube videos that actually teach you to race better?

I'm at expert level in the game and I can beat it, but I generally use a car that has 50 more HP than the fastest one in it to make it, I'd love to be able to use a car that has less HP and still win it.

I remember a game on the Amiga or maybe the PS1 (not sure) It came with a little booklet that had topviews of the tracks in it with racing lines on top to show how to take the corner, and it also had a great explanation next to it as to why you should take it like that.

Now I always race with racing line on and just blindingly follow it, but if I could do races with commentary explaining why I should take a corner a certain way, then that would teach me more than just a line on the road.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
 
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any sites or youtube videos that actually teach you to race better?

I'm at expert level in the game and I can beat it, but I generally use a car that has 50 more HP than the fastest one in it to make it, I'd love to be able to use a car that has less HP and still win it.

I remember a game on the Amiga or maybe the PS1 (not sure) It came with a little booklet that had topviews of the tracks in it with racing lines on top to show how to take the corner, and it also had a great explanation next to it as to why you should take it like that.

Now I always race with racing line on and just blindingly follow it, but if I could do races with commentary explaining why I should take a corner a certain way, then that would teach me more than just a line on the road.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

The book that came with GT5 talks about some "helpful" areas of driving - I think it's called 'Apex' .... The full version of that book is a good read.
 
If I recall GT4 had a three or four page mini-guide in the back of the manual from Motor Trend. It was sorta helpful, although I already had plenty of GT3 experience at that point that carried over. BUT to answer your question I do not know of any YouTube videos or websites to help. I suppose a google search for "racing technique" would yield useful results. I would try and look but I'm on my iPod right now which makes it rather difficult.

But, at least from what I understand, the most basic rule is you take it low in the corners. The shortest distance between two points is a line, and following the outside of a turn doesn't do much for that. In addition, as you accelerate out of a turn, centrifugal force will pull your car away from the apex towards the outside, which is where you need to be to take the next corner effectively. If you're already on on the outside of a corner, all you are going to do is fly off into the grass or sand or a wall. Now, driving in the rain is a whole different ballgame. The AMG Driving Academy explains why, but in short, over time the ideal (and therefore most traveled) line becomes worn down and smoothed over, thus when it get's wet, there's nowhere for the water to go, encouraging hydroplaning.

On the other hand, you could shell out a few thousand and go to Bondurant or Skip Barber schools and pick up a lot of useful info from their classes I'm sure.
 
Last edited:
GT3 Had a Skip Barber Racing School section in it... Also, if you wanted, I could coach you on some of the tracks.. just PM me if your interested
 
The GT3 Manual, obviously, not the game.

Also whats helpful is doing the licenses, And then once you do that, try for all gold's on those.
 
When I first started motorcycle racing, I read a book called "twist of the wrist". Now, it's about motorcycle racing, but the theory behind racing lines, braking, sight markers, and throttle control all apply. I'm sure there's a similar book somewhere about car racing. GT5 is realistic enough that real-world knowledge and skill transfers to the game.
 
Thanks for all the great replies!

@hawkeye122, thanks heaps for the offer, but I'm afraid that might be a full time job then :)

Wouldn't it be great if GT5 had a lesson or commentary built in for every track, to help out beginner racers(?)

I did finish all the licenses, but yes, first one was all gold, second one all silver and it kept going down after that. But again, I found the lack of advice quite frustrating. Things like "you really need to make use of the Ferrari's power" isn't really helpful.

I might indeed do it the old school way and look for a book...

Thanks again!
 
Drivingfast.net
 
I take lessons from my Bobs who are all at lvl 30 and up.

I've been noting their lines, braking points and gears they use to crank out their laps.

They may not race as aggressively as we do, but you can still learn something.

Bonus, I'm earning Cr. And free cars while I'll learn. And would you believe right now my toilet bowl is cleaning itself! (old TV ad)

The "Apex" book that came with the special or signature editions does give a lot of info as well. Sure you could find one on eBay. In addition to explaining driving techniques, it lists all the cars and their specs.

Your milage may vary,
Kaffeine
 
im hoping to do vidoes of some tracks on what lines you should use on them and why at some point in the future but my pvr doesnt arrive for a month so if you still need help by then ill happily make one
 
Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a good book about race driving.

About learning the tracks i would recommend "walking" them through at first. Set yourself a speed limit like 60 km/h and go round the track looking for the line. Do this couple of times and then slowly start to build up speed. If you can get a mentor for yourself then go for it! Unfortunately i'm not very good and don't have the time. :p

I think the racing line aid slows your learning more than it speeds it so i would turn that off. You need to look ahead and not on the ground.
 
Last edited:
I have the full original GT5 guide which i will happily email you if you like :)has lots of tips and heaps of info on all tracks, there turns and angles of the corners, suggested speeds and all that jazz, send me a Pm and i will send you a copy, its about 250pages long from memory :)
 
Another tip for learning a track...watch the replays from the time trial leaders. Then try to follow their ghosts.

My god, where the hell do they find all that speed?!
 
@Ronald6 - Thanks, that is awesome. Looks like it is just what I was after. Haven't had a good look through but it looks very promising!

@KaffeineKeiser – My Bob is only level 5, so not learning much from him and I can't help but find it very boring watching the PS3 I bought to play games watch playing the game I bought to play. :)

@LTKapal – That would be great, I would find that very interesting and I can imagine more people around here. Let me know if you are still keen when your pvr is up and running.

@Sohvakettu – Thanks for the recommendation of the book, I will look it up! And you are so right about the driving line, I turned it off and although I go off track quite a bit more I'm actually learning the tracks better looking ahead for POI's to see when to brake, thus learning the track instead of indeed just looking at a blue and red line. :)

@AiDsTaR – That would be awesome, I'll PM you now.

@Mangobob – Never thought of that, didn't even know I could, where can I find that? Or do you mean, do a time trial and then watch the replay afterwards, or is there a database somewhere (like in Black Ops)?

Thanks again for all the tips you guys, this is awesome!
 
Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a good book about race driving.

About learning the tracks i would recommend "walking" them through at first. Set yourself a speed limit like 60 km/h and go round the track looking for the line. Do this couple of times and then slowly start to build up speed. If you can get a mentor for yourself then go for it! Unfortunately i'm not very good and don't have the time. :p

I think the racing line aid slows your learning more than it speeds it so i would turn that off. You need to look ahead and not on the ground.

Was going to post something similar to this.
I recently got Speed Secrets to help with my autocross times. Good little book.

I'd suggest learning tracks with the racing line to a (very) rough idea of where the braking zones are, but pay attention to other braking points like signs, trees, curbing, etc. The racing line is usually the safest line, not the fastest. Once you have an idea of where the corners are turn off the line.

edit: For the TT replays, you can go to the leaderboard and there is an option to download the replays/ghosts.
 
Now this is a quality post 👍


Try driving with the line "off". It has been helping me. I am currently going back thru the licenses, basically bronzed them the first time thru, now i am actually practicing them...watch the demo on each one, and turn all assists off. Seems to be helping me..
 
freedomweasel
Was going to post something similar to this.
I recently got Speed Secrets to help with my autocross times. Good little book.

I'd suggest learning tracks with the racing line to a (very) rough idea of where the braking zones are, but pay attention to other braking points like signs, trees, curbing, etc. The racing line is usually the safest line, not the fastest. Once you have an idea of where the corners are turn off the line.

edit: For the TT replays, you can go to the leaderboard and there is an option to download the replays/ghosts.

This is very true about the racing.
There are four different types of lines in racing: the driving line, the defensive line, the wet line, and the qualifying line.
To make it more difficult, all three are always changing. So you should try different lines in a methodical manner.

In real racing, I usually go out, walk the track, do a session in the kart, nice and slow. Walk the track again, and then go out and drive, changing my line each lap, but not my braising points.
Once I have my line figured out, I will take each turn, and push the braising point back farther and farther, just a little bit each lap until I find the limit.

I can only speak for real life karting though. Not real cars since I'm only 14. :)

I'm too lazy to do this for each track in a video game, so I usually just keep the driving line on, 90% of the time, that line is wrong (or at least according to me) I'd get lost without it. :)
 
@Mangobob – Never thought of that, didn't even know I could, where can I find that? Or do you mean, do a time trial and then watch the replay afterwards, or is there a database somewhere (like in Black Ops)?

Thanks again for all the tips you guys, this is awesome!

Hi tias, I can't check right now but I think if you look at the leaderboard for the time trial there's an option to load a leaders lap as your ghost, you might be able to watch the replay from there...or if not, youtube will surely hold the answer!
 
Back