Driving Rank seems pointless

United States
United States
Why do we have driving rank anyways, it doesnt seem like it is even used, even though it should be.

I achieved S-Rank Sportsmanship, and I am now racing against the racers who post the fastest times in the world, even though Im only a B-Rank for driving rating. The moment I reached S-Rank, I stopped being able to get pole positions, fastest laps, and had no chance of winning races.
Using only Sportsmanship to match people together makes having S-Rank clean driving pointless when you can never even feel like you will have a chance to achieve something in a race. It should be a reward to reach S-Rank, but, it isn't currently.

I recently got to the point where I purposely had a dirty race just to lose my S-Rank because I dont want to always be losing and never be able to win.

For those with the "Then get good" argument, you dont realize how frustrating it is to always be destined to lose, because every single match has at least 1 or 2, sometimes more, of the fastest racers on the leaderboards, and all because Im a clean driver.

We need ranking by Sportsmanship and Driving Ranks, because just by Sportsmanship leaves the upper end of the game broken for anyone who isnt the fastest in the world skill level.

(Ive golded all licenses, tracks, and all but 2 challenges. I'm far from a slow driver)

I get what you're saying. I'm C/S right now. It's pretty good at peak hours but gets harder the lower the population gets, which I suppose is understandable.

Oddly enough I don't mind ending up mid-pack most of the time though, see it as an opportunity to learn from the faster guys following their lines and so on.

I get what you're saying. I'm C/S right now. It's pretty good at peak hours but gets harder the lower the population gets, which I suppose is understandable.

Oddly enough I don't mind ending up mid-pack most of the time though, see it as an opportunity to learn from the faster guys following their lines and so on.

When you end up in championship with 7 out of the top 10 leaderboard in your room, what is the point of a competitive season?

When you end up in championship with 7 out of the top 10 leaderboard in your room, what is the point of a competitive season?

I totally get what you're saying. I just don't think it's realistic in the long-term to think there will be enough people online to race for us all to get competetive races. Then again I have low expectations. I'm usually happy so long as it's not a crash-fest. :lol:

Last edited:
What irks me is that the best way of improving your sportsmanship rating is effectively to not be near anyone who is crash happy, which means starting in front and staying there. Essentially making your sportsmanship rating a measure of your driver rating.

Or starting in LAST and staying there. Most of us will have to do that. i did.

Keep calm, keep calm. I am in the same boat right now. But the game is just out for 2 1/2 weeks. It takes time until the DRs are representative. And sure it matches also using the DR. Mostly i race B/S drivers which matches my rank. Its hard right now, but it will get better over time. Try a different mindset and enjoy competitive racing

It's early days.

I'm level B at the moment, and typically find only 2 or 3 players a race within 1s of my qualifying time (faster or slower). Occasionally, I get A's in a race, but they aren't necessarily faster than me, and even if they are, I can hold on to them using the draft. I also see people on the same level as me with qualifying times >4s slower.

In time, the faster drivers will move up and everyone will find their level. Whether it works after that really depends on numbers playing.

@Music_Artist Who do you think should be racing against faster drivers? No one? Should they be racing alone because other people don't like to be in the same lobby? I'm afraid I have to use the get good argument. Because if you're one of those who only wants to win, you better stick to Arcade or public lobbies. If everyone wanted to win and be the best in Sport mode, they all would want to face slower drivers...what's the point in that, besides being impossible?

What's more competitive than that? I'd be glad to be 10th against the faster 9 on the planet. If you're up against them, probably you're not the slowest guy out there. :)

@Music_Artist Who do you think should be racing against faster drivers? No one? Should they be racing alone because other people don't like to be in the same lobby? I'm afraid I have to use the get good argument. Because if you're one of those who only wants to win, you better stick to Arcade or public lobbies. If everyone wanted to win and be the best in Sport mode, they all would want to face slower drivers...what's the point in that, besides being impossible?

What's more competitive than that? I'd be glad to be 10th against the faster 9 on the planet. If you're up against them, probably you're not the slowest guy out there. :)

I wasnt 10 though, I was almost in last place of 20th. My times are fast, but, I cant match speed of the fastest.
It isnt about winning either honestly, it is about getting a good race where I feel like I can accomplish something. The problem is that these faster drivers take off and I often dont see them ever again. The championship race was stupid because I started, and then I never saw more than the car that placed behind me and the car that placed in front of me, and both were so far away that it didnt matter they were there.

I just need to find a good, tight endurance league for Gr.4, like I did in GT5 and GT6. Because,in general, I'm not really happy with how Sport mode is run either, since I think tuning a setup is part of racing.

Also, who should be racing these faster racers? Well, racers of the same driving rank probably. Not lower driving ranks that have no chance of competing.

It's not about winning. Winning should be very difficult to achieve in esports, just like it is in real motorsports.

It's like iracing. I had a great time winning a lot of early races when I was rookie and D license. Once I got to C it was much tougher. Yeah, winning was nice, but being immersed in a more challenging field made me a better driver.

Don't aim to win, make becoming a more complete driver your goal. You'll have great clean races with that S SR. Just keep going at it. The win will come eventually. It may not happen this month, or even this year, but it will.

It's not about winning. Winning should be very difficult to achieve in esports, just like it is in real motorsports.

It's like iracing. I had a great time winning a lot of early races when I was rookie and D license. Once I got to C it was much tougher. Yeah, winning was nice, but being immersed in a more challenging field made me a better driver.

Don't aim to win, make becoming a more complete driver your goal. You'll have great clean races with that S SR. Just keep going at it. The win will come eventually. It may not happen this month, or even this year, but it will.
The system doesn't encourage that mindset from what I can see. The boards are filled with recommendations to bag your races to up your SR to get in with better drivers so you can have better races. Anecdotal evidence suggests that, if you do that, and you don't already have good pace, you're going to find yourself very often mixed in with drivers that outmatch you in terms of overall pace and, barring catastrophe, you don't have much chance to win. We both know that someone who is a second off the pace really has no chance of winning in this or any other sim. Given that mixing it up mid-field in the lower ranks isn't really a viable long term option, this doesn't give much hope to slower drivers who drive clean, to ever win a race or even compete near the front.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You have to be ok with not winning. Like when a driver reaches F1. Think Hulkenberg is like, well I may as well quit since I know I won't win.

Well yeh BUT.,..Hulkenberg gets to drive an amazing car around great tracks, travel the world, make a ton of money, met interesting people etc etc. This is a GAME that millions (sales figures anyone?) have paid for who probably would not if the cover slogan was "It's NOT about the winning"...

Hi, i found some strange behaviors of the matchmaking algorithm today.
First two pictures is how my races looked like normaly during the last two weeks. The last one was from today.
I don´t know if it´s some kind of bug or my races on the FIA Championchips today had some of effect on something like a short term rating.
I got several bad marks for bump drafting on Blue Moon in the race before. The next race on Suzuka was the one on the last picture. :confused:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171101174223 Kopie.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171105191432 Kopie.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171105222226 Kopie.jpg

@Sloppy Shades It's about trying to win, taking your results forward and learning from them. It's not about winning in the sense that's that is all there is.

It's not called GT Win, it's Sport. It's not the real winning simulator, it's driving. If you can't have fun with just driving and having close racing no matter what position you're in, you're gonna have a tough time with this game. If you want to win, you need to put in the effort. If you make it more about the challenge than the win, things become a lot better.

@Sloppy Shades It's about trying to win, taking your results forward and learning from them. It's not about winning in the sense that's that is all there is.

It's not called GT Win, it's Sport. It's not the real winning simulator, it's driving. If you can't have fun with just driving and having close racing no matter what position you're in, you're gonna have a tough time with this game. If you want to win, you need to put in the effort. If you make it more about the challenge than the win, things become a lot better.

Preaching to the choir mate! That's what I believe too. I'm talking about the target market here not the top fast/decent racer parade who want to better themselves.
I want GT to succeed, but it will take the admiration of the 'masses' for that to work. Game needs sections/menus catered for different crowds:

ELITE RACER (need SR S DR B to get in for example)
RACE TO THE TOP (Basically what the dailies are now)
DEMOLITION DERBY (free for all-anything goes)
SUNDAY DRIVER (cruising with friends)

When creating a lobby you could also select one of the above to filter the racers better.

Why do we have driving rank anyways, it doesnt seem like it is even used, even though it should be.

I achieved S-Rank Sportsmanship, and I am now racing against the racers who post the fastest times in the world, even though Im only a B-Rank for driving rating. The moment I reached S-Rank, I stopped being able to get pole positions, fastest laps, and had no chance of winning races.
Using only Sportsmanship to match people together makes having S-Rank clean driving pointless when you can never even feel like you will have a chance to achieve something in a race. It should be a reward to reach S-Rank, but, it isn't currently.

I recently got to the point where I purposely had a dirty race just to lose my S-Rank because I dont want to always be losing and never be able to win.

For those with the "Then get good" argument, you dont realize how frustrating it is to always be destined to lose, because every single match has at least 1 or 2, sometimes more, of the fastest racers on the leaderboards, and all because Im a clean driver.

We need ranking by Sportsmanship and Driving Ranks, because just by Sportsmanship leaves the upper end of the game broken for anyone who isnt the fastest in the world skill level.

(Ive golded all licenses, tracks, and all but 2 challenges. I'm far from a slow driver)
To quote Homer Simpson "it doesn't matter how good you are, theres always about a million people better" lol'.

SR is a joke, So many times at start of races in the first corners, people bunch up in front and are that way for some time, people behind me have time to see that and still they race off bump you into the ditch placing you in last. And these are from "S" rated drivers.

I hope they figure out the rating.

The matchmaking system definitely needs work in this regard, its great how it matches people with close SR but to match people with DR all the way from D to A and with a 20 second gap in qualifying times from first to last place just doesn't make for an exciting race when nobody changes position, its just a big conga line time trial.
The strange thing I remember with the group 3 race last week on Nurburgring is that my qualifying times kept getting better and near the top 10 times yet I was constantly grouped in the back of the pack with all the fastest drivers around, I finally got a qualifying time almost a second faster than my best and all of a sudden as if I crossed a matchmaking threshold it started grouping me with drivers not as fast as me and I won races or came second quite easily, one win was by an 11 second lead over 2nd place and that was with a wipeout.
Its great that a good qualifying time is rewarded but I should've been grouped with drivers of equal ability in all cases, obviously from my previous races where I was grouped with the superfast aliens all the time there's plenty of competition to choose from. The game should push you but at the same time be exciting and give some hope of a decent finish at least sometimes, its more like 5% of the time so far. My driver rating has gone from a B to a D recently because I've been grouped with the freaks of this game yet I'm constantly finishing ahead of drivers with higher DR than me. Even some of the superfast freaks are a DR of D yet with their times and finishing places they should be B or A according to how PD describes the DR system working, something is amiss.

Back