Driving tests

  • Thread starter Thread starter SgtWhitten
  • 15 comments
  • 2,031 views
Messages
241
Messages
SgtWhitten
I thought I'd start a little discussion about the Driving Tests. So far I have worked my way through national A and B licenses and I'm having a blast!

I really Struggled on National A test in Monza but I managed to scrape through and get Gold. I also really struggled on the cone slalom with the mini, I had to sit back and really think about it before I managed to get gold. I find each test makes me analyse the corner and the car handling to get maximum performance around the track.

I find the test progression really good to ease you into the feel and handling of the game. I'm going to complete all the tests before I get into the racing so that I can tackle the special events on professional.

Is there a particular test that is getting in your way?

Do you enjoy the license tests?
 
I liked the tests, as per usual, up until the S-license - overtake 15 cars in one lap :dopey: The fact that you get DQ'd when the car you're overtaking rams you because there's no AI and they're just following the line had me shouting at the screen once or twice but it's just a matter of finding out where you are allowed to ram them (yes it's that patchy) and going for it. I settled for mostly silvers, a few bronzes and golds. Can't see me putting in the effort to get all gold for a few months yet and, when I do I have no idea how I'm expected to overtake 15 cars in one lap of the Top Gear Test Track :grumpy:
 
OMG...! the 12 VW Samba Van race at Top Gear!

Insanity! Hilarity! Frustration!:crazy:
 
OMG...! the 12 VW Samba Van race at Top Gear!

Insanity! Hilarity! Frustration!:crazy:

Just wait till you do the Lotus Top Gear test! It's even more fun. :sick:
 
Well I got my reality check when I couldn't quickly gold the very first lesson...nor the majority of the lessons on B (or whichever is the lowest). That's all I had time to do. I am not as good as I expected...much work to be done.
 
Started with all gold on B, then had a mix of gold and silver in C and now a mix of gold, silver and bronze in I-C.

I'm an OK driver. So, far, at my level of driving, bronze in general is fun and easy. Silver is fun and hard at times, but within the grasp that you are motivated to practice and reach it. Gold is mostly frustrating and only occasionally fun. Not much motivation as it feels out of reach.

Sam
 
I-C 10 has been my favourite test so far, that Fezza is a wobbly old car!
 
I-C 10 has been my favourite test so far, that Fezza is a wobbly old car!

I powered on through the IC license tests and managed to get 9 golds. IC-10 is tough but great fun it took me about 1 hour to tame that challenge.

IC-1 is just a joke my times slowly went from 27.717 then 27.715, 27.704, 27.703 but finally I passed hitting the target time exactly.

Now I only have IC-3 glaring at me with a ghastly silver which will be replaced tonight.
 
Are there any benefits to having gold on everything? It seems I can get bronze or silver super easily but Gold seems to be a challenge at this point. Is there any benefit other than getting some more XP for it?
 
I found the test increasingly difficult, so far i have all:

National B Gold
Nation A Gold
International C Gold
International B Gold
International A Gold

I havent had time to attempt S yet, but i found the 2 lap race on IC lesson 10 hard, must of spent like 3hours on it :L !

My psn is Tyrant675
 
Are there any benefits to having gold on everything? It seems I can get bronze or silver super easily but Gold seems to be a challenge at this point. Is there any benefit other than getting some more XP for it?

I think you also get a better car as a prize for an all gold license..and also, your skills will be better after that struggling for sure.
At least I started to read more about lines using early/late apex, trail braking etc. These I've never heard before :)
 
I agree, gold seems impossible.. I'm not a bad driver when racing, very rarely drop below 1st place.. and have gold on every single rave event in gt mode, but I cant seem to get more than silver on the license tests. Very frustrating, I'm sure ill get gold before too long.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually made a quite an improvement yesterday when I tried to forget about the blue "ideal line", and also realized that the "example driving" is usually around bronze or silver level and not gold. So I decided to forget about how they do it, and started to experiment with different braking/acceleration levels, and curves. So far I have 8/10 golds from NationalB (I could not pass the B5 and B6 with gold so far, for me these are the most difficult ones).
So if all of your tests are silver, than I suppose you have to be a bit more aggressive/brave.
 
Last edited:
I don't really care about getting gold. Just passing is enough for me. :) The races are also much easier to win than getting gold in a license test..
 
All gold in licenses now except for S, I'll tackle that after work tomorrow.


I tried to forget about the blue "ideal line".

I highly recommend turning off the racing line. You need it off to finely tune your braking spot and line through the corner, it often tells you to brake when you don't need too.
 
I-C 10 has been my favourite test so far, that Fezza is a wobbly old car!

This is where I'm currently stuck. I've got gold on the first 29 tests(took several tries on some), but can't yet pull a silver on this one. Anybody got suggestions/hints?
 
Back