DS3 controller vs. wheel force feedback.

  • Thread starter Thread starter TextRich
  • 8 comments
  • 1,097 views

TextRich

Premium
Messages
184
United States
Austin
Messages
BFBullpup
Hi everyone. I use a Logitech Driving Force Wireless (similar to the Driving Force GX). I have noticed that my wheel gives me force feedback when I drive over a kerb but I get nothing when I drive into a wall or hit another car. I tested the Dual Shock 3 (DS3) controller and I find that I do get feedback when I run over a kerb AND hit something.

I've had the game for 2 years now, and the wheel as well, but I play it on and off in periods and now I can't remember if the wheel is supposed to vibrate if I hit something. Does others' wheels give feedback if you hit something? I'm not sure if my wheel somehow had a feedback feature broken or if it is because it is a budget wheel and I would get feedback from a more upscale wheel. Can anyone help? Thanks!
 
My Logitech G27 gives feedback whenever I hit a kerb, car or wall, as well as when driving on rough roads or terrain. A higher quality wheel should give you more feedback for different situations.

I'm not sure, but is the wheel you're using an old model? If so, that's probably the reason.
 
My Logitech G27 gives feedback whenever I hit a kerb, car or wall, as well as when driving on rough roads or terrain. A higher quality wheel should give you more feedback for different situations.

I'm not sure, but is the wheel you're using an old model? If so, that's probably the reason.

Yes, my current wheel was released in 2008. I have tried it on F1 Championship Edition from 2006 - great road feedback but zero crash feedback. Crash feedback is also not in the F1 2012 demo.

I assume newer high-end wheels have separate motors, one for the road and one for crashes. I know that PS1 wheels with force feedback have only one motor for everything. Thank you for your reply.
 
I think having two motors have started to become the standard over the past few years. However, they vary in size and output. The Thrustmaster for an example is powered by a single 65W motor.

The Fanatec Elite is a different beast though. Having two motors to power the Force feedback (Not sure if they're 60W or 120W each), and having another 2 small motors to power the wheel vibration.

And the good 'ol Logitech G27 is powered by a dual motor. Not sure how much output it has, though I can tell you from experience that it delivers solid FFB. That said, after having used it for a year, I'm looking for a new wheel (probably going to pick the Thrustmaster T500). The reason for this is that the G27 isn't as smooth as the Fanatec or Thrustmaster counterpart. The feedback also feels a bit "meh" at times.

If you enjoy racing games, I definitely recommend getting a higher end wheel and proper wheel stand.
 
Last edited:
If you enjoy racing games, I definitely(correct spelling) recommend getting a wheel and proper wheel stand.

He has a wheel, and it's wireless so doesn't need a wheel stand.
 
He has a wheel, and it's wireless so doesn't need a wheel stand.

Thanks for the correction. What I meant to say is that if he enjoys racing games, I'd recommend a high-end wheel alongside a proper wheel stand.
 
Thanks for the correction. What I meant to say is that if he enjoys racing games, I'd recommend a high-end wheel alongside a proper wheel stand.

Yes so would I recommend a high-end wheel (i.e. expensive), but some people can't afford them.
 
It's possible you have it set on the wrong wheel in GT? Try it on a different setting, I used to have the wireless wheel & it had feedback on everything.
 
hol
It's possible you have it set on the wrong wheel in GT? Try it on a different setting, I used to have the wireless wheel & it had feedback on everything.

The only feedback settings I could find in the GT5 Options menu are Vibration On/Off for the DS3 controller and Force Feedback 1-10 for the multiple wheels option (which I believe is not compatible with my old wheel anyway).

By the way, I think the wheel itself is physically OK because I get feedback when I crash in GT4 on the PS2.

Thanks for the additional comments Jawe and iain. I may shop for a G27 - it seems most suited to my driving style.
 
Back