DS4 motion/tilt control settingsPS4 

• Thread starter Miths
  • 4 comments
Bulgaria
Bulgaria
Mike9Million
Maybe I didn't search properly, but surprisingly I had a hard time finding much discussion of the newly added tilt controls.
I tried them briefly in DriveClub but stubbornly decided to stick with old habits (definitely going to motions controls another try there as well next time I play it), but after some testing today in Project Cars and a brief adjustment period I find that motion controls are just so smoooooth that I suspect I'll be using them permanently.

Only downside so far is that I have to turn FFB down to 0 as it seemed to be bugged with motion controls, vibrating near constantly.

Below are my current settings in case anyone may find them of use, several of them are quite a bit different from what I used with thumb stick steering.
I can also mention that I have mapped left/right steering to tilt left/right (I guess that one was obvious) and throttle to right stick forward and brake to left stick forward. Gear up to R2 and down to L2.

Steering deadzone = 0
Steering sensitivity = 50 (if you set this at 0 you will have to make much larger hand movements to turn, which might suit some people better than the smaller wrist movements I prefer)
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 50
Control filtering sensitivity = 40
Force feedback = 0 (bugged at higher settings, at least for me)
Advanced settings off

Maybe I didn't search properly, but surprisingly I had a hard time finding much discussion of the newly added tilt controls.
I tried them briefly in DriveClub but stubbornly decided to stick with old habits (definitely going to motions controls another try there as well next time I play it), but after some testing today in Project Cars and a brief adjustment period I find that motion controls are just so smoooooth that I suspect I'll be using them permanently.

Only downside so far is that I have to turn FFB down to 0 as it seemed to be bugged with motion controls, vibrating near constantly.

Below are my current settings in case anyone may find them of use, several of them are quite a bit different from what I used with thumb stick steering.
I can also mention that I have mapped left/right steering to tilt left/right (I guess that one was obvious) and throttle to right stick forward and brake to left stick forward. Gear up to R2 and down to L2.

Steering deadzone = 0
Steering sensitivity = 50 (if you set this at 0 you will have to make much larger hand movements to turn, which might suit some people better than the smaller wrist movements I prefer)
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 50
Control filtering sensitivity = 40
Force feedback = 0 (bugged at higher settings, at least for me)
Advanced settings off
Can this be used for Project CARS like a steering wheel? I've been looking into using the motion control, since it kinda worked on the PS3.

Haven't played Project Cars in several weeks. They fixed the vibration bug, but motion controls or not I just don't have nearly as much fun playing PC as DriveClub, so I've been busy with the latter.
I'll give Project Cars another try when I can be bothered to pull my somewhat disappointing - compared to the several Logitech wheels I've owned in the past - and annoyingly clicking Thrustmaster T100 out of the closet.

But I highly recommend giving motion controls a try. They are obviously not comparable to using a wheel in most regards (with practice the smoothness of input can come close though), but for me at least it will be difficult to go back to using thumb sticks for steering input in racing games after using motion controls in DriveClub extensively and Project Cars for a bit.

Which PS3 racing games had tilt control as an option? I wasn't aware there had been any, although it's been almost three years since I last had a PS3.

Well GTA 5 allowed you to use steering for driving, but it was really weird only only did it for a couple minutes. Saints Row 2 also allowed you to fly using motion control, and that was pretty fun. Those are the only ones I remember, but motion control was a thing on PS3. Just too sensitive to use properly.

Motorstorm let you use the Sixaxis for steering. I tried it and it just felt weird to me, so I went back to the sticks.

Back