• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 13 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
So after a couple weeks experimentation I found some DS4 settings that massively improve the PCARS2 controller experience. After much deliberation i'm giving away my secrets here for all of you to enjoy :D

Note this configuration uses a slightly tweaked set-up with L3 telemetry cycles, L1 R1 gearbox for manual, up and down D Pad for lights and wipers and the Strategy menus assigned via left on D Pad.

Steering Deadzone 0
Steering Sensitivity 20
Throttle Deadzone 0
Throttle Sensitivity 5
Brake Deadzone 5
Brake Sensitivity 5
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 25
Speed Sensitivity 75
Damper Saturation 50 (not used)
Controller Damping 55
Controller Vibration 33
Min. Shift Time 0

Note that I vary Controller Damping depending on car, as this set up is still quite sensitive at lower speeds under acceleration and higher speeds to direction changes. In this case I would say 55-75 as a range, depending on car and track, for instance you don't want a car constantly trying to spin out on banks of Daytona!

I agree that the default setup is terrible, and going towards 0 in the deadzone and sensitivity of throttle and brakes helps a lot. But it doesn't solve the erratic behaviors of most of the cars, even the slowest.

I agree that the default setup is terrible, and going towards 0 in the deadzone and sensitivity of throttle and brakes helps a lot. But it doesn't solve the erratic behaviors of most of the cars, even the slowest.
FWD cars have way too excessive lift off oversteer, on these controller settings it does make it at least driveable.

Steering Deadzone 0 :boggled: I keep my at 15 or 12
Controller Damping 55 - I keep my at 10

They work hand in hand - the Deadzone means I get an instant reaction from my controller but the high damping means it is smoother response.

I don't get your R1 L1 for shifting layout...do you use your middle fingers for gas and brake, or do you lift off to shift?

I use Circle and Square for shifting. R1 is pit limiter, L1 changes the HUD. Clutch is down, wipers up, Triangle is look back, X is handbrake, left and right on the Dpad are brake balance. L3 is change view, R3 is lights.

EDIT: This post refers to version 1.03 of the game.

I agree that steering sensitivity (linearity) should be lower than default, since the game still does it "PC sim style" with fairly direct steering, so you might as well make it less sensitive around the center (note: 0 is slow on center and quick at the ends, 50 is linear, 100 is quick on center and slow at the ends). Mine is set to 25.

A Speed Sensitivity setting of 75 is pretty low, and is responsible for your excess sensitivity and wild steering at higher speeds, @Furinkazen. I've found 85 to be low enough even for the Azure Circuit hairpin, and 80 seems useful for some extra control in full-angle drifting. For snappy racecars that have no business being sideways, upping it to 90 can help. I've been keeping Speed Sensitivity to 85 while bouncing between different types of cars, but once tuning setups are usable and I can adjust steering ratios, I might settle on a different value.

I use a Controller Damping setting of 75. Higher values seem too sluggish for medium-sized inputs, but quick corrections need a bit more damping.

Last edited:
I agree that steering sensitivity (linearity) should be lower than default, since the game still does it "PC sim style" with fairly direct steering, so you might as well make it less sensitive around the center (note: 0 is slow on center and quick at the ends, 50 is linear, 100 is quick on center and slow at the ends). Mine is set to 25.

A Speed Sensitivity setting of 75 is pretty low, and is responsible for your excess sensitivity and wild steering at higher speeds, @Furinkazen. I've found 85 to be low enough even for the Azure Circuit hairpin, and 80 seems useful for some extra control in full-angle drifting. For snappy racecars that have no business being sideways, upping it to 90 can help. I've been keeping Speed Sensitivity to 85 while bouncing between different types of cars, but once tuning setups are usable and I can adjust steering ratios, I might settle on a different value.

I use a Controller Damping setting of 75. Higher values seem too sluggish for medium-sized inputs, but quick corrections need a bit more damping.
Wait wait wait....adjusting the steering ratio in the tuning menu does nothing? Like in PC1?

Wait wait wait....adjusting the steering ratio in the tuning menu does nothing? Like in PC1?
It did something in PCARS1; I found it most effective for making the karts more driveable with a controller. It must also does something in PCARS2, but the reason I'm not using it yet is because of the setup corruption glitch.

It did something in PCARS1; I found it most effective for making the karts more driveable with a controller. It must also does something in PCARS2, but the reason I'm not using it yet is because of the setup corruption glitch.
I should clarify. It worked in PCARS 1, but only after you exited the session and started a new one.

I should clarify. It worked in PCARS 1, but only after you exited the session and started a new one.
Really? That would explain why I had mixed results between different cars, as sometimes I'd set it in the main menu first and sometimes I'd be tweaking it from the pit garage. Thanks for the tip, I'll watch out for that in this game. 👍

Not sure exactly how much has changed with the 2.0 patch on PS4 but I’m really really enjoying PC2 now after being shelved for the past 3 weeks.

I spent a few hours playing with the controller settings and came across some settings that I’m really enjoying. Even on authentic assists.

Here are my settings and I’d love to get some feedback on what people think....

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 10
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 30
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 75
Clutch Deadzone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 25
Speed Sensitivity: 95
Damper Saturation: 100
Controller Damping: 100
Controller Vibration: 75
Minimum Shift Time: 0

Also has anyone found that the graphics look much more vibrant and richer with the “Post-Processing Filters” turned off in the Visual FX settings?

PSA: The 2.00 update changed the way steering works. For a given Speed Sensitivity setting, cars aren't as darty and maximum countersteer angles are smaller. Not to mention some of the tire compounds have been updated, and there are the different default setups to try. So I had to reconfigure my DS4 settings.

First, Speed Sensitivity had to come down because I wasn't getting enough countersteer. Once I had enough angle, the steering was too quick, so I had to add more Controller Damping to make up for it. I found that the GT86 (OEM setup), my main test vehicle, could be unsteady with small corrections over crests, so I lowered the Steering Sensitivity to make small inputs smaller.

Damping is now more effective, allowing the quick-tap method of play to be significantly more viable. That's a relief for lengthier races. :)

Here's what I ended up with, along with the notes I usually post:

Code:
Steering Sensitivity:   10
Throttle Sensitivity:   45
Brake Sensitivity:      75

These sensitivities control the linearity of input from the controller.
0-49 is slower near the center/low end and faster at the end of the axis.
51-100 is faster near the center/low end and slower at the end of the axis.

Code:
Speed Sensitivity:      75
Controller Damping:     85

Speed Sensitivity controls the maximum steering lock based on your speed.
95 is the default, setting it lower = greater steering response.

Controller Damping controls the maximum rate of steering.
67 is the default, setting it lower = quicker steering response.

When countersteering, the game allows for more opposite lock to enable you to recover.
The maximum countersteer angle depends on the Speed Sensitivity setting.

I confirmed these settings with a variety of cars and tracks. Still more testing to do, but any further tweaks will be small because my favorite cars are very close to how they should drive.

God freaking dammit, the settings I had were pretty much perfect for me (better than the settings you're stuck with in the GT Sport demo!), so of course they'd have to go and change it...........

Many thanks for the detailed breakdown @Wolfe, shouldn't be such a pain to fix now. 👍

Back