Dual buttkicker gamer 2?!

• Thread starter RaZ3rSh0t
  • 14 comments
RaZ3rSh0t
I'm in the process Of finishing my setup but was wondering anyone if anyone has played around with 2 (or more) buttkicker gamer 2's.

One buttkicker is great but it seems another could be better... Any thoughts on this?! I was hoping it could give me a similar with my "straight piped" racing exhaust from my car

Maybe it's the way I mounted it..But I was hoping to get a bit more rumble out of it without the amp signal clipping.

I'll try to upload a picture later as I am out at the moment.

Current setup:
Apiga ap2 plus
T500rs
1- buttkicker gamer 2

Coming up:
Th8rs - hurry up and arrive in Hk please!!!

Buttkicker gamer 2 is nice but overprices, as RReed43 says you can get 2 Aura Pro Bass Shakers (maybe 4 of those). You can get them for the price of 1 BK Gamer 2.

The power of Gamer 2 is enhanced by the long arm it has and it seems a bit overrated to me.

The larger LFE is a much better choice but it costs more than 6 Auras and an Amp for those :)

I am running dual BKG2's and love them. It emits that L/R feel quite dramatically. I have them set at a hair over 40 and add 10+ clicks to each one and rarely clip them to the point of auto shutdown.

RReed43
I can't speak to a dual Buttkicker setup up but I have a dual tactile setup installed on my Playseat. You can see the details here. I am really happy with it. Lots of power without any clipping.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=225405

Nice setup! Would love to be compare... Between that and a dual gamer 2.

I'm very curious about your equalizer settings. I think I may look into option! Sounds like it may be the best way to curb the clipping issue.

I've also had to turn off the race bgm because the bass notes frequently interfere.

Are u running Multi-audio output from your ps3? The reason I ask is because I have noticed a difference in output levels from the primary audio output vs the non-selected output when running on Multiple audio-output mode... Can anyone verify?

ilonioum
Buttkicker gamer 2 is nice but overprices, as RReed43 says you can get 2 Aura Pro Bass Shakers (maybe 4 of those). You can get them for the price of 1 BK Gamer 2.

The power of Gamer 2 is enhanced by the long arm it has and it seems a bit overrated to me.

The larger LFE is a much better choice but it costs more than 6 Auras and an Amp for those :)

Lol...would love the larger lfe's too. But
Would have to customize the mounts for them...at the moment the gamer seems to the be the most suitable plug n play option.

VINCE__
I am running dual BKG2's and love them. It emits that L/R feel quite dramatically. I have them set at a hair over 40 and add 10+ clicks to each one and rarely clip them to the point of auto shutdown.

I have them set at about the same setting as u. But does yours frequently clip too?! And are u running on Multi-audio output mode...

My primary is with an optical out put to a 5.1 system

My secondary output is from the RCA connection directly into the buttkicker amp.

i am still running one gamer 2 at the moment and will pick up the second one this week. However I've been testing various mounting points on the APIGA frame and they seem to make a difference when mounting in different points.

Where did u end up mounting yours?! Which cockpit are u using?!

I'm very curious about your equalizer settings. I think I may look into option! Sounds like it may be the best way to curb the clipping issue.

I've also had to turn off the race bgm because the bass notes frequently interfere.

Are u running Multi-audio output from your ps3? The reason I ask is because I have noticed a difference in output levels from the primary audio output vs the non-selected output when running on Multiple audio-output mode... Can anyone verify?

I am running multi audio output mode on the Playstation. The main signal is HDMI into a Yamaha AV Receiver. I drive a Bose 7.1 speaker system with an amplified sub woofer with it and pass the video signal to a Sony Bravia via HDMI.

I think an audio equalizer is an inexpensive way to improve the performance of the tactile system. I purchased a used unit on ebay for about $25 including the shipping.

There is a single band pass filter in the subwoofer amplifiers I am using to drive the Aura Shakers. Band pass filters are not very precise and allow a relatively wide range of audio content through into the amplifiers. I am sure the design of the Butt Kicker amplifiers is similar.

Here is a spectrum analysis of the audio stream coming from the PlayStation unfiltered by the audio equalizer. This is from the drivers seat of a car while racing. So this is all race related sounds.
equalizerbypass8907.jpg

Most of the audio energy is above 250 hz and not of interest for tactile responses yet a lot of this will overwhelm the bypass filter on the subwoofer amplifier and cause unwanted vibrations and possibly clipping.

This is the spectrum analysis after employing the filter on the graphic equalizer. You can see that I am boosting at 31hz and 62hz leaving 125 hz alone, cutting at 250 hz and blocking at 500hz and above.
equalizerfiltered8906.jpg

The result is that the peak energy is now at 125hz with very little above 500 hz. This will allow the subwoofer amplifiers to put the energy into tactile frequencies and not audio energy. I will continue to play with the graphic equalizer, the amplifier bandpass filter and the gain on both the equalizer and the amplifiers to see what gives the best result.

I am very pleased with what it does right now.

RaZ3rSh0t
I have them set at about the same setting as u. But does yours frequently clip too?! And are u running on Multi-audio output mode...

My primary is with an optical out put to a 5.1 system

My secondary output is from the RCA connection directly into the buttkicker amp.

i am still running one gamer 2 at the moment and will pick up the second one this week. However I've been testing various mounting points on the APIGA frame and they seem to make a difference when mounting in different points.

Where did u end up mounting yours?! Which cockpit are u using?!

Hey Raz, I am running through the RCA jacks on the back of my plasma. They are tied into L/R outputs and jumped with my p21 turtle beach. Therefor I can mute the audio from the family and get the surround sound I need. The dual Gamer's really make a difference (ie) rumble strips engine sounds, exhaust, gear changes and car sounds from competition around me.
My mounting points for the shakers are located under my seat via a rumble kit from GamePod that I received from my friend in Northern Ireland, the tactical immersion guru Mr Latte. He hooked me up with the kit and 2 mounting posts for a very good deal on brand new parts. Then he opened my eyes about the rubber isolators and I made my own with much better materials.
As for the clipping issue, I only got it when at the menu screens from my BGM selections (which is very heavy metal music). After turning down that volume option it doesn't happen anymore. You basically need to tinker with it till you eliminate it. No big deal. Vince

I am running multi audio output mode on the Playstation. The main signal is HDMI into a Yamaha AV Receiver. I drive a Bose 7.1 speaker system with an amplified sub woofer with it and pass the video signal to a Sony Bravia via HDMI.

I think an audio equalizer is an inexpensive way to improve the performance of the tactile system. I purchased a used unit on ebay for about $25 including the shipping.

There is a single band pass filter in the subwoofer amplifiers I am using to drive the Aura Shakers. Band pass filters are not very precise and allow a relatively wide range of audio content through into the amplifiers. I am sure the design of the Butt Kicker amplifiers is similar.

Here is a spectrum analysis of the audio stream coming from the PlayStation unfiltered by the audio equalizer. This is from the drivers seat of a car while racing. So this is all race related sounds.
equalizerbypass8907.jpg

Most of the audio energy is above 250 hz and not of interest for tactile responses yet a lot of this will overwhelm the bypass filter on the subwoofer amplifier and cause unwanted vibrations and possibly clipping.

This is the spectrum analysis after employing the filter on the graphic equalizer. You can see that I am boosting at 31hz and 62hz leaving 125 hz alone, cutting at 250 hz and blocking at 500hz and above.
equalizerfiltered8906.jpg

The result is that the peak energy is now at 125hz with very little above 500 hz. This will allow the subwoofer amplifiers to put the energy into tactile frequencies and not audio energy. I will continue to play with the graphic equalizer, the amplifier bandpass filter and the gain on both the equalizer and the amplifiers to see what gives the best result.

I am very pleased with what it does right now.

Great job. You recognized an issue with tactile and addressed it. Thanks for the graphic explanation and solution. Really useful info. 👍

Scotty

While 2x Buttkicker will offer a good enough performance each BK amplifer you buy is a limited single channel amplifer. Performance will be dependant very much on how and where it is installed.

Personally I would say you should price as an alternative a stereo amplifer that can handle 4ohms or even 6ohms would be ok. Aura Pro tactile will outperform the BK Gamer tactile units or consider dual "Buttkicker Mini LFE" models.

What you could have is L/R tactile working from this new amplifer as dual tactile. Yet combine that with your already purchased Gamer. Using this for the LFE/Subwoofer tactile. They are not the same and often produce different effects.

It really is the same idea as (2.1) stereo speakers and a sub but using tactile.
This offers a much better experience than just a single tactile unit.

EQ's or Bass Extenders can further the tactile performance and give more personal tweaking options, however even "DSP" settings will effect how your tactile responds and feels.

While 2x Buttkicker will offer a good enough performance each BK amplifer you buy is a limited single channel amplifer. Performance will be dependant very much on how and where it is installed......

Bold emphasis js mine

First off I like the 2.1 tactile idea, simple but sophisticated. With only 2x BK Gamer2s how and where would be optimum inial placement in your opinion.

Thanks,
Scotty

Bold emphasis js mine

First off I like the 2.1 tactile idea, simple but sophisticated. With only 2x BK Gamer2s how and where would be optimum inial placement in your opinion.

Thanks,
Scotty

For a cockpit?

I recommend using a wooden or metal support that is under or attaches to the seat. Tactile works best if you can have a surface resonate the vibrations over a wider area and not just in a small "heat spot" where it is attached and at its strongest.

Gamepod do two great platforms, Vince has one and I reckon he can tell you how it perhaps improved his before and after tactile experience with dual Gamers.

Im running a dual buttkicker gamer setup on my rig, 1x gamer (original) & 1x gamer 2, One on the left side of rig and other on right side.

I have the gamer amp hooked up to the output port on my gamer 2 amp.

It adds more feel because you can actually feel whats happening on the left and right as it happens in game, instead of feeling just one rumble for all effects.

Last edited:
how do you connect both amps to run the pair ?

Back