Dual compatibility?

• Thread starter zr1chris
  • 7 comments
zr1chris
zr1chris
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have both an XB1S and a PS4 but don't know which console to buy a wheel for. I love both GT and Forza pretty equally, maybe Forza just a bit more.

Onto my question....

Why isn't anyone making a wheel that works on both consoles like the old Fanatec GT2 and PWTS? Logitech and Thrustmaster both make wheels for both consoles. Why not make a wheel that works with both. I'd pay a little extra for dual compatibility but I don't want to pay double for 2 wheels.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have both an XB1S and a PS4 but don't know which console to buy a wheel for. I love both GT and Forza pretty equally, maybe Forza just a bit more.

Onto my question....

Why isn't anyone making a wheel that works on both consoles like the old Fanatec GT2 and PWTS? Logitech and Thrustmaster both make wheels for both consoles. Why not make a wheel that works with both. I'd pay a little extra for dual compatibility but I don't want to pay double for 2 wheels.
Looking in to third party attachments to enable compatibility might be worthwhile. The options are expanding, and I'm not entirely up to date with all developments, but researching GIMX, Crosshair, CronusMAX, and others, should get you started at least.

With the right set up you should be able to have even a "PC only" wheel compatible with both X1 and PS4.

I have looked into it but haven't pulled the trigger on buying any of them. They all seem to have a bit of troubleshooting to get working and even then in allot of cases it isn't properly. I have the PWTS and loved how it was fully compatible with both the PS3 and 360. Someone really needs to produce another for this gen.

Lack of working wheels on both systems is the biggest BS move by the console manufactures IMO. Fanatec where our saviours last gen but it seems this gen the manufacturers, Sony in particular, are being aholes about it.

They could make it really easy for those of us with both systems but choose not to. It can only be a wish to make as much money as possible from us.

I have thought a lot about this and have decided (at this point) it must come down to one of two things: (in terms of the console makers)

A. They don't care, since there just aren't enough people buying wheels, much less using both platforms.
-or-
B. They have no idea...

It could be a little of both I suppose... I do know personally that Microsoft pays attention, though I don't know how much exactly.

I have gone back and forth on this over the years, but I find the whole licensing thing stupid now. While I understand it, the defense doesn't make sense. Either you can certify the wheel as working on a platform, or you can't. If you can, why not allow it? If there really are so few people using wheels, the amount made from licensing is but a drop in the bucket!

Both platforms recognize HID, which is how the wheels "talk" to the consoles. All that should be necessary is a manufacturer to provide the necessary driver for FFB, make the wheel compatible and go through the necessary certification processes. Hell, provide an API at the OS level that they write to, the games could adhere to this as well and case closed...

Unfortunately for us all, it comes down to money and on the part of the console makers, not the manufactures. I highly doubt that a company like Logitech or Thrustmaster wants to pigeon hole their customers. Quite the opposite I'd guess. Contrary as it might seem.

The PC is the savior here... :) Though even then, Microsoft is trying to be a turd about it with games like Forza Horizon 3. Unfortunate, really... I had heard they were heading in a different direction, especial on console, but it seems that didn't happen. Yet.

Edit: I would encourage you all to speak with your WORDS and not your wallet... As I stated before, our wallets likely don't wield much power given our numbers. However, they may not be truly aware of what we want... In the end, they might actually end up making more money...

Last edited:
Just to add, the amount of time spent setting up certificate authentication and other "preventative measures" by console manufacturers and thus wheel manufacturers could have easily been spent creating a common protocol (and/or API) for something like this. One really has to wonder what the issue truly is here. If either console maker thinks that a user will choose a particular console over another because of this, they are obviously mistaken. More than likely, they'll simply leave the mess behind and move to PC. To qoute one of my favorite YouTubers, "it boggles the mind." - AvE

kinda same boat. I have both. PS4 started as my primary so I got the t300, but now Im leaning more toward xbox as my primary and wish I could just plug my wheel into it. Ive looked into cronusmax, for ex, but it seems easier for a xbox wheel to be used on ps4 then the other way around. The good thing is that with xbox crossbuy, all forza's will be on pc so I can play it there.

Back