DualShock 3 Controller vs Steering Wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter humfer
  • 29 comments
  • 5,895 views
Messages
16
Hello all. Have used my DS3 controlled since getting GT5 about 5 weeks ago and completed all but the FGT on the A-spec (exc. endurance) but although completed all the specials (exc Vettel which I am finding proper hard to even get 10 secs within bronze) and licences most are only at bronze with only a few a silver or gold. Just seen a few comments looking through this board about controllers vs steering wheels (esp. Vettel ref how much harder it is than with a wheel). Just wondering what people generally feel the benefits and disadvantages are. Obviously added expense and setting up hassle with the wheel but what benefits does it give you? General rule of thumb for sec's saved per lap? Obviously combined with peddles giving analogue control of throttle so you are not either full on or full off like you are with the controller (although guess you could use the R2 buttons...)
 
I think it's much harder to corner smoothly and without losing too much speed with the Dualshock. You can also control your speed more precisely with the pedals. Of course with the Dualshock you don't need to apply too much pressure on the buttons/pedals than with a wheel.
 
The benifits for me is that it becomes a simulator and not just a game. Even if it slowed me down it would be worth it. I went crazy this last month and got the Fanatec gt2 wheel, Playseat and Buttkicker. It's a whole different game now. With the Buttkicker mounted to the seat I can feel the cars motor now. I got the r8 LMS last night and the motor vibrates the seat like crazy. I don't know your budget but the more you can get to make it real the better. I would at least start off with a wheel and wheelstand if you cant go all out on a seat. Even the DFGT wheel makes a difference in feel over the controller.
 
Well so far, I've managed to get all bronze and a silver on Monza for the Vettel challenges. The controller is simply not as responsive as a wheel. The discrepancy really doesn't matter until you get to the X1 challenges because I've managed to get gold on everything else. You need that bit of extra functionality on the X1 though due to the nature of the car. I had been trying to emulate the driving in some gold time videos on Suzuka and noticed I simply cannot coast around the esses at their speed without flying off the track. I have to brake while they don't have to. The same goes for a lot of the other turns as well. Also, you don't have to be either full on/off the throttle on the DS3. I use the stick and it allows for decent throttle control.
 
It's definitely more precise and more fun.

I'm still finding it hard to go through hairpins and correct oversteer.
 
Hi...

It all depends of the car in question. The more the car "bites" worst with the controller. Well balanced cars are pretty neat with the DS3. Drift seems to be a lot easier with controller, but that I can't asure, as I don't drift at all.

Some people make great times with controller, but with a good steering wheel should be better. Unfortunelly my wheel isn't compatible with PS3, because it's easier and more pleasant to drive in the PC.
 
What:
Steering wheel setup do you use?
Is it setup on?
Seat do you use?
 
Seriously, this is a driving simulator, its like playing streetfighter with a control pad. You can pull it of with certain characters but you know its much more precise and easier on a joystick and buttons.

So in this scenario, I have a DFGT and recently sold my G27 to make way for a GT2 Fanatec. The DFGT is alot of fun and I must of recommended it to alot of people, if you want something a litlle higher end, G27/GT2 or very high end for a console racer... T500RS.

Happy gaming :)
 
Wheel is by far better. I had been gaming for two decades on a controller. Made the wheel move at Christmas, being I work for the family welding and machine shop. I fabbed a cockpit with dimensions based off my Evo 8. Anyway, went back through the License test and wanted to try those bronze test results out. Replace them all but three with silvers or gold. I gave each one about 3-5 tries before besting it.

Smooth is key and the wheel allows you to be spot on your marks.
 
I use controllers, and what may even sound worse to you, I use the D-pad. always have done, always will.
 
I'll take the analog sticks on my DS3 over one of those big arcade sticks any day =P
 
I played GT4 for a long time with a wheel.. and then fell out of gaming a bit as I grew up
Recently got a ps3 and GT5, but with a life and a job and all I couldn't justify shelling out so much for a wheel when I wasn't sure I'd be able to commit as much.
hks_controller_small.jpg


The HKS controller retails for $39.99, it handles like a wheel (granted there is no replacement for one) But I found myself shaving seconds off lap times effortlessly

full details here, it seems like a gimmick but its a solid and well thought out controller

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3887
 
I got gold on all the 60 Licences and almost all special events untill level 26 using a DS3. The AMG driving academy is the hardest so far, but with a few practice it's possible to get gold if you have patience.
Of course, Gt5 is a driving simulator. A wheel would be more apropriated. But, if you customize your controller you can get as accurate as a player with a wheel. I use R2 to accelerate, L2 for braking, Circle to handbrake, Right Analog Stick to change gears, and the left one for direction. I think that the hardest part is to get a smoother cornering with a DS3, but it's possible with practice.
 
I'd say there's benefits and downsides to both. Of course the wheel makes it a totally different game, most notably with the force feedback and very precise steering control you can get. A lot of people simply can't use an analogue stick as well or as easily as the wheel. I played Prologue with a DS3 and really you can make incredibly subtle movements with it if you're very precise, about as close as you can get with a wheel. The main problem however comes with applying throttle since the R2 button is simply not up to the task. The triggers on an Xbox pad are perfect however. With a wheel making sudden changes in direction and doing it accurately is much harder especially with the 900 degrees (unchangeable) of rotation (I really wish they'd let us use just 200 degrees with the DFGT if we want to). This makes the rally stages a real challenge to me as with a pad I can counter steer in an instant but with my not so sturdy steering wheel set up I just don't feel confident flinging it around quickly as my table will probably fall apart! :p

The wheel is the only way now but I have had a cheeky game or two with a pad (rally challenge round Eiger) and it's still not so bad. Plus you can sit on the sofa :)
 
You can play GT on the toilet with a pad.
 
I got gold on all the 60 Licences and almost all special events untill level 26 using a DS3. The AMG driving academy is the hardest so far, but with a few practice it's possible to get gold if you have patience.
Of course, Gt5 is a driving simulator. A wheel would be more apropriated. But, if you customize your controller you can get as accurate as a player with a wheel. I use R2 to accelerate, L2 for braking, Circle to handbrake, Right Analog Stick to change gears, and the left one for direction. I think that the hardest part is to get a smoother cornering with a DS3, but it's possible with practice.

👍 +1 darq ... L2/R2 for brake/throttle gives good precision. Was the default in Dirt2 as i recall. New one on the right stick for shifting tho- must try!
 
I played GT4 for a long time with a wheel.. and then fell out of gaming a bit as I grew up
Recently got a ps3 and GT5, but with a life and a job and all I couldn't justify shelling out so much for a wheel when I wasn't sure I'd be able to commit as much.
hks_controller_small.jpg


The HKS controller retails for $39.99, it handles like a wheel (granted there is no replacement for one) But I found myself shaving seconds off lap times effortlessly

full details here, it seems like a gimmick but its a solid and well thought out controller

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3887

If you manage to get all gold on the Vettel challenges with this controller can you tell us about it because it doesn't seem that it's possible with a normal DS3.
 
👍 +1 darq ... L2/R2 for brake/throttle gives good precision. Was the default in Dirt2 as i recall. New one on the right stick for shifting tho- must try!

I don't understand why you would use L2 R2 for accelerating/braking when the right analog stick is 1000 times more precise
 
a steering wheel makes the game a million times more fun IMO
 
I don't understand why you would use L2 R2 for accelerating/braking when the right analog stick is 1000 times more precise

With the l2/r2 you can drag brake to scuff speed with out coming completely off the power........I prefer the stick myself though.


On this note that HKS controller is nice looking. Held one yesterday, didn't get the chance to try it. We played the move instead.. . . .that is pretty dang cool too.
 
You can get more exact turning, and its just more fun with a wheel!
 
I´v been saying it for a long time. It doesn´t really matter if you use the DS or a steering wheel.

1. The steering wheel is much easier to use, plus it adds to the realism.
2. The DS controller is by far the most precise controller there is, and if you know how to use it, it will be as good, or better than a wheel.

In my case, I´ve been using the DS since GT1 like this:
Left Analog= Steer
Right Analog= Gas and Brakes

I know it sounds impossible, but with this setting you get the best control of the car´s steering, gas and brakes. Maybe for some, its impossible to have such control over such small joysicks, but is all about getting used to it. Like I´ve said, I´ve been playing Gran Turismo like this since 1998, and I´ve also borrowed a GTDF and G25 from a friend, and I got to say its alot of fun, but my times are pretty much the same with both devices. I haven´t had any problem getting gold on all license tests and special events since the firts Gran Turismos. I don´t even use assists, and I have no problems like spining the tires or locking the brakes with any car. So I´m happy with how I drive, and it makes me feel good when my friends tell me that I make it look easy. Do I want a wheel? Heck yes!! Not for being faster, but to enjoy the game a little bit better.
 
I played GT4 for a long time with a wheel.. and then fell out of gaming a bit as I grew up
Recently got a ps3 and GT5, but with a life and a job and all I couldn't justify shelling out so much for a wheel when I wasn't sure I'd be able to commit as much.
hks_controller_small.jpg


The HKS controller retails for $39.99, it handles like a wheel (granted there is no replacement for one) But I found myself shaving seconds off lap times effortlessly

full details here, it seems like a gimmick but its a solid and well thought out controller

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3887

Thanks for posting this, I have seen it on Amazon before I got GT5, and wondered why. But using GT5 with DS3 the only thing to improve it would be the X & sq button sensitivity/control, which this over comes :).

I will buy this as I cannot warrant to the wife a logitech wheel as much as we would all love one :(

This seems like a good half way solution to those that cannot go the whole hog to a wheel setup, but want similar DS3 layout with increased sensitivity/control.

Also the term wheel assumes all wheels are equal, I have played with some absolute shocking wheels. Looking at the G25-27 I think they are called, now they look awesome but have a price tag which you can assume means quality.
 
I've never thought a wheel felt like the real thing and I could never justify the price so I use the controller, steering with the D-pad at that! I'm sure despite the feeling of a wheel I could be faster with one if I bought one and practiced on it but I just don't think it's worth it to me.
 
Just ordered my DFGT off Amazon. They are $50 off right now! ($20 instant, $30 rebate). Free shipping. I've gotten to level 26 with the DS3 and frankly I've had no issue driving the FGT but I wanna get more from my game but I don't wanna spend money for a GT2/G27
 
I've been a controller only racer since GT1. I briefly owned a wheel during GT3 era, but gave it away due to the inconvenience; and not feeling like it gave me enough improvement.

Vettle X1 challenge changed everything for me. I couldn't crack it. I bought a DF GT, and now I have bronzed 2 out of the three races. Each took me about 8 hours of attempts. With the controller I was nowhere near making the times I needed.

The two critical advantages I see with the wheel:
1) Smoother driving gives me better traction at the extremes
2) Force feedback gives me information about traction limits before it's too late.

I've seen the DFGT on sale for as little as $90 USD. I recommend it.
 
I´v been saying it for a long time. It doesn´t really matter if you use the DS or a steering wheel.

1. The steering wheel is much easier to use, plus it adds to the realism.
2. The DS controller is by far the most precise controller there is, and if you know how to use it, it will be as good, or better than a wheel.

In my case, I´ve been using the DS since GT1 like this:
Left Analog= Steer
Right Analog= Gas and Brakes

I know it sounds impossible, but with this setting you get the best control of the car´s steering, gas and brakes. Maybe for some, its impossible to have such control over such small joysicks, but is all about getting used to it. Like I´ve said, I´ve been playing Gran Turismo like this since 1998, and I´ve also borrowed a GTDF and G25 from a friend, and I got to say its alot of fun, but my times are pretty much the same with both devices. I haven´t had any problem getting gold on all license tests and special events since the firts Gran Turismos. I don´t even use assists, and I have no problems like spining the tires or locking the brakes with any car. So I´m happy with how I drive, and it makes me feel good when my friends tell me that I make it look easy. Do I want a wheel? Heck yes!! Not for being faster, but to enjoy the game a little bit better.

You haven't done the Vettel challenges have you. It's simply impossible to get the same level of steering out of the controller.

But by all means prove me wrong. I'd be glad to find out I can complete this game fully with the controller since that's all I intend to use.
 
Hello all. Have used my DS3 controlled since getting GT5 about 5 weeks ago and completed all but the FGT on the A-spec (exc. endurance) but although completed all the specials (exc Vettel which I am finding proper hard to even get 10 secs within bronze) and licences most are only at bronze with only a few a silver or gold. Just seen a few comments looking through this board about controllers vs steering wheels (esp. Vettel ref how much harder it is than with a wheel). Just wondering what people generally feel the benefits and disadvantages are. Obviously added expense and setting up hassle with the wheel but what benefits does it give you? General rule of thumb for sec's saved per lap? Obviously combined with peddles giving analogue control of throttle so you are not either full on or full off like you are with the controller (although guess you could use the R2 buttons...)

I played for a long time with a DS3. I got a wheel for christmas and, for example in nurburgring acadamy i could make gold with the controller but now I do like 7:20... 7:15... 7:10, im getting use to it.

Its much more fun, I will never EVER play a driving game without a wheel now. Its just so amazing. I remember playing Grand Prix 2 like ten years ago and a friend had a wheel it was BS, no feedback, nothing, in my mind wheel were still like that... NOOO its amazing !!!! you need 1 :)
 
Back