Duke Nukem...

  • Thread starter Thread starter BradLTL
  • 13 comments
  • 1,459 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
169
Ok, this is official flame bait, but what the hell...

I read GTPlanet and several other sites. I started thinking about the last time there was this much hype about a game and then it hit me... Duke Nukem Forever!

So, then I thought, let's compare the 2 games...
  • Both had a ridiculous development budget.
  • Both games switched engines during the development cycle.
  • Both games released samples, screenshots and videos.
  • Neither game had a definitive release date... "When it is done"
  • Duke was announced in 1997, and topped the vaporware list in 2001... 4 years.
  • GT5 was announced in 2006, and it is now 2010... 4 years. Vaporware?

Makes me crazy!!!! :crazy:
 
Luckily GT5 is tied in with massive potential PS3 sales, sony will never let the GT franchise just wither and die..

I dont think theres any chance of it becoming vapourware..
 
Duke Nukem Forever still has a chance to come out, even though the developer is gone, one of the voice actors for the game let some information out about how he couldn't talk about the game because it was going to come out.
 
Duke Nukem had some serious internal problems with publisher/developer, that's why it topped vaporware lists in only 4 years. It was very unlikely the game would see the light of day.

GT, on the other hand...I don't need to go there. It's coming, guy.
 
Another dumb thread.

There's a difference between a game not shown in playable form for over 12 years, and a game which has only been in development for 5 years, with a playable demo within the first year. Not to mention tons of new screenshots, trailers and even demos every few months.

Compare...

Duke Nukem:

1997: announcement
1998: trailer #1
1999: ...
2000: ...
2001: trailer #2
2002: ...
2003: ...
2004: ...
2005: ...
2006: ...
2007: teaser
2008: ...
2009: cancelled


Gran Turismo 5

2006: announcement (as GTHD) + playable demo on PSN
2007: GT5 Prologue released
2008: (for GT5 Prologue) splitscreen, more cars & a new track
2009: game show demo with damage
2010: release​
 
Oh boy, another original, innovative thread... :rolleyes:
 
[UK] ANDYW;3826767
I dont think theres any chance of it becoming vapourware..

Isn't that why we all held on hope for DN4... and judging by the other post still do? Marketing potential. In '97 and '98 Duke was king, it has been awhile so the memories may have faded, but there was probably as much hype around Duke as any other game to that point.

I guess my question is, did PD bite off more than they can chew? Are the goals for GT5 unreachable and unreleasable? I hope not, but you have to start to wonder at some point. We keep justifying the delays. First it was content/quality, then it was Sony's financial year, after that it was 3D TVs and/or PS Move; I am guessing the next will be tied to the survey about new owners and the lack of PS3 supply.

I don't like being the doubter, but you have to really consider it with all the events that have passed. I am in major software sales, so I may have a unique view. I know you don't let you competitor capture the market if you can prevent it (Forza 3). I know that if you are going to conduct a major marketing campaign you time your release to be ready to capitalize on the influx of sales (GT Academy). If you think for 1 second that there have not been some severe conversations regarding those 2 points you are naive and mistaken.

Sales pipelines are reviewed weekly, and performance is measured quarterly. Everyday that goes by the pressure builds on the executives over PS3 and PD.
 
I don't like being the doubter, but you have to really consider it with all the events that have passed. I am in major software sales, so I may have a unique view. I know you don't let you competitor capture the market if you can prevent it (Forza 3).
Please tell me just how much damage Microsoft did by releasing Forza 3? How many lost console and software sales will have resulted from that? In the grand scheme of things, not many. That's why they are not rushing this game out to market, because they know the market is still there. Sure, some people will have sold their PS3 to get an Xbox 360 and Forza 3, and some who were yet to buy a console will have opted for the same. However, it's fair to say that of all those people who got fed up of waiting and either sold up or bought an Xbox 360, a large number will seek out a PS3 once GT5 hits and buyers remorse sets in.
 
skip to 0:32... :D (otherwise you won't get it...)

 
Last edited:
I'm all for holy grail quests but WTF ?
 
@ OP thanks for another garbage thread... bye
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back