Dumb Car Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 70 comments
Honda definitely has the most put into it. My memory may be failing me, but I think Honda's own CEO thinks the jump to EVs is too soon, but they make them due to the increasing pressure on the industry to go into them. As @TheCracker said, its far too unfeasible for mass market appeal at this stage, but some have still had an attempt. Hyundai have done some hydrogen concepts, and Toyota offer the Mirai in very limited numbers.

I suppose the trouble is, as hydrogen cars have a similar range to petrol/diesel cars and the fuelling of them is essentially a similar process and time-scale, it would make sense to slowly fade out petrol stations selling petrol/diesel and start implimenting hydrogen sales. In simplistic terms, you'd just replace the pumps and fuel storage like-for-like without redesigning the concept of those fuel filling stations, as you do really with EV charging stations. Some petrol stations will and are getting revamped as EV charging stations, but the footprint of these outlets doesn't financially make much sense i wouldn't have thought. Without a total redesign having just 20 cars sat for 30-60 minutes to refuel, when previously they were having maybe 120 cars pass through an hour (based on a 10 pumps / 10 EV charging points layout) you are going to massively slash your profits unless you can make 5-6 times the profit off the fuel you're selling.

Last edited:
I suppose the entire culture of refueling a car will have to change. Excuse me if I really do sound dumb on this one but I haven't driven regularly since 2013, but the idea of "stopping for fuel on the way" is going to be a thing of the past? A 60 second activity becoming a 30+ minute activity is going to mean everyone will have to rethink their journey planning. New charging stations surely need to have some bonus ameneties to pass the time away.

I wonder if hydrogen would be equally as time consuming?

I suppose the entire culture of refueling a car will have to change. Excuse me if I really do sound dumb on this one but I haven't driven regularly since 2013, but the idea of "stopping for fuel on the way" is going to be a thing of the past? A 60 second activity becoming a 30+ minute activity is going to mean everyone will have to rethink their journey planning. New charging stations surely need to have some bonus ameneties to pass the time away.

I'd imagine it should be more or less the same as propane or natural gas, really, which isn't any more time consuming than liquid fuels, really.

Last edited:
And thinking about @Exorcet mentioning unsprung downforce gives me the heebie-jeebies remembering the first F1 wings in '68 and '69 (and the Chaparral 2E in the US,) where the wing's supports were fixed directly to the suspension uprights, and failures had disastrous consequences in F1.
It can be a double edged sword indeed. The increased effectiveness of downforce also means increased effectiveness of lift if the wing ends up with the wrong angle of attack. There is the also the matter of actually designing and constructing your aero system, which is a lot more complex when you can't just bolt it to the body.

I don't actually see that big of a change for me personally, unless there are no charging stations at home or work. Routine refueling may actually be totally eliminated if my car can just recharge when parked. When I take longer trips I usually stop for some time to eat or rest, so the charge time probably won't extend my trips.

There is also the possibility of induction charging on the road which could lead to EV's having huge ranges.

As for how long before we see them, who knows. California (of course) has a limited hydrogen distribution system and has had some fuel-cell cars available in very limited areas, I supposed a "let's-see-how-this-works" program. I know of several companies developing hydrogen ICE cars but I know of no commitments for availability.

I have seen hydrogen proposed as both a fuel for fuel cells, generating electricity for electric drive and as internal combustion engines not much different than what we use for gasoline.

Fuel-cell cars would still have batteries, but they don't need anywhere near the size battery pack that a non-fuel-cell EV needs, the fuel cell charges the battery and supplies power to the motor, and the battery can be tapped for higher energy into the motor than the fuel cell can deliver alone.

Hydrogen internal combustion uses an engine like we're all familiar with, and the exhaust even sounds close to what we're used to.

The problem with hydrogen is it's hard to get. It may be the most abundant element on Earth, but its atoms are always bonded with others into compounds, like water. Producing hydrogen is itself energy-negative; it takes more energy to get it than the hydrogen contains, so whatever powers your hydrogen production may not be as green as one would hope.

I saw someone above mention that it has to be stored cold, but that's not true; it simply has to be stored at very high pressure. Rockets store it cryogenic fuel because they couldn't lift a tank strong enough to store it at something like 10,000 psi.

The advantage of hydrogen over pure electric is that refueling is on par with gasoline refueling, and nowhere near the time required for charging a battery. The disadvantage relative to both EV and petroleum fuel is cost and infrastructure, and of course proponents promise that both will get better with wide adoption. I'm no civil engineer, but personally, I think (purely a guess) that a hydrogen infrastructure would be much easier to build than rebuilding the electrical grid so every family can have two or three or four electric cars.

As for refueling, it looks to be on par with filling a gas tank. No need to plan your stops around meals or some other place to kill time.

I just saw @Exorcet's mention of induction charging on the road. How does that work, exactly? If you can insert energy into an EV as it travels, why not just power it like that? (Simplistic question, I know, but I'd never seen that referred to before.)

Last edited:
I just saw @Exorcet's mention of induction charging on the road. How does that work, exactly? If you can insert energy into an EV as it travels, why not just power it like that? (Simplistic question, I know, but I'd never seen that referred to before.)
Somehow I missed this mention, but the idea is the same as induction used for charging phones or cooking on induction stoves. You just need a source to produce a magnetic field and generate current in the battery with that instead of along a wire. You could skip the charge and power the vehicle directly with this on paper, but then you'd be limited in where you could go and you'd also need a lot more charging infrastructure. If the vehicle has a battery, then it can store energy for use in areas where induction isn't available. Within cities where chargers would be common, batteries would eliminate the need to place chargers on every street.

What would a practical induction system look like or what scale of infrastructure is needed to accomodate this technology? I don't know enough to discuss that in detail, but I imagine that something like having chargers at busy stoplight intersections may be feasible. Public transport like busses may incorporate them into their stops. Lining an entire highway with chargers should be possible, but I don't know if there is enough payoff to outfit entire roads for charging.

What would a practical induction system look like or what scale of infrastructure is needed to accomodate this technology? I don't know enough to discuss that in detail, but I imagine that something like having chargers at busy stoplight intersections may be feasible. Public transport like busses may incorporate them into their stops. Lining an entire highway with chargers should be possible, but I don't know if there is enough payoff to outfit entire roads for charging.
H2199_Bumper_Cars_-_Autorata_C.JPG
Ninco_JGTC_Fahrerfeld.jpg

Realistically, the infrastructure would be hellishly expensive and i would imagine, inefficient.

Are beadlock-"capable" wheels anything more than a gimmick? Are they just simulators without any functionality?

With beadlocks, the tire mounts to the outside edge of the outside end of the wheel rim (the inside end--closest to the vehicle centerline--is conventional) and the beadlock ring bolts to the wheel to sandwich the bead and keep it pressed against the rim so that it doesn't release due to extreme low tire pressures.

If a wheel holds the tire without the beadlock ring, how could it ever function as a true beadlock?

Last edited:
My understanding is that beadlocks are intended for offroad use, where tire pressures are intentionally reduced, almost flattened, for situations like digging out of mud or sand, maybe rock-crawling. I'm not an offroader at all, but I've seen it discussed (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!) They have no practical purpose on ordinary road wheels.

When I found out that Maserati will have ended QP totally and Ghibli (V8s) by December 2023, I went to wikipedia (english, german and intalian) pages and it seems that V6 and hybrid (Ghibli only) variants are still produced. Are they actually being produced or its just remaining stock? Other news sources say only V8 sedans and Levante are axed not all versions. One bunch of sites say that QP and Ghibli are done in 2024, another bunch give another year for Ghibli. Global official site has both sedans for configuration, and italian website has pages available for two sedans together with SUVs and GT/GC. It is just so confusing to me when there is so much conflicting information

Back