Dumb Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 760 comments
Is it all or mostly carbon just arranged in a particular way?
Simplest answer is yes. Mostly carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen. The DNA bases (ATCGU) are all structures of those 4, cell walls are C,O,H. Everything else is a derivative of the above. Then there are the other elements (eg Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium etc) in various amount that all play a role.

Simplest answer is yes. Mostly carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen. The DNA bases (ATCGU) are all structures of those 4, cell walls are C,O,H. Everything else is a derivative of the above. Then there are the other elements (eg Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium etc) in various amount that all play a role.
Thanks. That's fascinating to me, someone who just doesn't get it. How those elements can make so many different things and exist in so many different ways.

Thanks. That's fascinating to me, someone who just doesn't get it. How those elements can make so many different things and exist in so many different ways.
A lot of it is carbon's place in the period table. Electrons arrange themselves in shells (areas where they orbit*) around the atomic nucleus and the most stable configuration of shells is to have those shells completely filled (or empty). This is why noble gases are so resistant to chemical reactions, they have stable electron shells. All the other atoms want to imitate the noble gas shells by gaining or losing electrons. Carbon is situated such that it is half filled, and it has the correct number of electrons to fill another carbon atom's shell, which allows it to make complex structures.

I wanted to go into more detail originally, but in typing that out I realized that I haven't worked through any chemistry in a long time. What I typed below should have the general idea correct, but the details may be wrong.

Carbon has six electrons. Two are in the 1s shell close to the nucleus, these are tightly bound and fill the shell. Two more are in the 2s shell and the last two are in the 2p shell. So the six electrons are arranged with two in the 1 shell and and four in the 2 shell. In order for carbon to have balanced shells like the nearest noble gases, helium and neon, it can either lose 4 electrons (give up all the p electrons) or gain 4 electrons (fill the p shell).

Since carbon has 4 electrons that makes it a good partner for itself and as a consequence, carbon is able to make very long chains by bonding with other carbon atoms. This allows it to make a large variety of compounds and even small structures. So carbon along with a handful of other elements can create thousands upon thousands of compounds.

*The atomic world is strange and orbit isn't an accurate term, but it's good enough for this discussion.

Why are conservatives so wont to deny or disparage the consent of others?

Is denigration, including by law, of the consent of an individual to pregnancy really that removed from the denigration of consent by individuals, which necessarily includes minors, to sexual contact?

What's the deal with electric cars after their battery dies?
Most likely the car will meet the requirements for 85-95% reusability, recyclability, recoverability as legislated, same with all cars that are homologated for sale in the EU.

What's the deal with...
tumblr_n80btjCbsc1qz5q5lo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
What's the deal with electric cars after their battery dies?
EV batteries are replaceable and recyclable. They're no different from ICE vehicles; when the engine fails, you swap in a new one and continue driving, or you scrap the car. Battery costs are similar to modern engine costs, too, as the labour is comparable.

EV batteries are replaceable and recyclable. They're no different from ICE vehicles; when the engine fails, you swap in a new one and continue driving, or you scrap the car. Battery costs are similar to modern engine costs, too, as the labour is comparable.
So they aren't like smartphones?
There is a Dumb Car Questions thread in CIG where members with better topical knowledge who don't hang around here might help.
I forgot about that thread but considering what I've said within this sub-forum, I thought it was appropriate to continue the discussion here.

Back