Dumbest rules in motorsports.

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 62 comments
The definition and and imposing of track limit rules in certain forms of Motor Racing. I mean there appeared to be no indication that Ricky Collard had received any warning regarding track limits before getting penalised in Race 3 of today's British Touring Car Championship meeting at Brands Hatch. What do they expect the drivers to do when they are under pressure from whoever's behind them?

The same goes for limiting how much a driver can move around in an attempt to defend his or her position.

I think it is the track limit rules that are the problem, I really don't understand how UK Motorsport has got into the position it's created such a ridiculous rule in the first place. I can understand there's a few places where track limits are required, for instance where there's a run off for safety reasons that could be massively abused otherwise.

For a track like Brands Hatch there's nothing like that, the whole circuit has natural limits that do the job perfectly. There's so many things wrong with unnecessary track limit rules. From a driving point of view it feels crap driving to an articially painted line, from a spectators point of view it also doesn't look so spectacular. Driving a car to the natural limits of the circuit is much more exciting to both do and to watch.

As we saw on Sunday, it's also bad from a spectators point of view to have what was a thrilling dice for the win instead decided by an official looking at whether a car crossed a painted line or not. It must be gutting and so frustrating for a driver to lose a win like that. Whereas if you lost it because you ran wide, put a wheel on the grass or in the gravel you're left in no doubt it was your mistake, you can take it on the chin and resolve not to make the same mistake next time.

There was a farcial situation in the end of season FIA F3 showdown at Monza last year, where multiple track limit penalties kept getting announced one by one during a red flag stoppage. Penalites that changed the points scored by title contenders and potentially affecting the outcome of the championship.
Exactly!

Quite rightly so.

In the 2001 British Touring Car Championship, they had this rule which applied only to the Sprint races where the Touring Class would start a certain number of seconds before the Production Class but would then have to complete an extra lap so the Touring Class runners would effectively be behind the Production Class runners, despite appearing to be ahead on the road. This resulted in 6 instances (not counting the first round at Brands Hatch where both classes had separate Sprint races altogether) where a Production Class runner was the first car to finish but would not be recognised as the official winner since the Production Class was a separate Championship from that of the Touring Class in order to avoid a repeat of what happened so many times in the multi-class era. Confusing for certain and dumb enough to be dropped for the 2002 Season. I know the BTCC was going through the immediate aftermath of the decline of Super Touring almost running the series into the ground at the time but still, if Alan Gow had never left, I am sure he would have found a better way of handling the transition than Richard West and Octagon Motorsport did.
Just realised, if the Production Class runners had been eligible to win the championship outright (they weren't for the reasons specified in the quoted post), Yvan Muller would never have won a title!

2000 Alan Morrison (264) instead of Alain Menu (195)
2001 Jason Plato (336, Simon Harrison only scored 227)
2002 James Kaye (210) instead of James Thompson (183)
2003 Luke Hines (243) instead of Yvan Muller (233)

The lack of entries in the lower classes compared to the higher classes was usually the main contributing factor in so many Champions coming from the lower classes.

Back