DUNE - The Directors Cut

  • Thread starter Thread starter Red Eye Racer
  • 10 comments
  • 574 views
Messages
3,194
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can you say "endurance movie" :p

This bad-boy classic is three DVD's and 4-1/2 hours long. It's entirely based on the first book of a three book series.

I had never read the book nor seen any previous versions, and I thought it was spectacular.

It had A TON of symbolism related to Jewish culture and it's relevance to Nazi Germany,.. so much so (though I dont know for sure) that I'm certain it was written just after WWII.

It's basically a story based in our human future, that depicts the struggles of an oppressed people on desert planet awaiting the arrival of their "Mesiah". The roots are very religious, but at the same time, it comes off with a very liberal feel.

If you ever have 5 hours to burn, and you enjoy long movies (Sci-Fi),... this is a must see :cheers:

I give it a 10 outta 10 for it's time (80's)....
 
Originally posted by milefile
Is it the one with Sting?



Ummmm.. eeeeeeeehhhh,. eiiiiiiiiiiiii dont know.

I didnt see anyone in it that looked like Sting..... I'll investigate.

It DOES feature William Hurt as Paul's (Muab-ib's) father on the first CD though.

I wouldnt doubt if it is the one withSting though,.. most of the actorss and actresses are "English"....... a few are recognizable as famous less-than-famous actorss.

I specifically remember that Paul's father's 'right-hand-man' was also known as "Hatchet Harry" in the English made movie, 'Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels'
 
Here's the Amazon.com link.....



B0000639EV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
 
great review, i got it for xmas and just havnt found the time to watch it. now illl MAKE time if its that great (first thought it was a boring lengthy starwars ripoff movie)
 
Oh, okay - it's not the Dino de Laurentiis/David Lynch one from the early '80s, which is the one milefile was referring to. I have a three hour version of that (made for TV) on DVD that I picked up really cheaply.
 
the books were in-fricking-credible...I might just get the dvd.

for anyone that hasn't read them, I pity you for missing such a good read
 
The series went on a bit long, though, don't you think? I read it over 10 years ago, forget where I got up to. They'd resurrected Duncan Idaho a couple of times and he was addicted to sex with some significant woman (daughter of Paul or some relative). It all got a bit silly in the end.
 
Originally posted by kirkis9
great review, i got it for xmas and just havnt found the time to watch it. now illl MAKE time if its that great (first thought it was a boring lengthy starwars ripoff movie)

Those were my exact feelings also when I took the first look at it,... boy-o-boy was I wrong.

Too bad to hear the the sequal books werent as great,... there is a movie I saw at best buy called "Children of Dune".... supposedly it's the second and thrid books mashed into a 2 hour flick (Susan Surandon)..... I doubt is even come close to the 4-1/2 hour epic though......
 
From memory the second and third books were pretty good - it got a bit silly in the fouth book,God Emperor of Dune, and I think I gave the series away partway through the fifth book (after they cloned Duncan Idaho again, or was it a fourth time? I forget).

There's a pretty solid summary of the books here - http://www.duneworld.org/books/chronicles/#dune
 
Back