Dungeons and Dragons - Share your adventures and tips for a more fun experience!

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 8 comments

GTvsForza

Premium
United States
The Gem State
GTvsForza
GTvsForza
I just started a session of DnD with friends yesterday and had a great time! However, being fairly new to this, it took me a while to get into character.

Please share your tips and what crazy adventures and battles you entered (intentional or not ;))

RPGs are some of my favourite games to play and run.

I played tabletop for many years before I tired D&D, which was only in recent years, and have enjoyed it since.

I’ve had trouble finding a group this year play a campaign with but I did managed run some games at school for students.

Although I did have some fun with @///M-Spec's small group, a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away, I honestly can't abide D&D - not entirely due to but largely because of the combat system.

The whole "initiative" thing, then everyone has to wait to do stuff sequentially so the last guy might be toast by the time it's his turn to do something and the people on his side with more "initiative" can't do anything to protect him from the people on the other side who have their turn at doing stuff in-between just... annoys me.

As does the incredibly restrictive lore, with all those wrapped up "product identity" items you can't modify in any way, and the rigid class/alignment system. D&D truly is the Apple of FRPGs.

Give me T&T any day of the week. Despite the slightly silly and derivative (I suspect to poke fun) name.

Although the "choose your own adventure" book series based on it can **** off too.

Although I did have some fun with @///M-Spec's small group, a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away, I honestly can't abide D&D - not entirely due to but largely because of the combat system.

The whole "initiative" thing, then everyone has to wait to do stuff sequentially so the last guy might be toast by the time it's his turn to do something and the people on his side with more "initiative" can't do anything to protect him from the people on the other side who have their turn at doing stuff in-between just... annoys me.

As does the incredibly restrictive lore, with all those wrapped up "product identity" items you can't modify in any way, and the rigid class/alignment system. D&D truly is the Apple of FRPGs.

Give me T&T any day of the week. Despite the slightly silly and derivative (I suspect to poke fun) name.

Although the "choose your own adventure" book series based on it can **** off too.
The D&D books are just guidelines. Very few people actually play with all the rules and instructions.

Multiple types of initiative systems are used, and sometimes not at all. It is, for the most part, turn based, but it doesn’t have to be set in stone.

The lore is just backstory to help players ground their game in something. It can be totally ignored.

D&D as a product is now a big corporate monster but there’s so much homebrew available that most people who play D&D are really just playing a dark ages fantasy RPG that is inspired by D&D.

Last edited:
The D&D books are just guidelines. Very few people actually play with all the rules and instructions.
That's because they suck :D

T&T's rules are much more sane, intuitive and flexible, and although some house rules are good (and encouraged), for the most part it's not even necessary. And there's precisely zero lore beyond the general physiology of core races.

My friend who's DM'ing just wrapped up a Star Wars session based in the Knights of the Old Republic era. And he said everyone involved had a blast! (until someone pulled an Among Us :lol:)

T&T's rules are much more sane, intuitive and flexible, and although some house rules are good (and encouraged), for the most part it's not even necessary. And there's precisely zero lore beyond the general physiology of core races.
There are varying amounts of flexibility and depth (or lack of) to almost all genres of RPG.

T&T sounds a lot like 5e HardCore from what you say. It strips all the bells, whistles, fluff and elaboration in favour of fast, fun, deadly gameplay.
Darker Dungeon is, in my opinion, a better D20 RPG but it wouldn’t exist without D&D.
Most of the above owes its existence to D&D.

Most of the above owes its existence to D&D.
Just as D&D owes its existence to Tolkein, Le Guin, Peake, Morris, and Tactics, Little Wars (written by, of all people, HG Wells), and Kriegsspiel.

T&T was born as a response to D&D, not as a development of and based on it but because the rules were confusing, complicated, and sucked; it's specifically intended to be more accessible. It also arrived the next year - technically the second published FRPG - in April 1975, so if D&D 5th Edition HC is similar, it owes its existence to T&T :lol: T&T's creator, Ken St. Andre, described it as being in a LOTR-ish universe if it had been written by Marvel Comics.

I've been playing it since I was six, and D&D off and on since I was 11. T&T is just more fun and the rules are so simple you shouldn't even need the rulebook to hand most of the time.

Back