Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
Durakon's paint-film going on Lucernes
Source:The Flint Journal www.mlive.com
Written by By James M. Miller

MAYFIELD TWP. - Durakon Industries is using its paint-film technology to finish rocker panels for the new Buick Lucerne.

It's the first high-volume production for the company's paint-film, which is a way to apply color to parts without painting.

The color is in sheets of film, and is bonded to plastic parts in a process developed by Durakon. Since it does not use spray paint, the process does not require the environmental controls needed for a painting system

The company has applied the film to parts for the Chevrolet SSR, Saab 9-7 and other vehicles, but the Lucerne is the first high-volume vehicle to use it.

Durakon expects to produce 250,000 rocker panels annually for General Motors, in 12 colors.

The company also produces pickup bed liners, cargo covers and storage boxes.

Its headquarters are in Mayfield Township, near Lapeer.

Blazin's Note: This technology could make cars cheaper and the process of building them more environmentally friendly. I think it's pretty cool and I do remember hearing about this stuff while working at GM. It'll be intresting to see how it works out and if it catches on with other companies.

More information on Durakon can be found at http://www.durakon.com/go.aspx

These films tend to have not-so-long term problems of peeling and discoloration. Ask most people who have the protector films for more than 18 months.

I'm not doubtingt or opposing it, it's just that the technology hasn't been proven to be very reliable.

Well if a major company has chosen to use it I'm going to say that they probably fixed the problems.

Right, as though major auto manufacturers never make engineering mistakes with long-term consequences... :lol: ;)

Back