Dylpro's GT5 Car Reviews! New challenges. Win Prizes!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dylpro
  • 47 comments
  • 11,419 views
Weekly Ten: 2nd Edition!

So it's the second edition of the new Weekly Ten. Let me know how you like these too. The Lamborghini review is complete, and expect a new review sometime this week.

10. Ford GT '06-Dropped won to 10th this week. "Fun and great looking car. Fast and cool. A nice cruiser. Lengthy gear changing in automatic stock though which is how I drive it."

9. Jaguar XKR Coupe '10-Changed my perspective on this car a bit. Still looks fantastic, but it has more of an oversteer than I originally thought.

8. Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Coupe '00-Just got this car to complete my Aston Martin collection. I've honestly fallen in love with it since. It drives great. Expect this car to move up in the coming weeks.

7. Jaguar S-Type R-Stayed the same "A cool little 4 door Jag, a company I've fallen in love with lately. Like a 4 door XKR."

6. Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3-A 7.3 L V12 with 575 HP. Less understeer than the other Zondas and is extremely quick and a blast to drive!

5. RUF CTR2 '96-Went up to 5th this week. Love it. Still using it as a rally car most of the time but have yet to really test it out as a street car. But I've loved them so much I've purchased 6 of them now!

4. Jaguar XJ220 '92-Moved up as well. Still fantastic and I've yet to honestly test the "220" top speed but I'm looking forward to it.

3. Ford RS200 Rally Car '85-Still by far my favourite rally car. Great grip on the snow and dirt and is extremely quick. Well beats tuned WRC while it's stock and decimates them if you put on a stage 3 turbo, but I suggest against that.

2. Jaguar XKR Coupe '99-Still in love with this car. Drives great and has fantastic grip. Looks great in British Racing Green. I've got 8 right now and I'm purchasing any that shows up.

1. Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66-Loving this classic racer. Has a sound that doesn't quite match the Mark IV but is pretty close. I painted mine in a silver and it looks beautiful. It's not as fast as the Mark IV but is still really quick for a '66 race car.

Still quite a few Jags. Still one of my favourite car manufacturers right now.

Coming sometime this week, the Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3 '02. Really liking this car lately. It's a blast to drive!
 
Well, with the new DLC out, I changed my mind and decided to do a Nissan GT-R comparison between the Spec V and the new Black Edition. I'll see if I can't get to the Zonda sometime soon. But now please enjoy! Also both these cars are being reviewed in Stock form on RS tires.

Nissan GT-R

Spec V Vs Black Edition

The Nissan GT-R. It's WELL known in GT5 considering how many there are, and PD has just released yet another, the 2012 Black Edition.

The GT-R has become one of the most love/hate cars in the game. Around most experienced drag racers, it's mostly the hate, but around the more "n00b" drag racers it's the love. Then you've got the people who are upset because of how many there are in GT5, and they only seem to keep on coming. But then there's the PD supporters who are happy with whatever PD gives them, including the now 4 (TC, Stealth, Special, Black Edition) DLC GT-Rs PD has released. For me, I hate the GT-R in drag racing, even though I'm no experienced drag racer, but I honestly love the car itself beyond that. I think it's an awesome car!
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps1.jpg

So we'll begin with the Black Edition. Just released today as purchasable DLC. As far as looks go.... it's pretty much the same as any other GT-R. I always thought the GT-R was a great looking car, although it's quite big. We have a GT-R in my very small city, and to me it's a real head turner. The real difference in the Black Edition is the horsepower. Mine had 552 after a oil change, 50 more than the Spec V! Yet the Black Edition does weigh 50 KG more than the Spec V. The Black Edition is also a level 11 as the Spec V is a level 12. But the Black Edition has 545 PP and the Spec V has 535 when both are purchased brand new. Take that as you wish though. So I wanted to see what that 552 HP could do out on the classic Sarthe (no chicane). And wow did it impress me. I got the Black Edition up to 199 MPH (couldn't get that last pull for the 200!) on the straight. There is a slightly noticeable understeer on the Black Edition but not enough to really effect you. But there's also the launch, which is why it's loved by many drag racers. I had no TCS on and it still had not a hint of wheelspin from the line (on RS tires). It's insane! Honestly, the car is all around, easy to drive, but fun to drive. The hardest thing I actually had with the Black Edition, was the different camera view that now "follows" your car! Since I wasn't used to it so I did mess up a few times before finally getting it right. So I finally finished and got around Sarthe in... 3:56.7. Pretty decent I think.
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps.jpg

The Price of the Black Edition is 94,710. Only about 20,000 more than half of the Spec V, or pretty much 20k more than the '07. But factor in that you have to pay 4.00 REAL dollars, I think it pretty much evens itself out there. Personally I think it's half way worth it. I wish the DLC was price more around 2 dollars because in my opinion the only good car in that DLC pack is the GT-R (whoopie a Mini! :rolleyes:). However the fact it's pretty much a dollar a car I'm not too happy about since when you get down to it there's not too much different between the two.
Drag racing. It's pretty huge in GT5, and no car gets a bigger rep than the GT-R. But it depends on who you ask. Many probably say it's the "ultimate" drag car. Many would also argue it's the ultimate "n00b" car. Although I didn't tune either of these GT-Rs, I believe the Black Edition would have a higher output of HP than the Spec V, since it did to begin with. So maybe there's a new "King of Drag" or "King of Noobs" car out on the drag strip now?
CircuitdelaSarthe2009-1.jpg

So, the Black Edition is a premium car which means you get a small look at the interior of the car. Although you can't see to much I must say that I love the GT-R emblem on the steering wheel. It does look extremely high tech though from what you can see. However, I'd hate to have to sit in those back seats!:scared:
The sound of the Black Edition is actually pretty good. It's no Mark IV or really any of the classic racers for that matter. The sound you hear from the turbo in cockpit is really cool and sounds awesome!! It's really noticeable on the GT-Rs. That faint wind you hear when you downshift. There was a thread on this in the Questions section that first made me aware of the turbo sound.
DRAG RACE
So I originally was going to upload a youtube video of the drag race, but I couldn't figure it out and searched it here on GTP, but didn't find much. So instead here's a picture of the final result. Also things to know when going into the drag race.
-Both Cars are being left the same after their going at Sarthe
-Both are running completely untuned except RS tires.
-Both are running automatic transmission.
-All assists were off except ABS 1.
-I tried lining them up at the 1/4 drag strip, but my TV was all screwed up and I wasn't able to. The drag was from the start line at Indy Road Course to the end of the wall that separates pit row.
RoadCourse-Indy1.jpg

The Start!
RoadCourse-Indy.jpg

The End!

Yep the Spec V won! It wasn't really even that close. Right from the start the Spec V ran away with it. The Black Edition held in at the very start of the launch but from then on it was all Spec V!

NrburgringNordschleife2.jpg

So now we move on to the Spec V '09 after it's win. Which should be pretty easy, since they aren't all that different. Although there are slight differences in looks they both mainly look the same. And I still love it. I bought this one in Vibrant Red, because it's the same color as the GT-R in my town that I sometimes see. I love the GT-R in red, looks really sporty! If I had to point out a slight thing that I like better, it would be the exhaust on the Spec V. Looks pretty cool compared to the more conventional looking exhaust on the Black Edition.
So like I mentioned in the Black edition part, the Spec V has a lower HP output of 502, 50 less than the Black Edition. However, it ways 50 kg less than the Black Edition... which may have been the difference in the drag race. And as I did with the Black Edition, I brought the Spec V out to Sarthe (no chicane) to see how they'd stack up against each other. While the Spec V does weigh less, the Black Edition does beat it out in top speed. By how much? 1 MPH. I got the Spec V up to 198 MPH. Can't get much closer than that! But as far as handling goes, again pretty much the same. Easy but fun to drive. And again there's the launch. The insane launch from the line with no wheelspin same old same old. Although as you saw in the drag race the Spec V seemed to get a slightly better launch. It also seemed to accelerate slightly quicker than the Black Edition. But the 1 MPH may have been the difference in the lap, as the Spec V did Sarthe in.... 3:57.1. Extremely close to the Black Edition though! And of course the most unpredictable variable in a lap is the driver, so it may have been one thing I'd done differently. Still though, pretty quick.
NrburgringNordschleife1.jpg

The price of the Spec V is quite a bit more than the Black Edition (supposing you don't count the 4 dollars you had to pay to get the Black Edition in the first place) at 157,500 cr. Kind of steep if you ask me, but for the "Ultimate" drag car Although considering you win one from getting all gold in S license, and yet another for the current time trial, price may not be an issue! So I'd go with trying to win one of those two before buying a plain old GT-R!;)
So you already saw the Spec V beat out the Black Edition in the drag, although I'm still not so sure how it would end up if both the cars were fully tuned. But as of this current moment, and before the Black Edition was in the game, the Spec V was the dominant car at drag races. Personally I hated going into a room and seeing nothing but Spec Vs, and I still do. I refuse to tune and drag race a Spec V! I enjoy muscle drag racing, although I'm not honestly good! :ouch: I've tried my hand at tuning cars to beat GT-Rs (well really just the ZZII) but to no avail. So I've given up racing GT-Rs, since to me it's just annoying! But no matter what, the Spec V and all GT-Rs will always be considered as one of the best. Whether it's a "n00b" car or not.
NrburgringNordschleife.jpg

As with the Black Edition the Spec V is a premium. And with premiums you get a small look into the interior (I suppose you do with standards too, but they're all black :dopey:). It's really again, THE SAME. Except, if you look at the back seats (still small) they seem to have a slightly different texture to them. Whether that holds you're interest or not though, is not up to me.
The sound of the Spec V, is almost the same as the Black Edition but not quite. I believe the sound on the Black Edition is slightly better, but with the new "Improved Sounds" I've really noticed the turbo wind on this car too! Especially when you're standing idle in chase mode, press L1 and you can really hear it. Pretty damn cool!

So it's time to finally finish this long review. And thanks to anyone who did read this!

GT-R Black Edition 2012
Top Speed: 9/10-Even though I couldn't get up one more to 200MPH still 199 is phenomenal!
Handling: 9/10-Great! A slightly noticeable understeer but shouldn't effect your driving to extremely
Looks: 8/10-Although it's become extremely over used in GT5 in drag racing, not to mention PDs 5 or so variants, I still love the looks.
Price: 7/10-You get so much for the 94k price tag but you still have to pay 4 dollars to get it in the first place.
Rarity: 2/10-I'll give it a two since it's DLC
Horsepower: 9/10-50 more than the Spec V all from a V6!
Drag: 9/10-Slightly slower than a Spec V while stock, but imagine it tuned.
Overall: 94/100-Wonderful car. I love the GT-R and even though there are many in the game I don't think they'll get old for me.

GT-R Spec V 2009
Top Speed: 8/10-Right under the Black Edition at 198MPH Still great!
Handling: 9/10-Pretty much the same as the Black Edition. Fantastic.
Looks: 9/10-Although there aren't many differences between the two physically, but I think it looks slightly better than the Black Edition
Price: 8/10-The price is more than the Black Edition but because you don't pay real money for it I think you can see how it's a boost up.
Rarity: .5/10-So so so overused that it's just disappointing.
Horsepower: 8/10-502 still great from a V6 just not toe to toe with the Black Edition.
Drag: 10/10-Even though it may be considered a "n00b" car it's still one of the best drag cars.
Overall: 96/100-All around a great car. Both are! But the Spec V wins.

So why did the Spec V win? Because the Black Edition is cool now but give it a month or two and it will be just as normal as the Spec V. It's a novelty. Eventually it wears off and just becomes another GTR in the game. Which makes me sad, but it's true. All around though, great, great cars.

I know this was a long one and thanks to anyone who actually read it all, but I hope you enjoyed it, even if you didn't completely read all of it.
 
It's hardly fair to test stock street cars on rs tires. And how did you do the drag? With two different drivers? That could seriously alter the results. And being in manual and choosing when to shift could be huge. The 2012 is one of the fastest stock drag cars in production right now. It's got a 0-60 at 2.9 seconds and an 11.1 in the 1/4 mile. It should have dusted the older spec v. I'll be truly disappointed if the 2012 in stock form stillcamt hang with the likes of the zr1 and 458.
 
Is it my imagination or is the transmission not quite right on this new black edition?

The other GT-Rs have a true twin clutch modeled in the game with nearly instant gear changes and creep forward from a stop. The new GT-R from this DLC seems to behave like a traditional manual (I.e. no creep, slight pause between gears, kicks to neutral when stopped, etc...).

This more than likely explains why the Spec V beat the Black in the drag race. Theres a huge pause between gears 1 and 2 in the Black, whereas the Spec V has a nearly instant change.

Really hoping that PD fixes this.
 
dtn23
It's hardly fair to test stock street cars on rs tires. And how did you do the drag? With two different drivers? That could seriously alter the results. And being in manual and choosing when to shift could be huge. The 2012 is one of the fastest stock drag cars in production right now. It's got a 0-60 at 2.9 seconds and an 11.1 in the 1/4 mile. It should have dusted the older spec v. I'll be truly disappointed if the 2012 in stock form stillcamt hang with the likes of the zr1 and 458.

You don't like it don't read it and don't try correcting my methods. First, my friend ran the Spec V in the drag and I ran the Black Edition and I lost 3 times in a row. Second, we ran automatic to have the cars have their own reaction times. It was a stock drag, nothing tuned except tires. The reason I change the tires? Because many people run RS tires no matter what, I always drive with RS, so if someone else doesn't good for them, but I do.
 
"As with the Black Edition the Spec V is a premium. And with premiums you get a small look into the interior (I suppose you do with standards too, but they're all black ). It's really again, THE SAME. Except, if you look at the back seats (still small) they seem to have a slightly different texture to them. Whether that holds you're interest or not though, is not up to me"

Dude its not at all a difference in texture on the seats in the Spec V. IT HAS NO REAR SEATS. Its a 2 seater.
 
I would imagine tuned up the new Black Edition should be very close to the very best street cars in the game, if not the best.

All down to weight and it's ability to handle. IRL the 2012 GT-Rs made the car much less understeery, and I'm pretty sure that they now outhandle and outpace even the spec V, but I also hear right now in GT5 the transmission has been mismodeled...
 
xSNAKEx
"As with the Black Edition the Spec V is a premium. And with premiums you get a small look into the interior (I suppose you do with standards too, but they're all black ). It's really again, THE SAME. Except, if you look at the back seats (still small) they seem to have a slightly different texture to them. Whether that holds you're interest or not though, is not up to me"

Dude its not at all a difference in texture on the seats in the Spec V. IT HAS NO REAR SEATS. Its a 2 seater.

Pretty sure I saw back seats there. Take a look for yourself. Sure looks like seats, if they aren't I'll change it.
 
Nice read!
Kind of suprised the Spec V won the drag.
 
too bad GT5 doesnt have launch control option.
 
Great Reviews :)

too bad GT5 doesnt have launch control option.

And from I remember Yes it does, Easier with A wheel but Hold on the e/hand brake and put your foot down to about 3/4 of the the way, hold that position with your foot, now let go of the e/hand brake, your car should just sit there with the revs up.
Then put your foot all the way down on the accelerator and woosh your off! 👍
 
Your reviews are interesting and fun to read. I do however question the validity of testing handling on rs tires. You can give a shopping cart the handling of an F1 car with nothing but rs tires...
 
Is it my imagination or is the transmission not quite right on this new black edition?

The other GT-Rs have a true twin clutch modeled in the game with nearly instant gear changes and creep forward from a stop. The new GT-R from this DLC seems to behave like a traditional manual (I.e. no creep, slight pause between gears, kicks to neutral when stopped, etc...).

This more than likely explains why the Spec V beat the Black in the drag race. Theres a huge pause between gears 1 and 2 in the Black, whereas the Spec V has a nearly instant change.

Really hoping that PD fixes this.


you are absolutly right , I just purchased the DLC (EU store 👎) and am really confused with the new 12 Black edition GTR !! The pauses between shifts are noticeable and annoying actually unlike the old GTRs in the game they were smooth and even have faster shifts specially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd !
 
I suppose the answer is to get the two plate clutch upgrade to have a "stock" car.

And thanks for the reviews. 👍
 
HJLamont
Your reviews are interesting and fun to read. I do however question the validity of testing handling on rs tires. You can give a shopping cart the handling of an F1 car with nothing but rs tires...

You're right. RS tires are pretty much the first thing I buy and I just use them for pretty much that reason alone. I never use anything but RS
 
Thread's dead.
 
Last edited:
"As with the Black Edition the Spec V is a premium. And with premiums you get a small look into the interior (I suppose you do with standards too, but they're all black ). It's really again, THE SAME. Except, if you look at the back seats (still small) they seem to have a slightly different texture to them. Whether that holds you're interest or not though, is not up to me"

Dude its not at all a difference in texture on the seats in the Spec V. IT HAS NO REAR SEATS. Its a 2 seater.

No R35 Gt-Rs are 2 seaters. They are all 2+2 coupes. I know Gt-Rs well enough to tell you that.
 
I think it's pretty obvious that the super concepts are going to run the show..
 
Back