Early game progression = Forza-fied?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jamiemb17
I don't know if they did this just to make sure they got their 9/10 scores from Forza-addicted casual journalists. But the early-game progression (I'm up to Menu Book 23 now) is completely linear and holds your hand. I haven't had to make a single purchasing decision other than the starter car. Gift cars just thrown at you, and each set of gift cars is specifically given to be usable in the following championship. It just feels, as I said, linear, and boring and gimmicky. Not that I want it to be grindy, but it just feels like Forza where I'm being assaulted with cars and as a result they do not feel like "my" cars.

I don't know if they did this just to make sure they got their 9/10 scores from Forza-addicted casual journalists. But the early-game progression (I'm up to Menu Book 23 now) is completely linear and holds your hand. I haven't had to make a single purchasing decision other than the starter car. Gift cars just thrown at you, and each set of gift cars is specifically given to be usable in the following championship. It just feels, as I said, linear, and boring and gimmicky. Not that I want it to be grindy, but it just feels like Forza where I'm being assaulted with cars and as a result they do not feel like "my" cars.
You can simply discard all those gift cars for zero credits if you’d prefer to grind.

Last edited:
This is hilarious as there were people complaining on the Forza threads that their progression isn't GT-like enough. It doesn't hurt to have a clear objective in gameplay and you can ignore the menu if you want.

This is hilarious as there were people complaining on the Forza threads that their progression isn't GT-like enough. It doesn't hurt to have a clear objective in gameplay and you can ignore the menu if you want.
Except you can’t really ignore the menu as it’s needed to unlock most of the game features.

Yeah, Forza people complain that they get cars thrown at them for no reason, and they want it more like GT where you make your own purchasing decisions for each race series. So they come on GT7 now and find that it isn't even like that anymore. And the menu book is literally the core single player campaign. I've just finished it and it triggers the end credits and then leaves you to do what you want. So now I already have Gr.3 cars, the X2014 Competition, Ferraris and Corvettes, and I haven't had to buy a single car since the first one, and I've basically finished the game.

But anyway, I guess it's not that important in the long-term, when we will all have to grind to get cars we want. (Or pay.)

I don't know if they did this just to make sure they got their 9/10 scores from Forza-addicted casual journalists.
....but then again, high praise is also coming from popular, dedicated, sim-racing / GT sources as well.
But the early-game progression (I'm up to Menu Book 23 now) is completely linear and holds your hand. I haven't had to make a single purchasing decision other than the starter car. Gift cars just thrown at you, and each set of gift cars is specifically given to be usable in the following championship. It just feels, as I said, linear, and boring and gimmicky. Not that I want it to be grindy, but it just feels like Forza where I'm being assaulted with cars and as a result they do not feel like "my" cars.
I don't feel that way at all. ....and there are also other non-menu related races that are being unlocked along the way that you can participate in.

In either case, just because you obtain prize cars that can be used in a another race doesn't necessarily mean you can just run with that car and win in future Menu related races. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Tuning Shop getting my cars ready for the next race and as new cars are unlocked, I will sometimes switch to one that is a better base and spend time / money tuning that one as well.

The experience isn't as shallow as you make it out to be and there are new races that get unlocked which may require you to buy a car if you want to enter.

No, I don't think the game is "Forza-fied" and I'll wager I'll be spending a ton of money soon enough buying the cars I really want to use in a lot of these races, online, etc.

I'm mostly disappointed that there's nothing after finishing the menu books, which I assumed were the "early game." And there's no purpose to the IB/IA/Super licenses other than saying you have them? I expected a bunch of high-end race series to unlock after Book 39 but... it's just the end? Feels like half of a finished GT game.

Last edited:
It's nowhere near the level of Forza when it comes to chucking cars at you, assuming we're referencing the Horizon series. Plus the cash flows with little issue there.

Forza Motorsport 7 was a little tougher, tougher to earn money on as well. Although you did get a pretty handy garage full of cars if you'd played previous Forza titles.

I think it's a good balance, considering there's no traditional arcade mode in this game (where historically the game has a decent selection of cars to just choose from and drive) and there is good reason for it to give you fairly regular prize cars.

Back