Easier to drift on stock suspension?

• Thread starter Subaru_AWD
  • 12 comments
I have been playing around with a lot of cars on Suzuka east course and I find it easier to drift on stock suspension and have been using comfort hard tires for all the cars just to make it even.

With TOM's Chaser being the best so far.

It's not a matter of what is easier to drift on, more a case of what you like. The JZX100 has good stock suspension but if you want to make it feel better than you should still get fully customizable springs. I suggest looking at the suspension settings for the stock layout on a car and then putting that tune into a fully customizable set. From here you can then fine tune to what feels best

Subaru_AWD
I think the fact that it is TOM's Chaser as opposed to a simple Toyota Chaser, is why the suspension is so good stock..like a Nismo 350z as opposed to a Nissan 350z

Depends on cars and preferences, sure tuner branded cars will have better stock suspension like an Amuse S2000 compared to a normal S2000.

Also your tuning preferences come into play as well, all about variety and how you want your car to respond to your inputs.

I have been playing around with a lot of cars on Suzuka east course and I find it easier to drift on stock suspension and have been using comfort hard tires for all the cars just to make it even.

maybe if your on a DS3(control)... being able to adjust toe and camber angles is a must in my opinion.

I don't know about easier, but it sure as hell is fun drifting a stock suspension sedan or wagon with high horsepower.

I think that not all the drifters are the same, some of the drifters in the gt5 world have different drift styles just like the cars they are all different !

With most suspensions, optimizing traction means higher spring rates, dampener settings, roll bars, etc, tighter gears, more power, etc. All of these do two things:

1. Reduce the amount of time between extremes in handling (the car changes direction faster, both laterally and in roll rates)
2. narrow the range of tire traction (the wider the contact path during grip, a higher % of grip is lost when the tires start to spin, and the % is lost faster than when the overall grip is reduced) this is one reason why comfort hard tires are good to drift on, they are predictable in the way they lose traction, and do not require as fast of reflexes to manage. Even some cars with the right power and suspension simply require insane reflexes or lots of muscle-memory practice to properly do some advanced techniques.

#2 is extremely common reason why slower or stock cars drift 'easier'. Take a stock suspension miata and notice how, as the car starts to slide, it will catch itself as the suspension compresses and widens the contact patch. But with higher spring rates and more optimized handling, instead of getting noticable, slowly-increasing traction, you get only a little bit of 'forgiveness'.

That doesnt mean... anything... to anyone...! why?

I'd imagine he's recommending the Shelby Cobra as an easy car to drift stock, misreading the title as "Easiest car to drift on stock suspension"

I'd imagine he's recommending the Shelby Cobra as an easy car to drift stock, misreading the title as "Easiest car to drift on stock suspension"

yeah fair enough:) just the first time i read it it was like all this stuff about stock suspention and then "Shelby cobra":confused:

Back