Easy $20 DIY button box with mount

• Thread starter Spitfire77
  • 4 comments
United States
CENLA
SoCaLLbeer
So I know it is common to use keyboards and numpads as a button box, this idea is not new and I found the specific keypad on gtplanet from another user. Anyways.. just figured I would show how easy and cheap it can be even with a mount. No tools required, except scissors.

These are the items you need:
1. USB Numeric Keypad - I chose this one because it has 2 usb ports and I can connect my headphone dongle and a cable for charging.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAYDVB0/?tag=gtplanet-20

2. A mount - this one is solid and cheap and works perfect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7GND9M/?tag=gtplanet-20

Extra items:
1. Printer
2. Printing labels - (I used avery 8195)
3. google 'sim racing button labels' and select images

Edit - Basically all you are doing is getting labels you can print on that are slightly larger than the buttons on the numpad. Use the template that is provided (avery has a website that makes this easy to find) and cut / past the images of the buttons onto the template, print them out, cut them out and stick them on.

I use mine on PS4 and it is just plug and play as I have no other keyboards connected.

If you are on PC, you will have to find some software that can use multiple keyboards and make them different inputs, or possibly it would work if you only have a basic compact keybaord connected that does not have a numpad.

Sorry for poor picture quality, my stickers are not that well done, and the velcro is so I don't loose my USB dongle.

xw5TM4g7Q_tZnHiWvjdTsCGB_XvDZDZsuqVn87MqtShvpWD9xr8vQtNmNRGnI4nTbGPFOx-Ui41LaGHl8wmUhEAuPXD_hlyKdXYrirAMx-iV82EVKqSSTo9pjyNVaEdgsA6dTpo9Dk4mbovArwV8vlBuwaKM8UpxPEpXKerCATVFFNh26PpIjRHHHTmhlQkR0X8uSSVO__CnxAfgw_MSsw6g_sktCTKGgYvLGX-08wF6352EgqDUN1dTJrpt4ohInJsfu32FFn2dpVXnoV0p1EDsqNhFqVyv46wJMA72LDmMdQEzOmQ7RpPbZP3VFsu3BNcdIKK0JLkqDYMsEFkYQr194vHzmpOOjg5ZxszKLlR6Itg-0Ss5x3kLPJMPOWVkq7pnbuYzcThVmNRZwyojJUEfK6QqQfPcUbDuLAV4RfHB1iRwlS1T-neIJ0WRPj6gbtxZEWjn3v6Ne3V8GsCSf7BdMf73oDA_wzhM4AdK3q2XVVkZBqLEIr5ntvgz5_IXCVAKhun-yBXb8ttPp8XBu4ib3PecM_Pt20pxI1aJcUHtyivqdwcU3yaPTis0dCCjhUwmECFEfbuXGtloZIudcPFjVE0emYBARaNiGNTM=w697-h400-no

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_100054.jpg
    IMG_20180303_100054.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_20180303_100112.jpg
    IMG_20180303_100112.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
what glue did you use tostick on the pad and do you know if this will work on consoles?

No glue - everything seems to be sticking well. The button labels are made with Avery Shipping labels. I cut and paste the button images on the the avery label Word template, print them out, cut them to size, and stuck them on.

If you were asking about how the keypad is staying on - the mount that I use is a cell phone clamp and it holds the keypad pretty well, since it does not take much force to press the buttons it holds just fine.

I use this on PS4 so yes it works on the ps4 console. The thing is the game must also support it, and the only ones I know that do are pCARS 1 & 2.

No glue - everything seems to be sticking well. The button labels are made with Avery Shipping labels. I cut and paste the button images on the the avery label Word template, print them out, cut them to size, and stuck them on.

If you were asking about how the keypad is staying on - the mount that I use is a cell phone clamp and it holds the keypad pretty well, since it does not take much force to press the buttons it holds just fine.

I use this on PS4 so yes it works on the ps4 console. The thing is the game must also support it, and the only ones I know that do are pCARS 1 & 2.
Great little mod, doyou happen to have a Video of it in use, maybe when you get time you can create a a little youtube how to, ill deff look into this, I had no idea this could be done, have you tryed in on other games? mainly GT Sport and Assetto Coursa, I have both those games too.

Great little mod, doyou happen to have a Video of it in use, maybe when you get time you can create a a little youtube how to, ill deff look into this, I had no idea this could be done, have you tryed in on other games? mainly GT Sport and Assetto Coursa, I have both those games too.

I am not likely going to make a video of it. It is plug and play with the ps4 and pCARS 2 . No it will not work with GTS or Assetto Corsa, they do not have keyboard support. It maybe added for GTS but I highly doubt that and Asetto Corsa development on consoles is complete.

You can test how this works by connecting any keyboard to your ps4 (bluetooth or usb) then go into pCARS and map the keys as desired.

You can look up how to print labels online. They are not really needed though you can just memorize which keys you map.

The cell phone clamp is pretty self explanatory.

Back