Easy Songs For A beginnerMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter TDUFreak
  • 26 comments
  • 1,717 views
Messages
56
ok, So one of my bands guitarists have left and weve replaced him, the only problem is that his replacement isnt anywhere near as experienced!
We want to get up and gigging again asap but we cant think of any easy songs for him to learn.
Our lead Guitarist that left was leagues ahead of us in terms of playing, so were about the same as his replacement lol.
In short, any easy song sugestions?
 
What's your genre?
How old is your usual audience?
If you're talking about people under 25, you'll have to figure that out on your own,

If you are doing oldies, there are plenty of videos for a lot of that stuff that aren't hard to learn or learn from.
 
Smoke On The Water
YES...........THAT.


Also, see Iron Man, You Shook Me All Night Long (I hate that one but it's easy to play), Adam's Song, Horse with no name, Come as you are, Zombie by The Cranberries, Wonderwall by Oasis, Seven Nation Army...

I really don't know what genre of rock you guys are planning to play...but old school rock helps a hell lot! Even if you're into Punk rock..
 
I'd recommend Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, Breaking the Law by Judas Priest, Money by Pink Floyd, No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age, Juicebox by The Strokes, You Really Got Me by Van Halen, and My Generation by The Who as some pretty good songs to start with. By the time you master all of those, you'll be familiar enough with the instrument to begin moving on to more complex songs.
 
Have him learn all major and minor chords. Some he will find easier at first to fret and work out with his fingers, some not so much. Then find a song that uses those chords and have him play up to speed. He'll be banging it all in no time. I had the hardest time learning open C when I first played, so I promptly found a song (The Drugs Don't Work) that used C and learned it. After a little while I had it on lock, then I moved on to another chord, then another and then another.
 
Smoke On The Water

That has to be the song that everyone learns first.

I'd check some lists from The Doors, The Who, Zepplin, Poison, Green Day, Nirvana, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc.

Look for easy songs that have easily recognizable riffs. If he can play those as a start, he may be able to play anything.

...This coming from a guy who plays Guitar Hero, has no plans to learn guitar, but wants to learn the Harmonica...
 
In general, beginners should not be gigging.
 
I'd recommend Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, Breaking the Law by Judas Priest, Money by Pink Floyd, No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age, Juicebox by The Strokes, You Really Got Me by Van Halen, and My Generation by The Who as some pretty good songs to start with. By the time you master all of those, you'll be familiar enough with the instrument to begin moving on to more complex songs.

I'm sorry for off-topic but I found it funny you mentioned No One Knows because for Guitar Hero it's one of the hardest songs to play. :p
 
It's true, though. Heck, I've been playing for 4 years, and I don't think I'm good enough to be in a band as a guitarist. I'd happily play bass, though :D.
 
Get a new guitar player. Seriously - you don't want someone who you have to teach everything to. Get someone good, who can actually help the band progress.
 
I'm surprised no one mentioned Stairway to Heaven....Nearly every guitarist at my old high school played that as one of their first songs.

But if you want to learn to play like a pro, have Herman Li & Sam Totman teach him. :D



He can try this, too. Helped a few guys I know.
 
Dammit. Easy. Cool.

Also: Come as You Are, Brain Stew, Smoke On The Water, (as previously mentioned) I Wanna Be Sedated, Sorrow (By Bad Religion), and Thunderkiss 65 is pretty easy. (the rythem at least)

There are many others as well. Just keep an eye out.
 
Emm, What we knew:
Sunshine OPf your love
You realy got me
Its a long way to the top
Thunderkiss 65
Mollys Lips
Smells like teen spirit

And some of our own stuff but thats not a problem.

and as for Herman li And Sam Totman....IVE TRIED! There like shred gods among men!
I got a video lesson on how to shred strum, its hard! i must have spent about a month at it!!
 
and as for Herman li And Sam Totman....IVE TRIED! There like shred gods among men!
I got a video lesson on how to shred strum, its hard! i must have spent about a month at it!!


They're actually pretty sloppy from what I've heard...

Shred strum? Do you mean sweeping arpeggios?
 
Yea, but that dosent mean there good

I think thats what i mean, I forget!
 
Oh, well of course they both have some serious chops, but I'd expect a more refined shred style from a supposed "god." :crazy:

Most likely! Just remember, above all else, take it slow! Don't worry about adding hammer-ons and pull-offs to your arps yet and make sure you practice your picking hand speed, it's probably the hardest part of sweep picking!

But your video could instruct much better than I ever could. :ouch:
 
Here's one that seems easy, I dont know, I dont play i just listen.





once you get good, you should play this.
 
They're actually pretty sloppy from what I've heard...

I saw them live, they had everything under control. I was surprised.

Although this is about as far away from the original topic as you can get.
 
I saw them live, they had everything under control. I was surprised.

Although this is about as far away from the original topic as you can get.

When they clean up and get their act together, they're fine. But a lot of their live performances on YouTube are awful. 👎
 
Fear Factory musics are easy to play. I’m not very experienced and I can play them well. Although (I think) that they’re music is played in a drop C or C# (I don’t know for certain) they can be played in a drop D tuning, being more easy.

One music I also found easy to play is Part of me from the TOOL. Hope it helps. 👍
 
Songs you should learn are:

Scarified-Paul Gilbert (his version is better to me,than Racer X's)
The Glass Prison-Dream Theater
and Universal Mind- Liquid Tension Experiment.

Haha, just kidding, go for the classic rock songs. Do some Hendrix, to me there is a lot of improv room in some of his songs, but if you are a purist, meh. I built myself from Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, then to Maiden and Metallica, now I'm really really into Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and anything that John Petrucci Does (Dream Theater, LTD, and his own solo records). Just build yourself up, just take it slow, and just listen to what you like and not what your friends think that is cool but not to you.

And don't get sucked into the Dargonforce thing, just because they can play fast in recordings, doesnt mean they can do it live. I respect them, just not as much when they play live ;).
 
I'm sorry for off-topic but I found it funny you mentioned No One Knows because for Guitar Hero it's one of the hardest songs to play. :p

Weird. Well, on guitar, the song's pretty easy. Just a whole lot of repetition, really.

(Plus, when you mess up, no one really notices.)
 
true, it is a lot of repetition. But i think overall, we'll just get a new guitarist.
Now, how to let him down easy.........hmmmmmm....
 
true, it is a lot of repetition. But i think overall, we'll just get a new guitarist.
Now, how to let him down easy.........hmmmmmm....

Don't. Tell him he needs more practice and that you're looking for someone more experienced...he'll understand.
 
Back