Economy Racing - Where fast is last!

  • Thread starter Thread starter witham
  • 18 comments
  • 1,449 views
Messages
1,113
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
To give a bit of background my DR rating is B and my SR is S. I usually get matched with DR ratings of A and even occasionally S, despite having a wheel I am not the quickest of qualifiers and usually find myself in the back half of the grid. My usual approach would be to try to get a good start while avoiding crashes to claw my way up the grid.

But I decided the other day to try something new, after being rammed past the finish line and as a result running out of fuel a lap from the end. What I now do is race clean but hard for 1.5 laps maximum, then I conserve fuel and tires for the rest of the race, as despite not being an overly quick qualifier years of F1 games has made me really consistent at driving at 95% meaning my race pace is actually pretty good even when conserving fuel.

So far my results are:

Qualifying 12th -> Race 4th
Qualifying 14th -> Race 3rd
Qualifying 15th -> Race 4th
Qualifying 17th -> Race 2nd! Last night at Brazil, has to be my best race so far. There were no real crashes and I only lost the win on the last lap!
Qualifying 14th -> Race 3rd

So what I am interested to hear is, is anyone else trying this or do you fancy trying this in the name of science to see if you can improve your results. So far I have only come across one other person who I have seen do it in two different races in which he went from near the back to podium both times.

As a word of warning if you fancy giving it a go, you need to be smooth, keep off the kerbs, good with low grip tires as you will be ice skating at the end and accept that racing economy can be boring sometimes :(

So far the circuits I know this is possible on are:

Suzuka, GR3
Brazil, GR3
Brandshatch, GR3 (I think, can't remember exactly!)

If anyone else has done this on previous tracks it would be cool to know as I am not sure it would always be possible while still being competitive :)
 
Apart from the wheel, your first paragraph describes me exactly. I have kind of half-heartedly attempted your strategy with a little success. I will fully commit to it at the next opportunity and let you know how it goes.
 
Brazil and brands hatch worked for me aswell. Suzuka not so much, but it depends on the fuel usage and tyre wear rate. Brazil yesterday, won 6 of the 7 races, one race 3th, where i was one time from pole and the rest 3th 4th or 5th. And most races won with a lead of 10 seconds, DR S SR S. but not everyone seems to manage.
 
I had some great races at interlagos despite it not being a go to track for me. Two races I coasted the last 50 meters over the line with zero fuel, which is perfect.
One race I dropped off the back of two cars that seemed to be going to fast, I passed them both on the last straight as they had run out of fuel.

I try to use slipstream short shifting and coasting more so than fuel map, unless the cars ahead are so slow I can use fuel map and stay in the slipstream. If I'm not calculated to finish with 3 laps remaining I will use fuel map as well as short shifting and coasting. I aim to have enough fuel to go to map 1 for the last lap.
 
I was doing that at Brazil in Group 3 in the BMW M3 last night. I got a couple of wins and even good finishes after incidents losing up to 20 secs in a race.

I'm not sure about other cars but the M3 lets me run at mix 2 for 9 laps and mix 1 for 1 lap so I don't even have to sacrifice too much power - tyres seemed to hold on OK. I also did this at one of the other tracks on the 10 lap races in the past, Lake Maggiore I think. I try to get a clean start and avoid trouble in the first couple of laps so I don't lose time on my race, I often don't defend vigorously as I know that I am likely to get places back as they pit.
 
Apart from the wheel, your first paragraph describes me exactly. I have kind of half-heartedly attempted your strategy with a little success. I will fully commit to it at the next opportunity and let you know how it goes.

Awesome it will be great to hear how you get on. I find that racing like this can make me competitive with far better drivers than myself, so it will be interesting to hear how you get on :)

Brazil and brands hatch worked for me aswell. Suzuka not so much, but it depends on the fuel usage and tyre wear rate. Brazil yesterday, won 6 of the 7 races, one race 3th, where i was one time from pole and the rest 3th 4th or 5th. And most races won with a lead of 10 seconds, DR S SR S. but not everyone seems to manage.

Wow that's pretty impressive, maybe it is unfair for the rest of us when someone fast decides to use this method though? ;) Only joking of course, it takes a lot of skill to win by that margin especially considering the state of your tires at the end of the race!

I had some great races at interlagos despite it not being a go to track for me. Two races I coasted the last 50 meters over the line with zero fuel, which is perfect.
One race I dropped off the back of two cars that seemed to be going to fast, I passed them both on the last straight as they had run out of fuel.

I try to use slipstream short shifting and coasting more so than fuel map, unless the cars ahead are so slow I can use fuel map and stay in the slipstream. If I'm not calculated to finish with 3 laps remaining I will use fuel map as well as short shifting and coasting. I aim to have enough fuel to go to map 1 for the last lap.


I have had that once, it is a brilliant feeling catching someone who has run out of fuel. I have to admit though I usually cross the line with too much fuel in reserve as I worry about running out :banghead:

Haven't really pushed the short shifting so might have to try it more, I find lifting and coasting works really well though. I usually run in fuel maps 3-4 to save enough fuel to finish without refuelling and then like you save some for the last lap :cheers::)
 
To give a bit of background my DR rating is B and my SR is S. I usually get matched with DR ratings of A and even occasionally S, despite having a wheel I am not the quickest of qualifiers and usually find myself in the back half of the grid. My usual approach would be to try to get a good start while avoiding crashes to claw my way up the grid.

But I decided the other day to try something new, after being rammed past the finish line and as a result running out of fuel a lap from the end. What I now do is race clean but hard for 1.5 laps maximum, then I conserve fuel and tires for the rest of the race, as despite not being an overly quick qualifier years of F1 games has made me really consistent at driving at 95% meaning my race pace is actually pretty good even when conserving fuel.

So far my results are:

Qualifying 12th -> Race 4th
Qualifying 14th -> Race 3rd
Qualifying 15th -> Race 4th
Qualifying 17th -> Race 2nd! Last night at Brazil, has to be my best race so far. There were no real crashes and I only lost the win on the last lap!
Qualifying 14th -> Race 3rd

So what I am interested to hear is, is anyone else trying this or do you fancy trying this in the name of science to see if you can improve your results. So far I have only come across one other person who I have seen do it in two different races in which he went from near the back to podium both times.

As a word of warning if you fancy giving it a go, you need to be smooth, keep off the kerbs, good with low grip tires as you will be ice skating at the end and accept that racing economy can be boring sometimes :(

So far the circuits I know this is possible on are:

Suzuka, GR3
Brazil, GR3
Brandshatch, GR3 (I think, can't remember exactly!)

If anyone else has done this on previous tracks it would be cool to know as I am not sure it would always be possible while still being competitive :)

I participated in numerous Sport races when I first got a G29 wheel last month just to get some experience and to observe how the race flows. I noticed that most of the top half of the grid invariably pit in around lap 5 or 6 for fresh tires and fuel. I also noticed that since I was happily sitting in last place I kept picking up positions as the faster drivers tend to make mistakes or drive off course as they have shredded their tires early on. Being cautious I kept my fuel mix at 4 or 5 and kept finishing with over 3 laps of fuel left and somewhere near the top 10 places. Yesterday at Interlagos I tried one race using the GTR and starting with fuel mixture at 2 and kept short shifting and coasting. Turned up the fuel mixture to 1 at the half way point. I tried my best to get a "clean race" but accidentally bumped another car..... nuts! I started 18th but still finished 3rd but with some anxious moments as my tires have gone off. In my second race, I did the same but with a Mercedes starting at 19th (I think) and I finished 3rd again. The hardest part of this particular race strategy is being highly disciplined to not get aggressive and contest every corner. Saving fuel isn't as difficult as preserving the tires so that you can still be competitive in the last 3 laps.
 
I participated in numerous Sport races when I first got a G29 wheel last month just to get some experience and to observe how the race flows. I noticed that most of the top half of the grid invariably pit in around lap 5 or 6 for fresh tires and fuel. I also noticed that since I was happily sitting in last place I kept picking up positions as the faster drivers tend to make mistakes or drive off course as they have shredded their tires early on. Being cautious I kept my fuel mix at 4 or 5 and kept finishing with over 3 laps of fuel left and somewhere near the top 10 places. Yesterday at Interlagos I tried one race using the GTR and starting with fuel mixture at 2 and kept short shifting and coasting. Turned up the fuel mixture to 1 at the half way point. I tried my best to get a "clean race" but accidentally bumped another car..... nuts! I started 18th but still finished 3rd but with some anxious moments as my tires have gone off. In my second race, I did the same but with a Mercedes starting at 19th (I think) and I finished 3rd again. The hardest part of this particular race strategy is being highly disciplined to not get aggressive and contest every corner. Saving fuel isn't as difficult as preserving the tires so that you can still be competitive in the last 3 laps.

That is an oddly similar story, I only got my G29 the other month but already love it (especially for the price I paid!). You are right there was a couple of times yesterday were it was more like ice skating that driving, the lack of grip at the back can make the Porsche drifty but when the fronts go it makes turning in a nightmare!

I found though, doing this has made me a better driver. I am far less aggressive now and find if I revert back to the old 1 stop race method I have much more fun and I am involved in fewer incidents :)
 
Ok interesting, when i did Interlagos Gr.3 in Sportmode 1 or 2 Weeks ago the Winners or Top 3-4 did always pit in Lap 5 of 10. Not sure if the Settings are still the same as 2 weeks ago?
I found that all not pitting players let you overtake without any Defense when they can see, you clearly are a lot faster coming from behind.
It is pure Satisfaction to overtake all the Cars after a Pitstop from normally position 12 -17 back to top 5.
However i did never win but had several 2nd Places behind a SS Driver in the Porsche. I used my Ford Mustang. The Porsche was 1 sec faster per Lap. No way to catch him. He had the best Top 10 Qualy time that day. One Race he had a Accident i belive, since he caught me from behind all of a sudden. I didnt expect that. But as always he was very unpatient and couldnt wait to overtake me after the Corner and had to bump me. As if he hadnt won it anyway with no Problem by staying fair and clean...
 
I commend your discipline...
Firstly because I avoid Interlogos due to past experience and continued reports of mayhem.
Secondly because I cannot commit to the "long" game... I know math says slow (fuel/tire conservation) is fast (completed race time) I just cannot commit.
I do understand fuel mapping strategy in 12hrs and 24hrs races... but in sprints (F1 for example) it drives me crazy.
A few years back, and I forget the race, Ferrari (with my man Alonso) said screw it to tire/fuel conservation and ran like a scalled cat... pitted more than the competitors and ended up with a win (back when they were typically fighting for 4th on back...)
I was sure this was the changing point for F1... run hard from start to finish...
Unfortunately, the very next race was another parade of fuel and tire management with follow the leader pit stops.

I understand it is the way to win, but, I still don't like it.
I especially don't like it in a 25minuit race... GT3 cars have a 26.4gal tank... and get approx. 8mpg's in racing conditions... that's 208miles... we are doing less than 40miles and being forced to consider pitting. On top of that the tires are usually good for 300+ miles...
Give us a 2 or 4 hour race with near-real world tire/fuel rates and lets be real.
/rant off.
Again, I commend your discipline...
 
Last edited:
I commend your discipline...
Firstly because I avoid Interlogos due to past experience and continued reports of mayhem.
Secondly because I cannot commit to the "long" game... I know math says slow (fuel/tire conservation) is fast (completed race time) I just cannot commit.
I do understand fuel mapping strategy in 12hrs and 24hrs races... but in sprints (F1 for example) it drives me crazy.
A few years back, and I forget the race, Ferrari (with my man Alonso) said screw it to tire/fuel conservation and ran like a scalled cat... pitted more than the competitors and ended up with a win (back when they were typically fighting for 4th on back...)
I was sure this was the changing point for F1... run hard from start to finish...
Unfortunately, the very next race was another parade of fuel and tire management with follow the leader pit stops.

I understand it is the way to win, but, I still don't like it.
I especially don't like it in a 25minuit race... GT3 cars have a 26.4gal tank... and get approx. 8mpg's in racing conditions... that's 208miles... we are doing less than 40miles and being forced to consider pitting. On top of that the tires are usually good for 300+ miles...
Give us a 2 or 4 hour race with near-real world tire/fuel rates and lets be real.
/rant off.
Again, I commend your discipline...

Oh don't get me wrong in real world I completely agree with you, sprint racing isn't where fuel economy belongs and I can't stand it in F1!

I have to admit every couple of races I change and go hell for leather as it's more fun, I just use the economy route to stay competitive against better drivers :)
 
Cool approach. I'll have to give it a try.

Back when I had a racing group on GT6, we would do an economy race at Circuito de la Sierra. The Tesla had just enough juice to do a lap if you could stay off the throttle.
 
Tried it a few times at Interlagos, got pushed off the road in the last lap each time. It was fun in GT League with an N400 version in Suzuka endurance race, only 1 pit stop, pass the finish at 0% 1 minute in the lead, 20% bonus as well.
 
If you can handle failing tyres the Gr.3 GT-R will run 10 laps on map 1 at Interlagos. Easy podiums against faster drivers if you have a clean race.
 
Tried it with the Gr.3 SLS at Lago Maggiore. Not a good strategy with that combination...
I think I lost 4 positions in the end :sick:

I think I keep on racing as fast as I can and try an undercut, which works best in most scenarios. (Next race, I gained 5 positions with a perfect undercut)
 
Tried this tonight - started 10th, finished 4th in the M4 with fuel mix 2. Most other cars did the same though - only picked up one position from another car pitting, the rest were through attrition.
 
Tried this tonight - started 10th, finished 4th in the M4 with fuel mix 2. Most other cars did the same though - only picked up one position from another car pitting, the rest were through attrition.

At Brands? I found the M4 would do the full distance on map 1. Would have been fun with more laps or higher fuel/tyre usage.
 
At Brands? I found the M4 would do the full distance on map 1. Would have been fun with more laps or higher fuel/tyre usage.
Oh, really? I only played one race today so I just used the tips from this thread and tried to make it last the distance. That'll be where my pace went relative to the others in front then I guess.
 
I've had a couple of wins at Brands Hatch using this strategy. I'm also B/S and would not have won on pure speed (qualed in 10th) You can run fuel map 2 or 3 and not lose too much time because the track is not about power. I've tried at other tracks and not been as successful. Lake Maggiore is not good at all because the pit time delta seems very low (cars are in and out so fast), plus the track is long and 10 laps is going to be tough on the tires.
 
Back