Edge controller vs Dualsense controller, only lap times, not price or battery life.

• Thread starter Barareklam
  • 25 comments
Sweden
Sweden, Gothenburg
Highlanderlast
I read Edge is now released and some of you got it.

I am interested if any of you who got edge is getting faster lap times on GT7? That is my only question, and if you do, can you post numbers what car/track and time you have with edge and what with Dualsense. I am not intersted in battery life, price and so on, just if you who got it, can get better times or not?

Might be a while to see the effect with it. Having the paddles can help for shifting vs the face buttons and that can mean a lot. also having the trigger stops for accel and braking

Bound to be a bit quicker. Taller sticks give more precise inputs possible. When I used my pad I used Kontrol Freaks instead of the standard size analog sticks. That's about all I can see making a difference really.

Thought about it but seriously it is a long shot there is no I win button.
I’am pretty sure for some guys there is room for improvement but I use my thumb for shifting and nothing else.
Using the back paddle for shifting is more like wheel style so maybe for guys using controller and wheel it could be possible the greatest benefit.
And yes price and Akku 🔋 sucks.

Last edited:
I got the Edge but I'm bad with a controller so no point in testing my pace with it. There is different settings for the sticks to play with which could possibly make you faster. I set up a profile for shooter games so far but I'll experiment with GT7 at some point

In broader sense in German langauge a battery is non-rechargeable, rechargeables are called Akku(mulator) instead.
Though the rule isnt as easy as that, for example the battery in a car is still widely called battery instead of akku - just to add to confusion.
U save me 🥰😎

I am interested if any of you who got edge is getting faster lap times on GT7? That is my only question, and if you do, can you post numbers what car/track and time you have with edge and what with Dualsense. I am not intersted in battery life, price and so on, just if you who got it, can get better times or not?
I really don't think it will improve lap times to any noticeable degree, even adjusting the trigger stop for braking. Got mine more for the increased comfort and adjustability - I'll probably move L1/R1 to the back as my fingers rest there more comfortably than on the top.

I'll try to set some times this weekend with the regular DualSense and then see if there's any difference once I have the Edge set up how I like it.

Results of my completely unscientific testing says that the controller has no performance advantage. Maybe some more precision in the steering with the adjustable sticks but that's it. I'm slightly faster now because the back paddles have let me switch comfortably to manual shifting. If you want to spend £210 today solely to drive faster, buy a G29.

It's more for FPS - I suck at them but was racking up the kills in Battlefront 2 last night. This stormtrooper can shoot straight.

Last edited:
Results of my completely unscientific testing says that the controller has no performance advantage. Maybe some more precision in the steering with the adjustable sticks but that's it. I'm slightly faster now because the back paddles have let me switch comfortably to manual shifting.

It's more for FPS - I suck at them but was racking up the kills in Battlefront 2 last night. This stormtrooper can shoot straight.
yea so pretty much like the elite 2 controller as well , i would liked those backbuttons for shifting heh

yea so pretty much like the elite 2 controller as well , i would liked those backbuttons for shifting heh
Honestly a gamechanger for me. So much more control, can utilise the power better, can fuel save. Has revitalised my enthusiasm for the racing - I think I can get faster now in Sport, which is the main reason I’m still playing.

Honestly a gamechanger for me. So much more control, can utilise the power better, can fuel save. Has revitalised my enthusiasm for the racing - I think I can get faster now in Sport, which is the main reason I’m still playing.
I wish somebody made aftermarket back buttons for Dualsense like they were done on DS4 :(

Last edited:
I wish somebody made aftermarket back buttons for Dualsense like they were done on DS4 :(

I'm too scared to do this myself or buy a pre-modded one, hence the £200 Sony got out of me.

Last edited:
Any chance you can put your results in numbers, example : lap time for some track and car, with dualsense and with edge?

I havent yet driven and compared speeds, but with the options the Edge controller has, I think there is a bit of improvement possible.
Something everyone is aware of:
1675257348690.png

Higher sticks brings potentially better accuracy on input, though I have to admit I really like the Dual Sense sticks more, they have a better feel on the thump.

Something, that I wasnt aware of prior to actually starting up the controller for the first time is that we can change how stick input is interpreted. It also is possible to adjust the curve to be bigger or smaller.
1675257484740.png

1675257517474.png

The same goes for the triggers, they not only have a 3step button on the controller that allows for the input to be in the ranges of0-100, 0-50 (as the new 100%), or pretty much binary, but you can also change the software to have different min and max input:
1675257618560.png

With enough of practice (yet again) and fiddeling around, I do see room for improvements by having a bit more customizable controls.

I havent yet driven and compared speeds, but with the options the Edge controller has, I think there is a bit of improvement possible.
Something everyone is aware of:
View attachment 1227559
Higher sticks brings potentially better accuracy on input, though I have to admit I really like the Dual Sense sticks more, they have a better feel on the thump.

Something, that I wasnt aware of prior to actually starting up the controller for the first time is that we can change how stick input is interpreted. It also is possible to adjust the curve to be bigger or smaller.
View attachment 1227560
View attachment 1227561

The same goes for the triggers, they not only have a 3step button on the controller that allows for the input to be in the ranges of0-100, 0-50 (as the new 100%), or pretty much binary, but you can also change the software to have different min and max input:
View attachment 1227563

With enough of practice (yet again) and fiddeling around, I do see room for improvements by having a bit more customizable controls.
Great info, thanks for sharing. I personally use motion sensor steering. Are there some new options for that type of tilting?

I just wonder now after some time passed, you who got Edge and playing GT7 what are your impressions? Any faster times or better consistency or something else you would want to share for others that consider to get one ?

Laptimes are pretty much the same between both controllers, though I really like the improved touch of the Edge on the L2/R2, the place where you hold it and the sticks (after my first discomfort with the new ones)
What really has been a big bonus point to not only comfort but usuability and giving it an Edge over the normal DualSense are the customizable backbuttons, that for example can be used for shifters in GT7, or anything that would require directional buttons or L3/R3 presses in other games.

So, do they provide any advantage in games? Depends on the game, in case of GT7 and for me the answer is no. In other games I already see a big difference, like for example
  • Mechwarrior 5 jetboosters have been a pain to use with the DualSense as you would need to use both sticks for turning and moving but at the same time you would have to press a stickbutton - easier with a backbutton
  • Rainbow Six Extraction uses direction Up and Down for marking enemies or toggeling the flashlight/laser (applies to lots of shooters with any function on these buttons), otherwise I would need to let go of the left stick and stay still for whatever short amount of time.
  • Quite a few Soulslike that want you to use R1 and R2, but having R2 as your main feature there is my indexfinger, the middlefinger is faster on the backbutton compared to me switching index to R1 and middle to R2

The answer not asked for: is it worth it? I already have 2 of them for the backbuttons (features anyone can estimate if they would use it much) and feel (comfort, unfortunatly you would only be able to tell when having a controller to actually use for a few minutes).

And with the 2nd controller there is an additional answer to a question not yet heard:
Controllerprofiles are stored on the controller, so no matter on which console you play, no need to create a new setup there and when 2 Edge controllers are connected, the profiles can be "copied" to the other controller because the console is managing the software.

And with the 2nd controller there is an additional answer to a question not yet heard:
Controllerprofiles are stored on the controller, so no matter on which console you play, no need to create a new setup there and when 2 Edge controllers are connected, the profiles can be "copied" to the other controller because the console is managing the software.
Big thanks for you answer. But I got a bit more confused now regarding profiles. So if we are 2 people at home, and if we get only one Edge, and we both play GT7 but with different settings, example button mapping, sensitivity or so, then what, we need to adjust those settings every time we switch, or is controller profile per controller only, or can it be per account too?

The profiles are per controller.
The Edge controller has 2 FN buttons just below the sticks (you wont press them accidently), that are meant to switch profiles in just a press of FN+any of the 4 main buttons:
1681293619826.png

Triangle will always be a default profile with no changes.
The other 3 buttons can be mapped to any profile (didnt check how many can be created), and changing the mapped profile can also be done in just a few seconds.

Also possible is to use the FN button to adjust party chat volume and game volume, though this not working with Pulse 3d headset, as this piece of hardware is storing the volume on the hardware memory instead of console settings.

J'ai lu qu'Edge est maintenant disponible et certains d'entre vous l'ont compris.

Je suis intéressé si l'un d'entre vous qui a obtenu un avantage obtient des temps au tour plus rapides sur GT7 ? C'est ma seule question, et si vous le faites, pouvez-vous publier des chiffres sur la voiture / la piste et le temps dont vous disposez avec Edge et avec Dualsense. Je ne suis pas intéressé par la durée de vie de la batterie, le prix, etc., juste si vous qui l'avez, pouvez-vous obtenir de meilleurs temps ou non ?

Hello comrade. there is already a problem on the dualsense ps5 throttle on the acceleration trigger when you have 70% or 80% of the acceleration the game considers it at 100% do the test you will see on the display bar acceleration. pd needs to adjust the precision on the accelerator otherwise his precision will be ruined when coming out of turns and this has been going on for several updates and no one cares about that.

Hello comrade. there is already a problem on the dualsense ps5 throttle on the acceleration trigger when you have 70% or 80% of the acceleration the game considers it at 100% do the test you will see on the display bar acceleration. pd needs to adjust the precision on the accelerator otherwise his precision will be ruined when coming out of turns and this has been going on for several updates and no one cares about that.
Claiming that, you certianly can provide video evidence of the indicator bar making a sudden jump although you only press the respective button for small increments more than the moment before.
For example like this:

And I dont see it happen, it can just be that your controller is faulty.
Besides, what does your claim have to do with the topic?

Back