Ego-cam vs. Fan-cam

• Thread starter Kurzweil
  • 10 comments

Kurzweil

(Banned)
United States
Florida
Destinkeys
I was wondering what you all think about the choice of camera angles used to watch GT5 races...

Personally, as they stand, the are a very good selection if you want to watch YOU (or one other car), but they are pretty terrible much of the time if you want to watch the RACE! They fill the frame with your car (or one car) and you get to see little of the action around it.

Maybe, in future, PD could offer a choice of coverage, with wider angles for those that want to watch a race, not just themselves?!

Hopefully they do make other angles possible in the next game. I find GT5's replay angles a bit lacking. Have more angles of the interior, along the car, and maybe even a spectator view or a free cam. That would be really nice.

And you can always switch view to another car in replay mode if there's some action up ahead or just behind. Not totally ideal but, hey....

I've always thought about PD making a grandstand camera or being able to lock the track/corner cameras for viewing. It would also work in conjunction with photo mode. FM4 have excellent on track/corner camera angles that make the replays look just like a real race.

I really do like the replay camera angles for GT5 but some tracks do have rather... limited angles as well as like you said, filling the screen up with just your car.
It would be nice to have an option to zoom out to see more of the track and other cars.

Wouldn't it be cool if you got to pilot a helicopter to record the replay? Especially for online mode, in real time.

Imagine that, The Real Recording Simulator.

What they need to do is make a VITA app that will show me 8 screens of simultaneous replay so I can tap one and have it as the audience camera on the TV, just like in a real televised race.

off topic, also a VITA app to show live race information.

they wont do it either cheap, uncreative, or its cost prohibitive

More angles would be welcome indeed. I always found it a bit odd that the replay camera angles aren't available for photo mode as there are some really good distance shots, not to mention high up ones that could be pulled from the races.

Hopefully in future.

Another good reason for a more distant camera angle (I really like the idea of a 'helicopter-cam') is to help online League and lobby hosts review racing disputes after a session (don't get me started about the need for an in Lobby replay!). Current external shots make that a PITA, and you have to sit in the car of the two cars or hope a third was close enough to see it well.

PD could make this easier.

What they need to do is make a VITA app that will show me 8 screens of simultaneous replay so I can tap one and have it as the audience camera on the TV, just like in a real televised race.

off topic, also a VITA app to show live race information.

they wont do it either cheap, uncreative, or its cost prohibitive

The real producer simulator :)

It would be nice to have an option to select realistic cameras. When watching real races the cameras are rarely flying two meters ahead of the cars.

GT3 used to try to frame the "action", rather than just your car, depending on what mode it was in. So it's sort of been considered before, at least.

It's a lot better in these newer games, though, because the higher hardware power and higher potential screen resolution means the zooming is not as extreme as it used to be.

Back