Eldeorn's // Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91 // 530 PP // Sports Hard

• Thread starter Eldeorn
  • 8 comments
Sweden
Gothenburg
// UPDATED: New improved version 2014-03-09 //
// Understeer reduced, especially during throttle. Breaking improved. Better grip.
// For the Sports Soft tuning, check further down.

Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91 - Sports Hard Tyres

Tuned and tested offline on Tokyo R246.
Using a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.
Manual Gearbox, ABS1, Traction Control 5. All other aids disabled.

Specs:
530 PP
447 BHP
1.030 kg
Power Limiter 92.3%

Tyres:
Sports: Hard

Installed upgrades:
Aero Kit - Type A
Generic Wing - Type B
Fully-Customisable Suspension
Racing Brake Kit
Fully-Customisable Transmission
Fully-Customisable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Intake Tuning
Turbo Kit: Normal
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Transmission:
Max speed 300 km/h.

Suspension:
Ride Height: 125/125 ....... Breaks: 6/6
Spring Rate: 6.40/6.60
Compression: 4/4
Extension: 6/6
Anti-Roll Bars: 5/5
Camber: 0/0.3
Toe: -0.13/0.17

Drivetrain:
LSD: 9 /7/10

Body:
Downforce: 0/5
Ballast: 0

Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91 - Sports Soft tyres

Change the following values from the sports hard build:

Anti-rollbars: 6 / 6
LSD: 9/10/10

// OLD POST //

Hi. This is my first attempt at tuning in GT6, which proved to be quite tricky. Some kind fellows helped me out quite a bit, and credits are given to them further down in the post.

My goal was to tune this car to stabilize it and to get rid of the power oversteering (and spinning) that it suffered from when hitting the throttle while turning.
Some initial acceleration and nimbleness was lost, and understeering increased, but the improved stability makes it overall faster and alot more forgiving in higher speeds.

If anyone can tweak it to be faster or handle better without losing the cornering stability when hitting the pedal, your input is much appreciated :)

Please note that I didn't include any gearbox tuning, because, frankly, Im as good (or bad) as anyone else here when it comes to that.

Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91 (Old Version)

Sports Hard tyres.
Tuned and tested offline on Tokyo R246.

Specs:
530 PP
443 BHP
1,030 kg

Tyres:

Installed upgrades:
Aero Kit - Type A
Generic Wing - Type B
Racing Brake Kit
Fully-Customisable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Intake Tuning
Low RPM Turbo
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Suspension:
Ride Height: 110/140
Spring Rate: 6.30/7.30
Roll Bars: 5/5
Camber: 0/0
Toe: .10/.20
Brakes: 5/5

Drivetrain:
LSD: 10/6/10

Body:
Downforce: 0/25

Thanks to FussyFez for helping out with the original tuning,
and twodogsgolden, Ksquad, SGETI, Kavey, DolHaus, demonchilde for additional tuning tips.

/Cheers

Last edited:
Hi. This is my first attempt at tuning in GT6, which proved to be quite tricky. Some kind fellows helped me out quite a bit, and credits are given to them further down in the post.

My goal was to tune this car to stabilize it and to get rid of the power oversteering (and spinning) that it suffered from when hitting the throttle while turning.
Some initial acceleration and nimbleness was lost, and understeering increased, but the improved stability makes it overall faster and alot more forgiving in higher speeds.

If anyone can tweak it to be faster or handle better without losing the cornering stability when hitting the pedal, your input is much appreciated :)

Please note that I didn't include any gearbox tuning, because, frankly, Im as good (or bad) as anyone else here when it comes to that.

Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91

Tuned and tested offline on Tokyo R246 (National B Japanese 90's Cars).

Specs:
530 PP
443 BHP
1,030 kg

Tyres:

Installed upgrades:
Aero Kit - Type A
Generic Wing - Type B
Racing Brake Kit
Fully-Customisable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Intake Tuning
Low RPM Turbo
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Suspension:

Drivetrain:

Body:

Thanks to FussyFez for giving me the final input to make it work like intended,
and twodogsgolden, Ksquad, SGETI, Kavey, DolHaus, demonchilde for additional tuning tips.

/Cheers

One thing that you may want to give a try is to turn traction control to 0. At first it will be frustrating because it will take some time to getting adjusted to having to be more gentle on the throttle at corner exit but once you get the hang of it you will see how that rear end instability can be used to your advantage to rotate the car through the corners and get on the power earlier at corner exit.

Mazda éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91

Tuned and tested offline on Tokyo R246 (National B Japanese 90's Cars).

Specs:
530 PP
443 BHP
1,030 kg

Tyres:

Installed upgrades:
Aero Kit - Type A
Generic Wing - Type B
Racing Brake Kit
Fully-Customisable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Intake Tuning
Low RPM Turbo
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Suspension:

Drivetrain:

Body:

Thanks to FussyFez for giving me the final input to make it work like intended,

/Cheers
-(Manual Gearbox, ABS1, Traction Control 5. All other aids disabled.)by said control 5 do not need to look low-LSD work with 10/36/25

One thing that you may want to give a try is to turn traction control to 0. At first it will be frustrating because it will take some time to getting adjusted to having to be more gentle on the throttle at corner exit but once you get the hang of it you will see how that rear end instability can be used to your advantage to rotate the car through the corners and get on the power earlier at corner exit.

A big scary step to take for me ;) Ive driven with TC5 since dawn of man. But you're right, it might also be more fun in it's challenge (and faster when mastered). With the tune I have on it now, it should be fairly forgiving and easy to handle without TC.

-(Manual Gearbox, ABS1, Traction Control 5. All other aids disabled.)by said control 5 do not need to look low-LSD work with 10/36/25
Aye, the car do work with higher accel sens, however, the reason for the low value I have is to eliminate the issue with car spinning all the time in corners when I throttle even the slightest. I might have made it a bit too docile though, since it suffers from poor acceleration and nimbleness because of that setting. I will try your numbers though and see what the difference is.

Thanks for your input :)

TC5 does not prevent power oversteering in this case. Having as high as 36 makes the car undrivable pretty much. Cant throttle the slightest in a corner. I tried your setup that you posted in the other thread, and the car does handle better than mine (less understeer, more nimble, etc), but it still suffers from the power oversteer during throttle, and it's more unstable and sensetive to direction changes as well (compression too low on dampers or spring rate too low?).

I dont know how to fix this car except making it suck by using 6-7 accel sens. I actually dont think it can be made any good either way tbh. Spin around or suffer with heavy understeer, take a pick.

Possibly I need to learn to drive better though, because my times is simply pathetic in a car that handles like this one. With my car setup = 1m 56s with (sports hard) with tons of understeering, and yours i cant even get around a lap without spinning off, which gives times Im not proud to show.

xande1959: I just noticed that your reply and tune is based on Sports Soft tyres while mine is Sports hard, which makes a huge difference in both handling and lap times. That explains why Im having difficulties with keeping yours on the road. Ive made a much improved version of my tune that still is quite different from yours, however, with soft tyres, I manage to get pretty much same lap times with both tunes. Mine (still) has more understeer but are less tail happy and are easier to control in high speed during weight shifting, while yours handle better as long as you stay within limits.

The modifications Ive made based on my original tune, was to:
- increase the max speed to 280 km/h to fit the R246 track,
- increase ride height in front,
- lower the rear to .10 higher than front,
- reduce spring rates slightly and even it out between front and back,
- reduce rear down force to minimum,
- increase anti-roll 1 step (for soft tyres) and
- increase accel sens 3 steps (for soft tyres).
- increased break balance 1 step on both front and rear.

It reduced understeer alot, since front doesnt lift nearly as much on throttle as it did before.

I will post the updated version after Ive had some sleep. It would be interesting if you could give my version a go to compare how it works, and possibly point out if my approach to driving is dead wrong alltogether based on the setup I prefer (which might be the case - I've only played GT5 for about a year on and off, before getting GT6). I dont have a particular style yet apart from late breaking and pushing too hard while cornering most of the time. I pretty much adapt to the car Im rewarded with, where I prefer the balanced cars over the fiesty & difficult handling ones, thus missing out on the basics of driving crappy or plain deadly cars!

My fav car in GT5 was Toyota Minolta, and Honda Mobil1, which should tell plenty. Oh, and I did like Jaguar XJ13 striped version (preorder bonus) alot too, and that one was alot of fun when diving into corners and letting the tail spin in a controlled fashion!

/Cheers

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back