Electric Vehicles and YOU

What is your relationship with electric cars currently?

• I own an electric car as my only vehicle

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I own an electric car in addition to other non electric vehicles

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I am interesting in purchasing an electric car to use as my only vehicle

• I am interesting in purchasing an electric car as a secondary vehicle

• I would like to have an electric car, but I don't have a place to charge it at home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like to have an electric car, but I can't afford one

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I would like to have an electric car, but it doesn't work for my needs

• I am not interested in an electric car because of practical considerations (range, charging, etc)

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I am not interested in an electric car because I don't like them for personal reasons

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I am not interested in an electric car because there are no enthusiast models

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I may be interested in electric cars in the future, but no current models interest me

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I own an electric car now, but I plan to replace it with a non electric car

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
United States
Marin County
There are a number of threads about electric cars on these forums, but I haven't seen a poll to gauge actual ownership of them. I thought it might be interesting to see considering this group is largely car enthusiasts of some variety. I tried to think of a broad selection of answers, but if you think of one that should be on the list, ask to add it rather than choosing a different response. A year or two ago they felt like an absolute inevitability. That is remarkably less true now.

Most of the places I've lived I wouldn't have been able to charge the car at home, that's probably my biggest practical gripe...

However, as one of majority of car buyers that will never buy a new car, it's currently the underdeveloped used market that is the primary issue at the moment. The newest car I've ever owned is about 15 years old, so there's a fair chance I'll simply never own an EV before I die. That fact doesn't bother me.

Will mention that despite me not owning a electric car yet but am willing to buy one as my primary vehicle, there is one in the family currently (2022 Nissan Leaf SL+) and it's been an interesting experience so far with it. I personally love it aside from the color (it's the orange one but has blue SL+ exterior pieces that clash like nothing else) but without my dad being a qualified electrician to install the charging stuff it wouldn't have been an option.

The range isn't an issue with the Leaf... assuming you have the SL+ model, which has the large battery and averages 200 - 215 miles on a single charge - it's colder here right now so the range does vary a fair bit, but it gets my dad from home to work and back again comfortably and quietly, which is about as perfect a scenario as he could ask for.

It's actually those 2 factors that interest me the most for an electric car, I'd need at least something quiet given the road noise and general lack of sound deadening my daily has (Fiat 500). The GLI has that quietness and general high quality feel, but can be loud if you want it to be.

I just wouldn't ever buy a Tesla for obvious reasons, unless the opportunity to own a Roadster ever came up, that's my one exception.

Maybe when batteries reach the energy density of gasoline, or better, so that batteries are no longer weight burdens. Besides the weight issue they are generally more boring in both style and feedback, long charge times compared to filling a tank of gas, infrastructure issues (no charging in most apartments for example), and the obsession with 0-60 times instead of handling dynamics are all issues that need to be solved.

And then you have the high cost for anything actually fun, seeing as the cheapest EV sports car will be the upcoming Boxster/Cayman and those will probably start at $70-80k. Also batteries are expensive if one plans on keeping a car for more than 10 years.

Also like most cars now unfortunately, EV's are increasingly more connected, with questionable software security and a need for cellular/wifi connections. Nothing is analog simple in typical EV's, and they follow too closely to trends in smartphones and other techbro devices, which is not what I want in a car.

I may not own an EV myself but the one in my family (2022 Vauxhall Mokka-e) is probably the biggest mistake we've ever made. It was ordered back in February 2022 and ended up delayed by 9 months before we finally got it.

Since then EV incentives have been either reduced massively or scrapped entirely. Also in 2025, EV drivers will have to start paying road tax which was a primary reason for people buying EVs in the first place. Some public places that were free to charge are no longer the case. Plus there's not an abundance of charging places in my neck of the woods.

The Mokka's range has been pitiful as it gets nowhere close to the claimed 200 miles and will often need to be charged at home after just one round trip to Aberdeenshire. Even worse is that it's already been recalled at least 3 times.

Not only are the practical issues (price, range etc) a problem for me in wanting an EV, the lack of proper enthusiast models that can be as exciting and involving to drive as my Golf GTI is also a big deal breaker (even though the Ioniq 5 N does go some way to address the driver involvement)

Last edited:
I have zero interest in owning a fully electric car any time soon. We already have 2 newer vehicles, so buying another new one wouldn't be a smart decision, our current ice vehicles will still last longer than any EV being built today anyway. I'd argue my gas guzzling 4Runner will be cheaper to own than a similarly priced ev in the long term since they hold their value so well. If I wanted to sell it today I could get close to MSRP even though it's going on 4 years old. EVs do not hold their value well at all.

Even if I was in the market for a new car, I still wouldn't buy an ev. Our winters get too cold, they’re too expensive and there is very little infrastructure around here if you wanted to take a long trip. Not to mention they depreciate faster than German luxury cars and the cost to replace the battery long term could be very expensive. I would only buy a hybrid atm, something that could run on electric power around town but has an engine for long trips.

This is the kind of nightmare situation I want to avoid.

Last edited:
There are a number of threads about electric cars on these forums, but I haven't seen a poll to gauge actual ownership of them. I thought it might be interesting to see considering this group is largely car enthusiasts of some variety. I tried to think of a broad selection of answers, but if you think of one that should be on the list, ask to add it rather than choosing a different response. A year or two ago they felt like an absolute inevitability. That is remarkably less true now.
A bit off topic, but would you say as someone living in SF Bay Area that a majority, or at least plurality, of new vehicles you see on the roads are EVs? Here in central NJ, I'd estimate that EVs make up about 10-15% of all new cars on the road, with about half of those being Model 3 or Ys.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but would you say as someone living in SF Bay Area that a majority, or at least plurality, of new vehicles you see on the roads are EVs? Here in central NJ, I'd estimate that EVs make up about 10-15% of all new cars on the road, with about half of those being Model 3 or Ys.
Definitely not the majority. Maybe as high as 30 or 40%, depending on which part of the bay, but Hybrids are just as prevalent, if not more so. I would also say and there are tons of new ICE-only Corollas, Crosstreks, Tacomas, 4Runners, Rav4s, CRVs, CX5s, Tellurides, etc etc and such driving around. I'd say the single most popular car in the SF bay area is between the Rav4, CX5, and CR-V. There are also a metric **** ton of Audi Q5s, BMW X5s, and Mercedes GLEs being sold on a daily basis. Teslas have become so ubiquitous and their design so stagnant its hard for me to notice them anymore and even harder to tell if they are new or not. I haven't seen any of the facelifted 3s or Ys yet.

• I will no doubt own an electric car in the future, but i am in no rush for that to happen any time soon. Currently, i would also struggle to charge it from home.

Gas guzzlers all the way for me. Yeah, electric cars have better pick up/response and accelleration, but they have no SOUND, thus no soul. You're driving a Gran Turismo vacuum cleaner, instead of something you can feel and hear and experience.

I'll be hangin' with guzzling gassers until the gas runs out or i have to sell the house to fill the tank up.

Gas guzzlers all the way for me. Yeah, electric cars have better pick up/response and accelleration, but they have no SOUND, thus no soul. You're driving a Gran Turismo vacuum cleaner, instead of something you can feel and hear and experience.

I'll be hangin' with guzzling gassers until the gas runs out or i have to sell the house to fill the tank up.
Just wait until you hear about the new Dodge Charger.

Back