Electric vs AcousticMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sw3d1sh
  • 10 comments
  • 668 views
Messages
11
All us guitar players made the decision when we first picked up a guitar---electric or acoustic? Some choose electric, some choose acoustic, some choose both. Artists seem to be loving the duality these days as well, i.e. Foo Fighters' "In Your Honor," which consists of being half electric and half acoustic.
Which genres are better, music with electric or acoustic guitars? Please be honest, as I am currently trying to decide whether my band should focus on acoustic music or not.
 
Electric just has so much energy, but acoustic can have its place also. It shouldn't matter what we think is better, it should be which is more comfortable for your band.
 
I really love acoustic sound, but I think rock band should be based on electric guitar first.

I was always about electric guitar, didn't even like acoustic guitars. Then, got into Oasis one day. 99% of their album songs are electric guitar, but a lot of their b-sides were acoustic by Noel Galagher. Their earlier music, especially those acoustic songs were as good as the Beatles, so I turned 180 degrees to the acoustic guitars. I sold my elctric guitar and equipment for an acoustic guitar.

It's really cool when a loud rock 'n' roll band plays acoustic too, but it should be secondary to electric guitar first, IMO.
 
Awesome, thanks for the opinions. Yes, iceman, I know that I should play what I feel seems best for the band, but it's just fun knowing what others think. I agree with a6m5 about the loud bands going soft being ridonculous. Thanks.
 
They are totally different beasts... Just go with what you're more comfortable with and what best achieves your musical vision... we can't tell you definatively what to do!

Personally I'm electric all the way - there are more tricks to learn, plus the electric just has a greater dynamic for me, it has a greater emotional spectrum available for the player. Also, its a little scary to bend those annoying wound G strings on acoustic guitars either (I will just break them usually), so that puts me off- I like bending notes a lot!:)
 
I've grown up around acoustic guitars - even though I mainly play the drums, I play the guitar almost as much. I do like electrics, and they are a lot of fun to play; however, we have a few acoustics and theres usually one around somewhere that I can just pick up and play whenever.

I generally like the acoustic feel and sound better anyway - more 'organic' I suppose.
 
My first (and only to-date) guitar is an electric. Mind you, I'm thinking of getting an acoustic electric for portability and the ability to amplify it. But I'll always be a fan of electrics and distortion. :D

Although, each guitar is better in certain genres. There is no choice but electric in metal music, moderate rock bands might throw in an acoustic melody every now and then classical music is more suited to well, classical guitar.
 
Personally i rather Acoustic.. a great sound (im not the rock kind of person to be honest, unless its reasonably soft) although i love RATM... so im pretty messed up, lol (it all depends what mood im in).
IMO your band should probably be lead by the Electric guitar, as someone said before there are a lot more options that can be taken advantage of using the electric.
My Band consists of electric and Acoustic (we have a pretty unusual style, but it works for us)
So really it all depends on what feels best. and what sounds best.
 
I've got a question for all you guitar players. If you learn on an electric, can you pick up an acoustic and play just as well, or are there two completely different ways to playing them? I've also heard some people say that it's better to learn on an acoustic but the only reasons is because it gives you time to build up callouses and that acoustics cost much less than electrics so if you decide to quite playing, you won't be in teh whole several thousand dollers. This true?
 
Thanks a lot for those insightful opinions. I guess it's completely personal whether you like acoustic or electric more. Right now I'm leaning towards the electric and coming in with some acoustic songs here and there. Thanks again.

And Integra, there are many different theories concerning which one is a better beginner guitar, but most people I know started on electrics and have had no trouble whatsoever going from electric to acoustic. Electric is smoother and maybe easier to do certain things, but it shouldn't be too difficult to master the acoustic post-electric.
 
Back